PDA

View Full Version : Directional visibility

bringbackthe80s
17th Jun 2019, 08:38
Hi all, could you explain to me when is prevailing/meteorlogical/directional visibility used respectively and why?

thanks

LookingForAJob
17th Jun 2019, 10:10
All from ICAO Annex 3.

Prevailing visibility is the greatest visibility value, observed in accordance with the definition of “visibility”, which is reached within at least half the horizon circle or within at least half of the surface of the aerodrome. These areas could comprise contiguous or non-contiguous sectors.

Visibility (commonly called met vis) for aeronautical purposes is the greater of:
a) the greatest distance at which a black object of suitable dimensions, situated near the ground, can be seen and recognized when observed against a bright background;
b) the greatest distance at which lights in the vicinity of 1 000 candelas can be seen and identified against an unlit background.

In METAR and SPECI, visibility should be reported as prevailing visibility, as defined in Chapter 1 (above). When the visibility is not the same in different directions and
a) when the lowest visibility is different from the prevailing visibility, and 1) less than 1 500 m or 2) less than 50 per cent of the prevailing visibility and less than 5 000 m; the lowest visibility observed should also be reported and,
when possible, its general direction in relation to the aerodrome reference point indicated by reference to one of the eight points of the compass. If the lowest visibility is observed in more than one direction, then the most
operationally significant direction should be reported; and
b) when the visibility is fluctuating rapidly, and the prevailing visibility cannot be determined, only the lowest visibility should be reported, with no indication of direction.

ScepticalOptomist
18th Jun 2019, 04:23
Am I doing someone’s homework?

Skyjob
18th Jun 2019, 21:15
Very course book answer to the question, indeed.

Practically, let's say there is generally good visibility 10K or more, but a heavy rain shower a mile off the airport reducing visibility in that direction to 1nm, then report it to crew before they experience a sudden loss of visibility when on approach without being warned prior. Prevention, heads up, is better than cure

bringbackthe80s
18th Jun 2019, 23:38
Thanks, I was looking for a simple plain english explanation as it's not my 1st language