PDA

View Full Version : BA cabin crew enjoying themselves

blind pew
5th Jul 2019, 05:57
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7215339/British-Airways-cabin-crew-face-sack-naked-drunken-antics.html

Great to read of antics that we got up to in BEA in the 70s are still happening but to send them home to face the sack!
SHAME

5th Jul 2019, 06:21
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7215339/British-Airways-cabin-crew-face-sack-naked-drunken-antics.html

Great to read of antics that we got up to in BEA in the 70s are still happening but to send them home to face the sack!
SHAMEIndeed, times have changed in this PC charged world we live in today!Would like to know who "reported" the party crew?After 14 hours in a "steel tube" you gotta have some fun (within limits of course) so you can sleep, or not!

marchino61
5th Jul 2019, 06:23

SHAME

Double standards? Complain about drunk passengers, but not about crew running along a hotel corridor banging on everyone's doors and possibly waking them up?

Lantern10
5th Jul 2019, 06:33
Nothing wrong with a decent orgy now and again.

Maninthebar
5th Jul 2019, 07:24
Nothing wrong with a decent orgy now and again.

Decent? I've been doing it wrong all these years!

OvertHawk
5th Jul 2019, 07:29
Indeed, times have changed in this PC charged world we live in today!Would like to know who "reported" the party crew?After 14 hours in a "steel tube" you gotta have some fun (within limits of course) so you can sleep, or not!

After more than one cr@p nights sleep in airport hotels caused by idiots kicking off in corridors and banging on doors I have little sympathy.

There is indeed hypocrisy and double standards going on here. We rightly expect pax to respect the authority of the crew whilst onboard the aircraft and equally rightly ensure that any pax who is disruptive on non compliant is heavily sanctioned.

But when it some to the crew behaving like drunken louts and disrupting other people's rest (including other aircrew no doubt) it's "just letting off steam"? (Never mind that fact that the alcohol involved was "smuggled" off the aeroplane - is that another word for "stolen"?)

They're on the company's time and representatives of the company and the industry. It's entirely proper that this become a disciplinary issue.

I have no doubt that my comments will be met with choruses of "bet you're great fun downroute" etc - I am great fun when it's appropriate but I also know when to keep my head down and behave responsibly and would fully expect to be sanctioned / sacked if I stepped across the line.

OH

emeritus
5th Jul 2019, 07:42
It is/was my view that you can have more fun in the room than in the corridor. " Nudge, nudge,wink, wink, say no more!"

Mr Mac
5th Jul 2019, 07:55
Some time ago I walked into the lobby in the early hours of a certain hotel in Cape Town after a night out with colleagues, only to find two of BA finest Essex / Mancunian girls having, what can only be described as a Cat fight a top a grand Piano while I presume there Captain and FO were trying to get them off it. I would love to know how they squared that with the hotel, as there was some damage to the Piano which looked like it could be expensive to repair. Incidentally the Mancunian won on points in my and my colleagues estimation.
Regards
Mr Mac

a5in_the_sim
5th Jul 2019, 07:56
There is no “right” or “wrong” only “getting caught”!?!?!

vascodegama
5th Jul 2019, 08:12
I would say that they were lucky the local police were not involved; a sacking would be the least of their problems out there.

Planemike
5th Jul 2019, 08:54
Certainly hope they do not loose their jobs.............

Gordomac
5th Jul 2019, 09:13
BlindPew ; Agree. Fun time been toned down since the 70's though by the PC partypoop brigade. I was called in, only once, and advised to moderate but the Fleet Boss was also a Party-animal and we both just fell about larfing. Millions of recall but one springs to mind in BGR Maine where there was a bang on the door & a BA Captain, empty glass in hand, Bottle of whisky in the other and a tooth-brush in his night-shirt pocket exclaimed;" Won't get any sleep next to you lot tonight, so, I thought I would join you !" Marve !

