PDA

View Full Version : Transfering from 3 man crew 2 man crew

tonyko
6th Aug 2002, 06:42
Dear all,

Ever since my flying days, I've never flown as part of a 3 men crew.

I've just been asked to participate in a CRM course, which concerns 3 man crew trasnfering to 2 man crew ariplane, ie: 747-400 to 747-200.

I've been trying to find any CRM related information on this, but failed, I'd be greatly appreciated if anyone one can share their thoughts and experience, or just pointing out any information that may be helpful.

I've searched NASA and Yahoo, but didn't find any.

Thank you in advance.

Tony Ko
CAL 747-400 F/O

411A
6th Aug 2002, 23:40
Try again Tony...are you going from 3 to 2...OR...2 to three???:D

Captain Stable
7th Aug 2002, 08:33
My understanding is that he is going from being a member of a 2-man crew on a 747-400 to a 3-crew (classic).

Tony, please correct me if I'm wrong?

411A
7th Aug 2002, 21:51
Capt'n Stable

CAL have announced that they are phasing out the classics, that's why I asked.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

tonyko
8th Aug 2002, 16:43
Sorry, guys..

Can't beleive that I made that mistake... :)

It's 3 to 2...

:D

Captain Stable
8th Aug 2002, 17:20
So I take it that you're going to be flying without an FE for the first time ever?

No real problem.

In most outfits, the handling pilot looks after the flying and calls for the checklists. The non-handling pilot does everything else - handles the radios, calls out the checks, keeps the log, calls handling agents, gets the volmets, listens to the ATIS, etc.

SOPs for FMC use vary from one outfit to the next, as do power settings, and one or two other things, depending upon whether A/P is in or not.

Generally, when flying manually, HP flies, and NHP monitors him. With the A/P in, HP monitors the A/P, and NHP gets on with everything else including chatting up the hosties, trying to look cool and checking his stock portfolio.

I stress very strongly, however, that these practices vary from one outfit to the next.

CRM:- Whereas on a 3-man FD you generally get someone with a casting vote on "Was that FL300 or FL330?" and such questions, there is no such luxury with only 2 of you there. So normal practice is if there is any doubt in the mind of either pilot, you check, and nobody has the right to say "There you are - I bloody well told you, but you wouldn't listen, would you?..." etc.

Downsides are you have fewer people to talk to, a round of poker is a bit more boring, and a third fewer jokes available to be told on the long sectors, but the upside is the ratio of you to crew down the back - a more target-rich environment :D