PDA

View Full Version : Newcastle (EGNT)

aztec25
5th Aug 2002, 08:48
I'm planning my first VFR trip from Liverpool to Newcastle. Direct route WAL-NEW (Vors). Anybody any experience of going into Newcastle and what sort of join to expect?
Cheers
Az
:)

expedite_climb
5th Aug 2002, 08:54
They are pretty friendly. Expect a VFR join from the VRP Five bridges on the river tyne.

As you approach you will see a large rectangular industrial estate (Team Valley), and then a gentle hill (Gateshead) then down to the river.

From five bridges expect to join on base leg. The airfield is a bit of a pig to see, but keep going and youll see it at the last moment !!

Expect to park on the south side, near 'Samson Aviaition', where you can pay landing fees and get fuel etc.

Enjoy....

aztec25
6th Aug 2002, 08:33
Thanks - now for the weather forecast!
Cheers

FormationFlyer
6th Aug 2002, 14:12
Samson aviation are great - flew up there a couple of years back - real class handling...

Be prepared for orbiting on base - Ive waited up to 10-15mins in orbits on base waiting for commercial traffic to arrive....apart from that its a great place!

helimutt
6th Aug 2002, 16:37
If you come up to EGNT it would depend which direction you planned on coming in from. If you approach more from the west then they may route you into the zone VFR via Stagshaw mast on the western end of the zone.
Squawk will probably be something like 3754 from the south or west.
Not a lot of places to put it over the city if things go quiet up front except the town moor north of the city.

I would suggest a run north up the coast or parallel with the cheviots to admire the scenery if you're into that sort of thing.
Up north doesn't necessarily mean grim!!

Have a good one.

aztec25
7th Aug 2002, 08:18
Thanks everyone.
I know the area very well from a non-flying point of view as I have lived there for most of my life (30+ years) before moving 'south' ten years ago. I've just never flown in the area so flying into Newcastle is another 'something I'd love to do one day' thing!!
Helimutt: I know all the places you mentioned and agree with you 'up-north' certainly doesn't mean grim:-)
Cheers
Az

long final
7th Aug 2002, 09:41
Aztec,

Been a few times to Newcastle - Samson must be the best for service I have encountered. ( though its not all free ( unless you get your tanks filled up there ;) )).

Enjoy your trip.

Regards
LF

helimutt
7th Aug 2002, 22:10
There must be more than one ATCO with a geordie accent. I'm sure i've heard more than one but it's a while since I flew out of EGNT.