Hotel Tango
5th Jul 2019, 09:39
I agree with OvertHawk's post. One thing I just cannot tolerate are inconsiderate idiots who party and make a lot of noise in hotels in the middle of the night, whoever they may be! The sack? No, unless they do it again!

Repos
5th Jul 2019, 11:02
Vandalism? Singapore? - Remember Michael Peter Fay?

On Track
5th Jul 2019, 11:49
There is never any excuse for this sort of behaviour by ANYONE. And I might add that as a passenger I've always found BA to be a most unimpressive airline, with very poor cabin service. Will never fly with them again.

blind pew
5th Jul 2019, 12:23
Used to do a 14 hour day ending up in Chicago..as we checked in at mid day and the cabin only had 20 hours off duty there was no chance of a party. Hotel made us wait for 2 hours plus in a corridor before we got the out going crew rooms. Hotel always gave the FO a room adjacent to their hospitality room which partied until the early hours..add six hour time difference. So please don't just slag the crews off.
Our company hotel in Boston was even worse as the toilets were used as a gay playground.. stable doors on the cubicles with two pairs of trousers around ankles and a lot of groaning. Complained to front desk as loos open to public and children...tried 3 languages starting with switzerdeutsch before I realised they were part of the depraved circle.
Spare a thought for the girls in the 70s were sexual assault was part of the job description and accidental coffee pot spillage was the only remedy (along with the frequent crashes and tropical diseases).

racedo
5th Jul 2019, 12:30
Off duty and not wearing company uniform then a paid suspension equal to the number of days before next flight and a warning not to get caught.

er340790
5th Jul 2019, 16:45
If you all buy me a drink sometime, I MIGHT tell you what I saw a Gulf Air crew getting up to in a Hong Kong hotel back in 1989! :oh: :oh: :oh:

TFE731
5th Jul 2019, 20:20
If you all buy me a drink sometime, I MIGHT tell you what I saw a Gulf Air crew getting up to in a Hong Kong hotel back in 1989! :oh: :oh: :oh:

My Dad was CP of Gulf Air in 1989, I’m intrigued to hear your story but I doubt I would be surprised.

golfyankeesierra
5th Jul 2019, 22:06
Pictures (preferably video), or it didn’t happen!

FrequentSLF
6th Jul 2019, 01:37
Is a no event... they were naked, not wearing any uniform, hence they could even sue the hotel for breaking their privacy.
BA should stay out of it, everybody has is own private life, might give them a reprimand, or someone is saying that everybody that is acting unruly in a pub or in a hotel when not in service should be sacked?

Meester proach
6th Jul 2019, 03:24
Is a no event... they were naked, not wearing any uniform, hence they could even sue the hotel for breaking their privacy.
BA should stay out of it, everybody has is own private life, might give them a reprimand, or someone is saying that everybody that is acting unruly in a pub or in a hotel when not in service should be sacked?

not the same at all, it’s fairly obvious who a crew are in a hotel and they still represent the company downroute - they are still at work.

i used to enjoy all this stuff 20 years ago, but woe betide anyone waking me up these days

6th Jul 2019, 04:57
After more than one cr@p nights sleep in airport hotels caused by idiots kicking off in corridors and banging on doors I have little sympathy.

There is indeed hypocrisy and double standards going on here. We rightly expect pax to respect the authority of the crew whilst onboard the aircraft and equally rightly ensure that any pax who is disruptive on non compliant is heavily sanctioned.

But when it some to the crew behaving like drunken louts and disrupting other people's rest (including other aircrew no doubt) it's "just letting off steam"? (Never mind that fact that the alcohol involved was "smuggled" off the aeroplane - is that another word for "stolen"?)

They're on the company's time and representatives of the company and the industry. It's entirely proper that this become a disciplinary issue.

I have no doubt that my comments will be met with choruses of "bet you're great fun downroute" etc - I am great fun when it's appropriate but I also know when to keep my head down and behave responsibly and would fully expect to be sanctioned / sacked if I stepped across the line.

OH
Indeed, I agree with your comments which is why I stated "within limits".

