PDA

View Full Version : PPL in NAC - general info please

rossco18_uk
6th Aug 2002, 10:54
Hey there,
Just following on from the previous thread about NAC, would quite like to hear from people who are out there at the moment or have just come back. Generally, what did you find most challenging when you are/were out there? Also, what's the weather like at the moment? Accomodation? People you are staying with? Security? I am assuming hot and humid weather, but hopefully not too hot in September. Less than 4 weeks :cool: Did you find the RT took a while to get to grips with or was it something else? Also, any other info, whether it be on life out there in general or the flying would be fantastic. If you are from the UK, or any other place for that matter that took a while to get there, then did you find the jetlag made it tough for the first couple of days?

Ross

Less than 4 weeks to go now..... :D

Cahlibahn
6th Aug 2002, 16:13
How does licencing work for ab-initio trainees work in light of the new FAA regulations?

Bouncy Landing
6th Aug 2002, 21:30
Ross: NAC are good. I flew there 2 years ago this coming Sept, and will definately return if I'm in the locality.

It will be hot & probably hazy but should not be too humid. I'm a UK PPL so they just did me an hours FAA BFR & let me lose solo. RT took a little getting used to but most ATCOs were brilliant, especially if you put on your best British Airways accent! Dont hesitate to ask them to repeat - my biggest problem was recognising my call sign - they do it differently; often droping the N and first few numbers, and sometimes prefixing type i.e. a Cessna N1234Z can be 34Z or Cessna 34Z or N34Z, etc....

In contrast to the UK where most ATCs are pleased to "release" you ASAP, "Miami Center" (in effect a RAS) would not let go of me till I was almost on finals back at Naples.

Email Nikki Gentill at NAC if you have any doubts about the new visa requirements - she or her husband will be able to advise.

Enjoy

Ian

Capt BK
7th Aug 2002, 19:21
Will reply in a couple of weeks when I get back to wet your appetite!:D :D