PDA

View Full Version : Handling the big jets

Groundbased
5th Aug 2002, 15:07
Hi all,

In perusing these forums I've heard this book referred to a number of times.

Anyone know where I can pick up a copy?, I tried Amazon and after a bit they told me they couldn't get it, is it still available?

Many thanks

411A
5th Aug 2002, 15:16
Out of print I believe.
'Twas THE definitive work on early jet airliners. First read my copy in 1967 and wondered how some of the earlier types could have been certified.
Must have been "smoke and mirrors" because some of these earlier aeroplanes (B707's for example) were very demanding, engine out or not. Found out first hand a few years later.

Low-Pass
5th Aug 2002, 15:35
Try the search option and type in "Flying the Big Jets". The topic by swashplate gives a bit of info.

Cheers,

LP

bluskis
5th Aug 2002, 15:59
The book by Davies was titled Handling the Big Jets. I believe there was a later one by another author called Flying the Big Jets.

Brian Calvert wrote one called Flying Concorde , for those with ambition.

Denti
5th Aug 2002, 16:16
It's available again, at least at the transair pilot shop in the uk. I just ordered it for a friend and got it friday or so.

BlueEagle
6th Aug 2002, 00:11
You could also try :

http://www.abebooks.com

I have managed to get several old and out of print books through them.

Tinker
6th Aug 2002, 01:00
As has already been said. Transair

Transair (http://www.transair.co.uk/system/index.html)

is probably your best bet assuming you aren't looking for a future antique. It's still in print and £25 plus p&p.

Therom
6th Aug 2002, 11:07
£23.50 + P&P from 30 West Limited a new Pilot shop.

[email protected]

30 West Ltd
GE Capital Aviation Training
Fleming Way
Crawley
Gatwick
RH10 9UH

Where you get put through the mincer !

Just got one myself

lunkenheimer
7th Aug 2002, 15:17
BlueEagle,
I second your commend on Abebooks. I obtained a copy through them quite reasonably, even with shipping to the States. Took a few weeks, but that is to be expected.