There is a fine line between "fun" and being able to enjoy the evening without disrupting others.

crewmeal
6th Jul 2019, 05:23
I MIGHT tell you what I saw a Gulf Air crew getting up to in a Hong Kong hotel back in 1989!

Back in my long haul days what went on down route stayed down route. But then we didn't have social media and other technology, we managed with Kodak Brownie cameras.

ThreeThreeMike
6th Jul 2019, 05:38
Back in my long haul days what went on down route stayed down route. But then we didn't have social media and other technology, we managed with Kodak Brownie cameras.

​​​​​​And even then, the chances were good the film processing lab wouldn't return the photos and bin them.

Blind Squirrel
6th Jul 2019, 06:07
Spare a thought for the girls in the 70s were sexual assault was part of the job description and accidental coffee pot spillage was the only remedy...

I've heard some of those stories (from ex-PAWA cabin crew, not BA), and they are indeed appalling. Those may have been the good old days for the people who were dishing it out. Definitely not for those who were forced to take it.

Andy_S
6th Jul 2019, 09:35
BA should stay out of it, everybody has is own private life.........

Including the hotel guests who were trying to get some sleep.........

This crew were on BA business, staying in hotel accommodation paid for by BA. Damn right that BA took an interest.

Planemike
6th Jul 2019, 10:21
Including the hotel guests who were trying to get some sleep.........

This crew were on BA business, staying in hotel accommodation paid for by BA. Damn right that BA took an interest.

Lay off them.........just a bit of fun. Don't be such a misery guts.

As I said in an earlier message I trust they do not lose their employment.

ManaAdaSystem
6th Jul 2019, 10:27
Naked BA longhaul crew? I get some very disturbing pictures in my head!

They should claim insanity by fatigue and sue the company.

777boyo
6th Jul 2019, 10:28
In 1989, every layover in Gulf Air was a party........the beach and surrounding bushes in AUH Gulf Hotel only came to life about 0200 local:). Rababa - ah, happy days!!

TFE731 - are you M or S?

7B

campbeex
6th Jul 2019, 11:08
As I said in an earlier message I trust they do not loose their employment.

"lose", not "loose".

Hotel Tango
6th Jul 2019, 11:32
Lay off them.........just a bit of fun. Don't be such a misery guts.

Easy for you to say when you're not in a room next to theirs, trying to get some sleep before your 5AM (or earlier) call!

wondrousbitofrough
6th Jul 2019, 11:37
Naked BA longhaul crew? I get some very disturbing pictures in my head!

They should claim insanity by fatigue and sue the company.

The age of some of them, dementia, surely:cool:

Planemike
6th Jul 2019, 11:37
Easy for you to say when you're not in a room next to theirs, trying to get some sleep before your 5AM (or earlier) call!

Agreed...........!!

Final 3 Greens
6th Jul 2019, 12:20

I don't know how employment works in Alabama, but in England and Wales, gross misconduct is a dismissable offence and running down a hotel corridor, naked, certainly falls under that category. You don't need to be in uniform, if you are representing your company (and checking in as staff would likely meet that test), then it is expected that the behaviour would be appropriate.

What you do, discreetly, is of course your own business, so long as it does not break any laws.

Kerosene Kraut
6th Jul 2019, 12:22
Other people got away with it before and that's okay to me. Young people just like to party.

Planemike
6th Jul 2019, 13:04
I don't know how employment works in Alabama, but in England and Wales, gross misconduct is a dismissable offence and running down a hotel corridor, naked, certainly falls under that category. You don't need to be in uniform, if you are representing your company (and checking in as staff would likely meet that test), then it is expected that the behaviour would be appropriate.

What you do, discreetly, is of course your own business, so long as it does not break any laws.
Bet you are a real "live wire" at a party........!!! Enjoy life, have some fun ... !!

