PDA

View Full Version : US or GB registration?

Romeo Romeo
5th Aug 2002, 11:41
This sounds like one of AerBabe's JetBlast questions :D

Anyway, what are the advantages and disadvantages of a US registration for an aeroplane such as a PA28? Is the maintenance more for US reg. and is it easy to find US registered engineers, US registered Instructors for BFR's and US registered doctors for medicals?

englishal
5th Aug 2002, 12:10
The MAIN advantage is that you can exercise the privileges of your US airmans certificate in an N reg aircraft. This means you can fly IFR (or ME/IFR) as the holder of an FAA IR. These are significantly cheaper and easier to maintain, so a viable option for a PPL. In fact all us 'ratings' are easier to maintain, you are not required to complete Multi checkride every year for example.

Its fairly easy to find US instructors in the UK willing to do a BFR / Instrument currency, and in fact there is a good organisation in Norwich which provide all services needed, including maintenance, training, FAA trust company, etc....Doctors are easy to come by, I got my FAA class 2 in Christchurch, it was free with my JAA class 2.

There are no doubt some disadvantages, however I think that maintenance costs will be about the same.

Rgds
EA:)

Cathar
5th Aug 2002, 19:10
Why have a US registered aircraft if you live in the UK? To get round CAA requirements? If you import a car into the UK you have to re register it and meet UK requirements on MOTs, insurance etc. Following the problems with the YAK 50s there is probably someone somewhere looking at the issue of the re registration of permanently imported aircraft.

englishal
6th Aug 2002, 08:53
The thing about importing an aircraft and keeping it on the N register, the aircraft is 'owned' by a US trust company (unless you or someone you know is a US citizen). A foreigner (from US) cannot own an N reg aircraft as such. As the aircraft is now 'owned' by a US trust company, the CAA could not force you onto the G register, anymore than they can force the UA 777 that does the LAX - LHR run every day, onto the G register.

However, I think that it is a worthwhile reason to have a N reg plane, just so you can 'Bypass the CAA requirements'. (IR $4000 as opposed to £12000 for one reason, ratings added for free, no annual flight tests to keep ratings like the IR etc etc).

Cheers
EA:)

Julian
6th Aug 2002, 12:32
The other main advantage is that with a US registered aircraft is that once the initial CofA is issued then all the owner has to do is make sure he keeps up currents Airworthiness Directives issued by the FAA. If this is done then the CofA is current and there is no requirement to outlay a few thousand punds every couple of years to those nice paper pushes.

For me the main advantage would be the right to exercise FAA licence privledges which are a damn site cheaper to obtain. I have used American Flight Services in Norwich and they are very good. Last time I went up they were hiring out a PA28 at £55/hr!!!!!!!! If you want to buy your own aircraft they can even let you know when one comes up, Tom Houston who owns the school is an American, either in the UK or through contacts in the good-ole-U-S-of-A!

Trust companies charges range from £300-1500/year.

bertiethebadger
6th Aug 2002, 16:21
To turn this around, why would anybody want to stay on a G-reg.

Are there any problems with flying accross boundries. Proof of VAT etc

Cathar
6th Aug 2002, 18:43
englishal

I agree that the CAA could not compel a US trust company to place an aircraft on the G register. However, it would only require a minor amendment to the Air Navigation Order to require anyone who imports a foreign registered aircraft to place it on the G register. As the US trust company is not eligable to own an aircraft on the G register the aircraft it could not permanently import the aircraft.

Such action would be entirely compatible with the Chicago Convention and reflect the approach which I believe is adopted by some other states. For example I understand that Canada and the US both prevent foreign registered aircraft from operating in their airspace if they have been there for more than a set amount (90 days in Canada) within any 12 month period. I think that the problem with the YAKs will have made the CAA give this issue some serious consideration.

Keef
6th Aug 2002, 22:55
BB - yes, you do need to have a proof that VAT has been paid. The French flying customs are very hot on that.

G-reg is OK ( but it's as well to have the chit from HM Customs to confirm the VAT-paid status). For N-reg it's vital.

I have heard horror stories about French officialdom giving pilots of N-reg aircraft a hard time, but I've never had that experience.

You save a little money (not a lot) - mostly the CAA fees for everything. In theory you are "required" to do less maintenance, but in reality you still have to keep the aircraft airworthy. So apart from the silliness of Notice 75s on props, there isn't all that much in it.

The big plus is that an FAA IR is achievable to an ordinary human being...