PDA

View Full Version : Examiner Checking PICUS hours for ATPL Skill Test.??

bohpilot
5th Jul 2019, 09:30
My company have now said from guidance of the NL authority that hours flow by a copilot with as PF or PM can be classed as PICUS and eligible for ATPL hours requirements. Their argument is that in EASA there is no clear definition of Pilot in Command and it does not state that you have to be flying the aircraft to be Pilot in command so therefore PM duties can also be classed as PICUS.

As an examiner I am not happy with this and can in someway understand the logic, as a Captain when I fly as PM I also log all my hours as PIC.

What I need if some clear definition in EASA about PIC, but can't find it, can anyone else help?

Whopity
5th Jul 2019, 10:23
FLC010 Definitions
"Pilot-in-command" (PIC) means the pilot designated as being in command and charged with the
safe conduct of the flight.

"Pilot-in-command under supervision" (PICUS) means a co-pilot performing, under the supervision of
the pilot-in-command, the duties and functions of a pilot-in-command.

"Co-pilot" means a pilot operating other than as pilot-in-command, on an aircraft for which more
than one pilot is required, but excluding a pilot who is on board the aircraft for the sole purpose of
receiving flight instruction for a licence or rating.

rudestuff
5th Jul 2019, 11:44
What's the confusion? The PIC (or PIC/us) is nominated before the flight. It has nothing to do with PF or PM.

FlightDetent
5th Jul 2019, 15:44
The EASA definition is very clear, of what PIC and PIC(US) is. Oh, BTW, just doing PF job from RHS is not enough to log PIC(US) anyway.
PICUS flight time: provided that the method of supervision is acceptable to the competent authority, a co-pilot may log as PIC flight time flown as PICUS when all the duties and functions of PIC on that flight were carried out in such a way that the intervention of the PIC in the interest of safety was not required.

Hope your hard days will be over soon. :ok:

negativeclimb
5th Jul 2019, 15:46
Are you sure you are an examiner?