IcePack
6th Jul 2019, 13:12
Funny old world. When their is a room party everyone gets upset due noise, with threats of dismissal. When the hotel has a function with lots of noise. That is OK. Well as far as airline management are concerned.
:)

swh
6th Jul 2019, 13:38
“Three British Airways (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/british_airways/index.html) cabin crew face the sack”, is that some new development in the game where the three were sitting on the floor while another player walks by with bollocks at eye height ?

bill fly
6th Jul 2019, 14:05
Getting ripe for Jet Blast here...

bill fly
6th Jul 2019, 14:06
...getting ripe for Jet Blast here...

LowObservable
6th Jul 2019, 14:36
It's been a while since I was on a flight where there was more than one FA that I'd even want to see that way.

gearlever
6th Jul 2019, 14:48
“Three British Airways (https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/british_airways/index.html) cabin crew face the sack”,

Dead heading...?

etrang
6th Jul 2019, 17:45
Seeing BA crew naked: cruel and unusual punishment.

krismiler
6th Jul 2019, 18:34
Keep it quiet, make sure everyone consents and keep it in the room. As stated earlier, "What goes on down route, stays down route."

If people didn't draw attention to themselves like these fools did there wouldn't be any problems.

bugged on the right
6th Jul 2019, 18:35
What ever happened to the sticky for the letter from the Qantas captain to his boss explaining why he and his crew were declared persona non grata after an evening of fun in a hotel room? I miss the days of room parties. There was the odd sanctimonious prig but he would not be invited. Best days behind us.

Final 3 Greens
6th Jul 2019, 20:37
Bet you are a real "live wire" at a party........!!! Enjoy life, have some fun ... !!

Why don't you try reading my post again? I wasn't expressing an opinion on the behaviour, just clarifying the law for the benefit of the poster from the US, who thought the people's jobs would not be at jeopardy.

parabellum
7th Jul 2019, 07:17
The rules have obviously been relaxed. In Laker days, staying in the airport Excelsior Hotel in MAN the requirement, at about 0200, not much before, was to run naked from the room, touch the front doors and back to the room. Least noise possible in order not to attract the wrong sort of attention. Definitely no banging on others doors. A 'runner' from the previous sortie would be at the door to check!

Longtimer
8th Jul 2019, 00:05
not the same at all, it’s fairly obvious who a crew are in a hotel and they still represent the company downroute - they are still at work.

i used to enjoy all this stuff 20 years ago, but woe betide anyone waking me up these days

Still at work? Does that mean they are drawing pay for their down time?

hans brinker
8th Jul 2019, 04:32
Still at work? Does that mean they are drawing pay for their down time?

Well, I get paid 1 hour for every 3.5 hours I am away from home (or block if better, but normally it isn't), so yes, I get paid while in the hotel. It is pretty easy, don't behave like an a$$ while on a work trip. I remember 2 decades ago some of the young ones having fights in the hallways with the fire extinguishers and such, but (sadly?) that kind of fun isn't allowed anymore.

CDRW
8th Jul 2019, 12:51
Ahh those Golden Falcon days...waking up in a room that looked like it had been bombed. A few bodies, lots of empty cans and bottles ( and I mean ALOT), ash trays filled to the brim (could smoke in rooms then). Wine stains on the carpet walls and ceiling. Chocolate - well it looked like and tasted like chocolate- all over the mirror.

A quite word with the manager.. " give me a figure and it stays here" was how it went. BD200 was then split amongst the revelers. And all that hooch... courtesy of that Glorious Golden Budgie.

Today....well ....chalk and cheese.

Those BA crew.. sure slap them around a bit, read them the riot act. But termination ?

777boyo
8th Jul 2019, 13:28
CDRW - Gulf Hotel MCT during Gulf War 1 by any chance😳?
7B

CDRW
8th Jul 2019, 14:01
777byo
you got it - But that certainly wasn't the one and only time. But that was the worst (best)
Rad Gammage (RIP) Steve Coyle the Tony Coyle could generally get a party going...

Anyway we digress....

