PDA

View Full Version : A321 tail strike

avieh7
15th May 2019, 18:16
Does the A321 neo/ceo has a any mean of preventing tail strike on takeoff or landing? (incorporated in the fly by wire software may be..?)

Smythe
15th May 2019, 18:27
pitch rate damping

avieh7
15th May 2019, 18:44
anything in the FCOM regarding this..? (specifically to tail strike)

Check Airman
15th May 2019, 20:33
The NEO has different rotation and flare laws.

hikoushi
16th May 2019, 05:54
The NEO has different rotation and flare laws.

Having only flown the A321 NEO, what is different in the programming of the rotation and flare from a CEO 321?

Fursty Ferret
16th May 2019, 07:09
NEO rotation law commands pitch rate (with the opportunity to limit rate approaching tailstrike). CEO is direct stick to elevator law.

For landing it’s the opposite - the NEO is effectively direct law with pitch rate damping, CEO is flare law.

Takeoff is is easier in a NEO once you’re used to it. Not landed an A321 NEO yet so can’t comment.

WindSheer
17th May 2019, 19:47
NEO rotation law commands pitch rate (with the opportunity to limit rate approaching tailstrike). CEO is direct stick to elevator law.

For landing it’s the opposite - the NEO is effectively direct law with pitch rate damping, CEO is flare law.

Takeoff is is easier in a NEO once you’re used to it. Not landed an A321 NEO yet so can’t comment.
You have taken off but not landed?

DaveReidUK
17th May 2019, 19:57
You have taken off but not landed?

I'm guessing that he means he has taken off in an A320neo, and it was still an A320 when he landed it. :O

EcamSurprise
17th May 2019, 20:59
Does the A321 neo/ceo has a any mean of preventing tail strike on takeoff or landing? (incorporated in the fly by wire software may be..?)

Yes. Our A320 CEO / NEOs & A321 NEOs have a tailstrike proection for take off / Lansing.

This is not published in the FCOMs as Airbus decided it to be so. I’m not sure if it’s a customer option or standard fit but our 319s don’t have it.

On the 320 CEO, for example, as pitch increases beyond 9 degrees the nose will be forced downwards regardless of pilot input. I’ve seen it in action and it took the peak pitch from just under 10 back down to 5 while the side stick was maintained aft (unbeknown to me!).

misd-agin
18th May 2019, 09:08
“This is not published in the FCOMs”

That almost sounds familiar...

Check Airman
18th May 2019, 09:35
“This is not published in the FCOMs”

That almost sounds familiar...
A change to the flight control system during a critical phase of flight? Surely you jest :\

krismiler
18th May 2019, 11:37
I can't comment on the A321 but the A320 NEO definitely feels different on rotation compared to the A320 CEO. The NEO (P&W) seems to rotate lightly and then pitch nose up once it's airborne,as if the rotation rate is being limited close to the ground. I could easily tell you which type I was flying with no other clue except how they take off.