PDA

View Full Version : TCAS

Milos Djurovic
7th Jul 2019, 19:51
Hi guys, this is my first post here so I am proud :D. I have question regarding TCAS. Yesterday, after touching down we got the massage that TCAS has failed. So we made a new flight plan for return flight not to be in RVSM. My question here is, does the ATC knows about it, except if advice them. A few controllers asked us to climb to flight level 310 and above.
Thank you in advance

gearlever
7th Jul 2019, 20:10
Go here.... (https://www.pprune.org/tech-log/459472-tcas-inoperative-rvsm.html)

Denti
7th Jul 2019, 21:14
Interesting, does your MEL indicate that TCAS is a requirement for RVSM?

Just checked my current MEL just to be sure, but again, it says:

Repair interval B, 1 installed, required 0, it needs a placard if inoperative, and for ops: may be inoperative. Note: TCAS system is not a requirement for operation in RVSM airspace.

Now, since we usually only operate within the ECAC airspace that may differ in other areas of the world, and in fact Egypt does allow an inoperative ACAS system, up to 10 days, however, only until a maintenance base is reached, so any return to base would require a repair before flying to Egypt again.

That said, if you file a flight plan below RVSM airspace, did you indicate unable for RVSM in your field 18 on the ATS flight plan? If not, the ATCOs can only see the filed flight level and therefore offer higher level if your type usually does fly higher levels, and if there is capacity available.

Intruder
8th Jul 2019, 04:06
From the 744 DDG: TCAS must be operative in Afghanistan for all flights operating at or above FL 240. In the event of a TCAS CAT "B" extension; the extension can not be greater than seven (7) days from the original DDG due date, for a total of ten (10) days to comply with the United Arab Emirates, India, and European Union maximum deferral requirement. The United Arab Emirates, India, and the European Union allow the TCAS (ACAS) to be deferred for a maximum of 10 days; however, a deferral is valid only until the aircraft transits a maintenance base. Annotate the deferral on the ATC Flight Plan in the Remarks section as "TCAS INOP". The location of the repair station must be designated at the time the item is deferred. This location may change on analysis of the fault and repair capabilities of the designated location.

Milos Djurovic
9th Jul 2019, 10:47
In my Mel it's not requirement for RVSM.
As far as I know, after doing some research the ATC does not know about this failure, but also you don't see other traffic, only visual. For Europe up to ten days you can fly with tcas fail, but Israel does not allow this.
Thank you guys for reply

Jim_A
10th Jul 2019, 18:23
The presence of TCAS is represented by a code attached to your aircraft type in the flight plan filed with ATC. There are a lot of different codes now, and I have a dispatcher who takes care of it, so I can't tell you what the code is. These codes tell ATC what capabilites your aircraft has.

Tomaski
11th Jul 2019, 00:24
The presence of TCAS is represented by a code attached to your aircraft type in the flight plan filed with ATC. There are a lot of different codes now, and I have a dispatcher who takes care of it, so I can't tell you what the code is. These codes tell ATC what capabilites your aircraft has.

Here's a reference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equipment_codes

Cak
11th Jul 2019, 21:25
In UK you cannot fly without TCAS for example
Technically, ATC is not able to tell if you have it or not. What is indicated on your flight plan, doesn't have to be true :)
So, you could try to cheat ATC, but having inspection after the flight, could get you in some quite serious problems

FlyingStone
12th Jul 2019, 06:04
In UK you cannot fly without TCAS for example

That's not true. See below from UK AIP ENR:

3.5.4 Operation of Aircraft When ACAS II is Unserviceable
3.5.4.1 The current TCAS II Minimum Equipment List permits TCAS II equipped aircraft to operate for up to 10 days with the equipment out of service. This position will be kept under review.
3.5.4.2 Due to the safety benefits arising from TCAS operations and the collaborative way in which it arrives at collision avoidance solutions any aeroplane with an unserviceable transponder as well as an unserviceable TCAS will not be permitted in UK airspace for which mandatory carriage of a transponder is required

You are prohibited from flying in UK airspace if you have both transponder and TCAS U/S. I imagine not many countries will allow airliners to fly IFR without transponder anyway, which is why most of them have 2 installed to begin with.

FlightDetent
12th Jul 2019, 07:00
Here's a reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equipment_codes And quite correctly it does not show TCAS / ACAS in the list. For countries who require an FPL indication, field 18 is used. It is not a navigation or communication equipment, but a surveillance box.