Weapons Grade
9th Jul 2019, 08:48
What ever happened to the sticky for the letter from the Qantas captain to his boss explaining why he and his crew were declared persona non grata after an evening of fun in a hotel room? I miss the days of room parties. There was the odd sanctimonious prig but he would not be invited. Best days behind us.

I checked my archives - bugger! It's no longer there.
If anyway has a copy, I would certainly appreciate getting one. Please PM me with the details.
Regards

mustafagander
9th Jul 2019, 11:00
Yeah I remember the GODs fondly when nobody had a camera.
We were regularly part of BOAC parties in the outports - they liked us colonials! Scarpering around in the nuddy was more or less SOPS as was the ensuing hangover!!
The customary ending at checkout was the hotel duty manager presenting all the participants with a bill for the damage and accepting their cheque. All was then forgotten.
If you're thinking about the "Curtain Letter" WG, I'll try to find it and post it here. Bloody brilliant!!

mustafagander
9th Jul 2019, 11:44
Ah, found it. Ignore the name of the mythical airline please. I'm too lazy to remove it.
The following letter purports to be a letter from a Captain answering his Chief Pilot's
"Request for further information."

Sir,

In your icy, indeed hostile, telephone call of yesterday, you requested a report about the alleged proceedings involving my crew at the Qantas 75th Birthday celebration at the slip port. As the reports from the local authorities and the head of the Australian legation were undoubtedly a complete fabrication, I take the opportunity to put the truth of the matter on file.

Qantas management's kind offer to "buy a round of drinks" was taken on board by the crew who decided to upgrade the event to its correct status, so appropriate quantities of libation and food were purchased, with festivities being held in my hotel suite. An enjoyable evening ensued but insufficient supplies had been obtained, so several members of the crew left for further purchases at a local bar.

In a truly magnanimous gesture, ten bar girls from that establishment helped carry the beer back to the hotel. To demonstrate our appreciation of their assistance, we served them some cool drink. They then offered to show us some local culture, and, in order not to offend, we allowed them to dance some exotic dances.

The banging on the walls of my room had, by now, quite honestly, become invasive, and it was disturbing the dancers, so we arranged an amusing little deterrent. S/0 Brown's impersonation of the Police Officer was excellent! In full Qantas uniform, with an aluminum rubbish bin upside down on his head, he goose-stepped to each room and harangued the occupants with a very witty diatribe about disturbing hotel guests. I personally heard nothing of his alleged threats of life in Alcatraz or the Gulags, claimed by the sister of the Minister of Police whose room was, unluckily, next door.

I have no doubt that this woman was the sneak who called security and hotel management and I absolutely refute that the shout "Look out, here come the Indians! Circle the wagons!" was made. The simple coincidence of security arriving just as we stood the double bed on its side across the door to make the dance floor bigger is obvious. The major damage to the room occurred when a group of gate crashers, whom we could not know were hotel security, forced their way in just as most of us happened to be leaning against the bed watching the dancing.

The subsequent events in the foyer of the hotel are an equally vicious distortion of the facts. I was explaining the importance of the 75th Birthday to the General Manager of the hotel and noting that other guests were fabricating stories of noise, drinking and singing at the celebration, when F/O Smith (ex-SAS) and several other keep-fit enthusiasts, in keeping with their almost monastic pursuit of health, organised the race up the drapes which hang along the foyer wall. It says nothing for the workmanship of some of these nations that the fittings were torn from the wall before most of the crew were even halfway up. At this stage, in an amazing display of international posturing, the Governor of the city, who was attending the National Day cocktail party in the foyer, cast some denigrating remarks about Australian culture.

Although he misunderstood our gestures of greeting, female flight attendant Williams rescued the situation with her depth of knowledge of local culture. Her rendition of the Fertility Dancing Maiden in the foyer's 'Pool of Remembrance' was nothing short of breathtaking. Normally this dance is performed wearing just a sarong skirt so FFA Williams' extra step to nature was a bold step forward. Unfortunately, during one intricate step, FFA Williams slipped and fell beneath the fountain, so we were lucky that S/0 Brown, who had the great presence of mind to strip to avoid getting his uniform wet, leapt in to help.

