PDA

View Full Version : Calls for more accent on handling skills. Same old - same old

Judd
11th Jul 2019, 14:27
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/investigations/Calls-from-Congress-to-Change-Pilot-Training-512561931.html

Extract from FSINFO.ORG 11 July 2019
Same old - same old. US Congress regurgitating calls for airline pilots to be given more manual flying to maintain handling skills. Let's be realistic. Lots of hands fluttering and lip service by regulators and manufacturers, but that's about all.

safetypee
11th Jul 2019, 15:45
Congress would benefit from reading the research reports from NASA, which they authorise - pay for.

“Hand-eye skills (instrument scanning and manual control), if initially well learned, are reasonably well retained after prolonged use of automation.
Cognitive skills, such as navigation and failure recognition and diagnosis, are prone to forgetting and may depend on the extent to which pilots follow along when automation is used to fly the aircraft.”
http://hfs.sagepub.com/content/56/8/1506.full.pdf

“When presented in the routine ways seen during training, pilots gave appropriate responses and showed little variability. However, when the abnormal events were presented unexpectedly, pilots’ responses were less appropriate and showed great variability from pilot to pilot.
The results suggest that the training and testing practices used in airline training may result in rote memorized skills that are specific to the training situation and that offer modest generalisability to other situations. We recommend a more complete treatment of abnormal events that allows pilots to practice recognizing the event and choosing and recalling the appropriate response.”
http://hfs.sagepub.com/content/55/3/477.full.pdf

Also from the ‘experience’ thread: https://www.pprune.org/10515409-post55.html

n5296s
11th Jul 2019, 19:37
Now, in 2019, Republicans in Congress are calling for the FAA to increase training requirements for pilots, especially foreign pilots
I wonder exactly how congress expects the FAA to deliver on that one?

Although I find it hard to disagree with the basic premise, the whole thing is incredibly jingoistic. Nasty untrained foreign pilots coming to the US and not knowing how to fly. Bet they breed like rabbits and force property prices down too.

Speaking as an FAA-licensed foreign pilot, I wonder how Part 61 will change? "must log at least 40 hours of flight time, unless they're smelly foreigners who weren't born in 'Merca, in which case they must log 500 hours of flight time..."

fdr
12th Jul 2019, 10:03

Although I find it hard to disagree with the basic premise, the whole thing is incredibly jingoistic. Nasty untrained foreign pilots coming to the US and not knowing how to fly. Bet they breed like rabbits and force property prices down too.

Speaking as an FAA-licensed foreign pilot, I wonder how Part 61 will change? "must log at least 40 hours of flight time, unless they're smelly foreigners who weren't born in 'Merca, in which case they must log 500 hours of flight time..."

As the good ol' US of A continues a rerun of 1933, then the congressional response is likely to be towards CAT 2 type restrictions and requirements for lord knows what for foreign aircraft visiting the kingdom. There are real issues with languages as the main issue for visiting operators, exacerbated by non standard dialog and procedures within the contiguous states. AZ214 was hard to see happen, and various wild rides out of LAX, and JFK have added to the level of some concern in general, but the current strident calls are very much the obfuscation of the current product related issues from brand B.

Increasing requirements for operations into the USA for Ferringhi's/Wei kuk in's/Gwailo's etc would be balanced by the response of the other countries directly without doubt; the US deciding to be further non compliant with ICAO than present could hold some unintended consequences. As the great trade deals being "negotiated" by the executive branch, introducing punitive responses particularly in light of the glass houses problems that are glaring would hit US products further.

The EU maintains a reasonably rational SAFA program, without the theatrics and noise that is emanating from Ft Fumble at present.

Last point, the industry has enough problems getting the manpower it has to crew the equipment it has acquired from A & B. The luxury of age limits may start to become intolerable against reinforcement actions on experience/competency issues that are vaping from them the building. Never boring in the land of fake news.

alf5071h
12th Jul 2019, 10:17
fdr, :ok:
Had difficulty with the “Ferringhi's/Wei kuk in's/Gwailo's etc”, so too did the web searches.

But in all else a very good overview; noting that there is no such thing as ‘fake news”, just redistributed ‘disinformation’.

bafanguy
12th Jul 2019, 11:32

They won't and/or can't. Don't bother listening to the 535 empty suits in Congress when they pontificate on subjects about which they know absolutely nothing. Unfortunately, they know nothing about anything except how to play the American electorate for the suckers we are...and get themselves reelected.