PDA

View Full Version : Climb now in UK airspace

RMC
21st Jun 2019, 08:44
Hi all, Two different versions of the same scenario where a climb is issued by ATC in the UK whilst below one or more SID clearance altitudes. Can anyone advise which is up to date (there is even confusion in the ATC forum on what should be a simple (and important question). I know what I believe is current but all input gratefully received.

Quote from UK AIP ENR 1.1:
Quote:
3.2.2.2 When a departing aircraft on a SID is required to climb directly to the cleared level without complying with the published vertical restrictions on the SID, ATC will include the word ‘now’ in climb instructions (e.g. Jet 347 climb now FL 120).

Is it superseded by this
“ GEN 1.7-46 UNITED KINGDOM AIP27 Jun 2013 GEN 1.7 DIFFERENCES FROM ICAO STANDARDS, RECOMMENDED PRACTICES AND PROCEDURES (continued)

Chapter 6 Separation in the vicinity of Aerodromes 6.3.2.4

When a departing aircraft on a SID is cleared to climb to a level higher than the initially cleared level or the level(s) specified in a SID, the aircraft shall climb directly to the cleared level, unless the SID vertical restrictions are reiterated as part of the clearance.”

AerocatS2A
21st Jun 2019, 22:28
Those two paragraphs don’t conflict.

wiggy
22nd Jun 2019, 08:10
Those two paragraphs don’t conflict.

Ah, glad to hear somebody else thought that. I looked at the OP, decided I must be :confused: and decided best not reply.

RMC
23rd Jun 2019, 13:12
The first says you need to be told “climb now” the other says any climb clearance not insignificant.

AerocatS2A
23rd Jun 2019, 19:32
The first says you need to be told “climb now” the other says any climb clearance not insignificant.

The first is more restrictive, yes. Do the UK ATC give clearances other than “climb now” or “climb via SID”?

To answer your question though, my opinion is that a description of ICAO differences does not override the actual rule that is different. ICAO differences in your airway manual are there as a quick reference to the rules in a specific airspace, but they aren’t the rules and might miss some subtleties.

RMC
24th Jun 2019, 22:01
Four different ways a SID Altitude is cancelled (there are others) but [1] In the USA “Climb and maintain” [2] in the Canaries you must hear “climb unrestricted” [3] some UK controllers adhere to “climb now” to cancel. [4] others just use climb FL / ALT XYZ and get irritated if you request confirmation. In other words UK controllers are using two different standards for a critical clearance.

B737900er
5th Jul 2019, 15:02
If ATC says 'Climb now' then any level restrictions on the SID are cancelled. If they tell me to climb FLXXX then I do so but still, comply with the SID restrictions. That's my understanding of it.

If you look at SID flying out of London, it makes more sense.