That the tiles of the pool were slippery is beyond dispute, as it took nearly ten minutes of threshing about before S/O Brown could actually complete his rescue. Such concern was there for these two exemplary crew member's safety, that the rest of the crew were forced to assist, and I deny that this massed altruistic rescue attempt could be construed as a 'Water Polo' game! This slanderous accusation was first put to me by the Chief of the Riot Squad, whose storm troopers had apparently been called by some over zealous Fascists at the cocktail party.

Order had nearly been restored when the fire started. I prefer F/O Smith's version of events that the drapes had caught fire from being against a light fitting, and that he dropped his cigarette lighter whilst trying to escape the flames. Had host management fulfilled their responsibilities and used fire retardant material instead of velvet, the fire would not have spread to the rest of the hotel. The responsible attitude shown by my crew in assisting the bar staff to carry out drinks from the cocktail party is to be commended, not condemned, and the attempt by male members of the crew to extinguish pockets of fire using natural means has been totally misrepresented in some quarters. I cannot overstate how strongly I resent the assertions made in the Chief Fire Officer's report.

I made an official protest about these matters when the head of the Australian Legation visited us at the Police Station the next morning. However, not only did Ambassador Jones not attempt to refute the preposterous allegations made against me and my crew, but also by failing to secure our release immediately, caused the subsequent aircraft delay. I did not know Her Majesty was to be aboard our aircraft, but I am sure that her 12-hour visit to that country was appreciated by local dignitaries and probably HRH herself. (I must mention that the local manager is far too obsequious - Smarmy! Smarmy! You should have seen him bowing and scraping. Never make a Prime Minister, that chap!)

Finally, I note that not since 'Rainman' has Qantas been mentioned in so many newspapers. (Some people in Qantas would die for coverage like that.) The main newspaper at the slip port incidentally mentioned Qantas 75 times on its front page alone, although some of the coupled epithets can only be described as the worst journalistic excesses of the gutter press.
I trust that now I have outlined the correct version of events, we may allow ourselves a discreet smile as to the lack of social sophistication of some of these developing nations and put all this behind us. As far as I am concerned, the crew carried on the finest Qantas traditions.

Regards, Captain......

Weapons Grade
9th Jul 2019, 11:58
Ah, found it. Ignore the name of the mythical airline please. I'm too lazy to remove it.
The following letter purports to be a letter from a Captain answering his Chief Pilot's
"Request for further information."

Sir,

In your icy, indeed hostile, telephone call of yesterday, you requested a report about the alleged proceedings involving my crew at the Qantas 75th Birthday celebration at the slip port. As the reports from the local authorities and the head of the Australian legation were undoubtedly a complete fabrication, I take the opportunity to put the truth of the matter on file.

Qantas management's kind offer to "buy a round of drinks" was taken on board by the crew who decided to upgrade the event to its correct status, so appropriate quantities of libation and food were purchased, with festivities being held in my hotel suite. An enjoyable evening ensued but insufficient supplies had been obtained, so several members of the crew left for further purchases at a local bar.

In a truly magnanimous gesture, ten bar girls from that establishment helped carry the beer back to the hotel. To demonstrate our appreciation of their assistance, we served them some cool drink. They then offered to show us some local culture, and, in order not to offend, we allowed them to dance some exotic dances.

The banging on the walls of my room had, by now, quite honestly, become invasive, and it was disturbing the dancers, so we arranged an amusing little deterrent. S/0 Brown's impersonation of the Police Officer was excellent! In full Qantas uniform, with an aluminum rubbish bin upside down on his head, he goose-stepped to each room and harangued the occupants with a very witty diatribe about disturbing hotel guests. I personally heard nothing of his alleged threats of life in Alcatraz or the Gulags, claimed by the sister of the Minister of Police whose room was, unluckily, next door.

