PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Again

tomahawk1673
5th Aug 2002, 20:28
I've passed my PPL, and moved flying airfields.

I've flown with my new one a few times, both before and after getting my PPL. I'm just wondering about insurance, now I want to go solo there and take pax. I think i remember signing a form when I joined the last school for insurance, and paying something like £30 for it.

However, the new one isn't exactly a flying school (only 1 warrior)... do I need more insurance - especially as I wanna take pax up?

(i put this in flying instructors forum too, hope that's ok)

distaff_beancounter
5th Aug 2002, 20:49
tomahawk

Sorry, I don't know the answers, but if you are hiring from any new school, club, group or owner, I would suggest that you ask what the insurance cover (if any), is for all the following:-
- the hull value of the aircraft, & what is the excess?
- can you pay extra to avoid the excess?
- is there any third party cover, (in case you taxi into another A/c etc)?
- are you insured as the pilot, for any injury that you suffer?
- are your passengers insured?
- does the insurance cover legal fees, etc, arising from a claim?

Please bear in mind, that the aircraft owner/operator is not legally required to insure against ANY of the above, & good insurance cover is now more expensive since Sept 11th.

If an aircaft had no insurance, & was damaged by your negligence, you might be liable to pay the owner for all the damage. Claims from third parties can be for unlimited amounts (say you taxied a C152 into a Boeing 747, full of passengers), & again you might be liable. And, of course, you could be liable to your passengers.

So, it is best to ask the questions, & then decide if you are comfortable with the existing cover, or would prefer to take out your own policy.