PDA

View Full Version : Should the next BALPA General Secretary be a pilot?

Wig Wag
5th Aug 2002, 10:57
Should the next BALPA General Secretary be a pilot?

Wig Wag
7th Aug 2002, 16:59
An even split fo far it would seem.

The issues as I see it go like this:

A pilot might lack the experience in industrial negotiations but would have the necessary insight. He would have credibility with the members and could be educated in the fundamentals of Trade Union law. However . . . What pilot would take this poisoned chalice on? Having put your head permanently above the parapet your chances of returning to flying might be compromised.

A non pilot could have industrial know how and previous experience of running an organisation. He might even come from another trade union if the deal was right. But would he really understand the pilots point of view? You could give him the insight through comprehensive briefings but operational experience would be difficult to acquire.

Who would be most credible?

Hand Solo
8th Aug 2002, 22:54
I don't think that we need a pilot as General Secretary, we need a professional union man who listens to pilots. Chris Darkes greatest failing was that he did not listen to the members who told him that they were unhappy with their lot, preferring to pursue his own agenda of increasing membership. The union is their to represent us, CD was there to increase membership and further his salary. We need a hard negotiating professional who's aim is to get what the pilots want and not what he thinks we need.

Son Of Piltdown
9th Aug 2002, 07:01
Hand Solo:-

BALPA must listen to the members for sure. But . . . the Gen. Sec. needs to be a leader able to pick up on the key issues and run with them.

I don't imagine that there are many professional union men out there to pick from (assuming they are interested). There are, of course, many pilots some of whom might have the key attributes.

It has all gone very quiet at the moment. Anyone with gossip to share?