I have no doubt that this woman was the sneak who called security and hotel management and I absolutely refute that the shout "Look out, here come the Indians! Circle the wagons!" was made. The simple coincidence of security arriving just as we stood the double bed on its side across the door to make the dance floor bigger is obvious. The major damage to the room occurred when a group of gate crashers, whom we could not know were hotel security, forced their way in just as most of us happened to be leaning against the bed watching the dancing.

The subsequent events in the foyer of the hotel are an equally vicious distortion of the facts. I was explaining the importance of the 75th Birthday to the General Manager of the hotel and noting that other guests were fabricating stories of noise, drinking and singing at the celebration, when F/O Smith (ex-SAS) and several other keep-fit enthusiasts, in keeping with their almost monastic pursuit of health, organised the race up the drapes which hang along the foyer wall. It says nothing for the workmanship of some of these nations that the fittings were torn from the wall before most of the crew were even halfway up. At this stage, in an amazing display of international posturing, the Governor of the city, who was attending the National Day cocktail party in the foyer, cast some denigrating remarks about Australian culture.

Although he misunderstood our gestures of greeting, female flight attendant Williams rescued the situation with her depth of knowledge of local culture. Her rendition of the Fertility Dancing Maiden in the foyer's 'Pool of Remembrance' was nothing short of breathtaking. Normally this dance is performed wearing just a sarong skirt so FFA Williams' extra step to nature was a bold step forward. Unfortunately, during one intricate step, FFA Williams slipped and fell beneath the fountain, so we were lucky that S/0 Brown, who had the great presence of mind to strip to avoid getting his uniform wet, leapt in to help.

That the tiles of the pool were slippery is beyond dispute, as it took nearly ten minutes of threshing about before S/O Brown could actually complete his rescue. Such concern was there for these two exemplary crew member's safety, that the rest of the crew were forced to assist, and I deny that this massed altruistic rescue attempt could be construed as a 'Water Polo' game! This slanderous accusation was first put to me by the Chief of the Riot Squad, whose storm troopers had apparently been called by some over zealous Fascists at the cocktail party.

Order had nearly been restored when the fire started. I prefer F/O Smith's version of events that the drapes had caught fire from being against a light fitting, and that he dropped his cigarette lighter whilst trying to escape the flames. Had host management fulfilled their responsibilities and used fire retardant material instead of velvet, the fire would not have spread to the rest of the hotel. The responsible attitude shown by my crew in assisting the bar staff to carry out drinks from the cocktail party is to be commended, not condemned, and the attempt by male members of the crew to extinguish pockets of fire using natural means has been totally misrepresented in some quarters. I cannot overstate how strongly I resent the assertions made in the Chief Fire Officer's report.

I made an official protest about these matters when the head of the Australian Legation visited us at the Police Station the next morning. However, not only did Ambassador Jones not attempt to refute the preposterous allegations made against me and my crew, but also by failing to secure our release immediately, caused the subsequent aircraft delay. I did not know Her Majesty was to be aboard our aircraft, but I am sure that her 12-hour visit to that country was appreciated by local dignitaries and probably HRH herself. (I must mention that the local manager is far too obsequious - Smarmy! Smarmy! You should have seen him bowing and scraping. Never make a Prime Minister, that chap!)

Finally, I note that not since 'Rainman' has Qantas been mentioned in so many newspapers. (Some people in Qantas would die for coverage like that.) The main newspaper at the slip port incidentally mentioned Qantas 75 times on its front page alone, although some of the coupled epithets can only be described as the worst journalistic excesses of the gutter press.
I trust that now I have outlined the correct version of events, we may allow ourselves a discreet smile as to the lack of social sophistication of some of these developing nations and put all this behind us. As far as I am concerned, the crew carried on the finest Qantas traditions.

