PDA

View Full Version : AI pilot 'sees' runway and lands automatically

golfbananajam
9th Jul 2019, 12:30
From the BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48908346 an extract of which is

An automatic pilot has landed a plane using image-recognition artificial intelligence to locate the runway.

At large airports, systems on the ground beam up the position of the runway to guide automatic systems.

But in late May a new AI tool landed a small plane carrying passengers, by "sight" alone at Austria's Diamond Aircraft airfield.

One expert said it could potentially improve flight safety

More in the article

Planet Basher
9th Jul 2019, 17:08
This means that airline pilots will be able to land at airports that lack ILS.

Nomad2
9th Jul 2019, 19:20
I remember an AI pilot doing an autoland at Jaipur, when he couldn't se anything. Burst half his tyres, swerved across the airfield and hit a tree.

Memo to self. Take a little fuel....

421dog
9th Jul 2019, 19:53
Not that I would ever try it (except in extremis), but I rather suspect the artificial vision on my Sentry which talks to my Ipad, which listens to my ADS-B might make for a more comfortable experience than did the raw-data, thousands-of-ILS,VOR and NDB approaches flown to "tee hee:ouch:" minimums (so as not to off-put the rest of the incoming 135 crowd who weren't looking forward to holding at 0400 local in a bloody snowstorm when some ****** decided to announce that he had insufficient flight visibility.

Selfloading
9th Jul 2019, 20:48
Oh, Yipee! Now we can all retire...
It's obviously time to shut down PPRuNe.

Would you mind hanging on a bit, at least until they can program the A.I with a very strong sense of self preservation.