PDA

View Full Version : David Clark stereo headset inconvenient?

CarmineCella
6th Jun 2019, 05:01
Dear all
this is my first post on the forum.

I'm a private pilot and I usually fly C172s. I recently bought a new headset David Clark H10-13.4s, the stereo model. I stil didn't test during a flight but I discovered that there are two independent knobs for volume control, one per ear.
I find this inconvenient: usually I want to change volume quickly with one hand while I'm still piloting with the other.
The price was the same than the mono version and I have 30 days to send it back and buy the mono version.
Can you tell me what you think I should do?
Thanks
Carmine

Pilot DAR
6th Jun 2019, 10:48
Yes, I don't like the two volume knob versions either, it moves the sound around inside your head! Stereo is nice when you're relaxing listening to music. That is not the primary reason to be wearing a headset in flight, getting the music in at all is nice, and used to be a real luxury...

Jhieminga
6th Jun 2019, 11:28
Why not use the volume control on the radio or intercom? I hardly ever change the volume on my headset, unless there's a student next to me who needs to have the volume up at 11.

CarmineCella
6th Jun 2019, 16:41
Why not use the volume control on the radio or intercom? I hardly ever change the volume on my headset, unless there's a student next to me who needs to have the volume up at 11.

Yes I understand, but sometimes it is just more practical to adjust volume individually.
So, I think I should return them and ask for the mono model.
Quality-wise, I like them very much: sturdy, good passive isolation, overall good ergonomics.

18greens
13th Jun 2019, 13:04
I have a knob on each side. Always have.I don't think I would choose to go to one knob. I find it useful to be able to balance the sound in each ear. Not everyone has the same hearing in each ear (especially with noise induced hearing loss as age advances) and it is the matter of a moment to adjust them when you have worked out where the knob are.

However as Jhieminga says I hardly ever touch them once they are set.

(I don't think it can technically be called stereo since we use only one sound channel split in two. I found out when I flew recently with a tank commander the army pipes radio 1 though the left hand headset and radio 2 through the right - that's stereo and very confusing it must be... If civil aviation ever goes over to this system you will need a stereo headset with two volumes. It also accounts for the fact that when you flip the switch to stereo one of the speakers cuts out, which has baffled me for 20 years.... )

I would stick with the more advanced product - but its your choice.

CarmineCella
14th Jun 2019, 20:26
I have a knob on each side. Always have.I don't think I would choose to go to one knob. I find it useful to be able to balance the sound in each ear. Not everyone has the same hearing in each ear (especially with noise induced hearing loss as age advances) and it is the matter of a moment to adjust them when you have worked out where the knob are.

However as Jhieminga says I hardly ever touch them once they are set.

(I don't think it can technically be called stereo since we use only one sound channel split in two. I found out when I flew recently with a tank commander the army pipes radio 1 though the left hand headset and radio 2 through the right - that's stereo and very confusing it must be... If civil aviation ever goes over to this system you will need a stereo headset with two volumes. It also accounts for the fact that when you flip the switch to stereo one of the speakers cuts out, which has baffled me for 20 years.... )

I would stick with the more advanced product - but its your choice.

I finally decided to take the mono model: I find myself using the knob on the phone often when I fly and I feel that having a single knob will simplify things.
The price and the quality between the two models seem to be equivalent.

Thanks to everybody for the advices.