Regards, Captain......
Mustafa
Priceless.. simply priceless!
Thanks

capngrog
9th Jul 2019, 15:48
Wow, that was just a celebration of Qantas' 75th anniversary. Since next year, 2020 will mark 100 years since its founding, I expect that we will see similar robust celebrations on the part of Qantas crew during their layovers. Well, maybe not. It seems that crews and crew layovers are not quite the same these days.

Cheers,
Grog

blind pew
10th Jul 2019, 02:27
Summer Glifada where QA crew had a crew house..supper in a beach side restaurant with the rest of a Trident crew and a couple of motocross bike weave their way between the tables (occupied)..down the wooden staircase onto the beach ..back up onto the pavement..in through the restaurant doors ..back around the tables..etc
after a couple of laps they buggared off. No one said anything except pass the retsina or domestos

slowjet
10th Jul 2019, 09:04
Mods cheerfully allowing this to morph, a bit. Deep joy, keep it going to ,maybe, the " Best Crew Party of All Time " ? Then it'll be moved to Jetblast. Meantime, I offer that Legacy carriers wrote the book. Best mate failed Hamble Selection in 1964. He pursued the matter with every improvement he made in his CV but was informed that the selection decision was final. Still pleading for another go, dear old AH Abbott finally informed him that he had failed to display "All of the qualities, in sufficient strength, that we are obliged to seek in a potential BOAC Captain". Matey wrote back saying that he was interested only in a BOAC VC10 Second Officer position so that others could fly him from one room party to another. Abbott never wrote back.

mustafagander
10th Jul 2019, 10:36
The party story is fiction remember!!!
There were, let's say, uninhibited partaking of many bevys in many ports during the GODs. Unlikely to happen again sadly. Too many cameras and too many people wanting to curry favor by dobbing people in.
Anyway, I'm retired now. I hereby swear that I was not part of any outrageous party behavior ever. Fingers firmly crossed.
Wasn't it a great era - serious when we needed to be and having fun at other times?

blind pew
10th Jul 2019, 13:55
ANC..Bird house..in the middle of no where..mud and sawdust floor..all at an angle as were the walls due to earthquakes. Walls adorned with clean, soiled and monogramed underwear..then back to the hotel.
First trip 17 days Tokyo...met a former colleague ex chief on the gripper and asked for info..
school bus, large black female driver..asked by new girl..demur public school
"excuse me ma'am what is there to do in Anchorage? "
southern drawl
" well honey in Sommer there's fishing and f##king and in winter there aint no fishing"
Very red faced young lady..apparently not wot they learn at boading school nor the dorms".
Birb house sadly no more as burnt down.

NWstu
10th Jul 2019, 14:17
ANC..Bird house..in the middle of no where..mud and sawdust floor..all at an angle as were the walls due to earthquakes. Walls adorned with clean, soiled and monogramed underwear..then back to the hotel.
First trip 17 days Tokyo...met a former colleague ex chief on the gripper and asked for info..
school bus, large black female driver..asked by new girl..demur public school
"excuse me ma'am what is there to do in Anchorage? "
southern drawl
" well honey in Sommer there's fishing and f##king and in winter there aint no fishing"
Very red faced young lady..apparently not wot they learn at boading school nor the dorms".
Birb house sadly no more as burnt down.

Bird House Tavern, risen from the ashes. (https://www.adn.com/alaska-travel/article/bird-house-tavern-risen-ashes/2011/05/26/)

Of course, Chilkoot Charlies has its own reputation

Leroy Johnson
10th Jul 2019, 17:13
Not familiar with the Bird House but I may have been to the Great Alaskan Bush Company.

MOONEY1
10th Jul 2019, 21:54
We all thank Allah for that.:)

Phantom Driver
11th Jul 2019, 21:39
Not familiar with the Bird House but I may have been to the Great Alaskan Bush Company.

Ahh, good ol' ABC....middle of Alaskan winter , usual ankle deep snow at the doorway , not that much warmer inside , as we kept our jackets on . Had to hand it to those gals on the stage; ; definitely no temperature problems for them . I did wonder what was their secret....

F Station/Humpy's a little more refined .