PDA

View Full Version : Elstree wheel's up

Aussie Andy
5th Aug 2002, 15:49
I heard indirectly about this - on Sunday I think - anyone know the story?

Grim Reaper 14
5th Aug 2002, 15:55
But for one small detail, I might be able to assist...... what are you on about?!:)

Aussie Andy
5th Aug 2002, 16:09
Heard from a mate that he coudn't operate as planned on Sunday due to a wheel's up landing at Elstree. Curious to know more. I plan to convert to retractable type before long, so such stories of interest!

But maybe I have the wrong end of the stick?

distaff_beancounter
5th Aug 2002, 18:16
Unconfirmed, but I heard that it was a privately owned Beechcraft Baron B58, on the USA "N" register.

Apparently "landed" at Elstree about 2000 BST, Saturday 3rd August. "Removed" from runway about 1000 BST Sunday.

No reported injuries.

Aussie Andy Don't let this put you off converting to retractables. Good training is essential as, unfortunately, a large number of "wheels-up" incidents are pilot error. Luckily such incidents result in fairly few injuries to passengers & crew, except severe wounding of the pilot's pride. :eek:

But injuries to the aircraft, usually comprise at least, 2 "frilly" propellers, with blade tips bent back, 2 shock-stopped (shock-loaded) engines that may have to be scrapped, damage to the aircraft's underside, & sometimes to the wings. For a small twin, can easily stack up to £10,000 to £30,000. :(

Aussie Andy
5th Aug 2002, 18:17
Don't worry, it won't put me off ;)