PDA

View Full Version : Woodchurch today (Sun4Aug)

stiknruda
4th Aug 2002, 16:28
Unfortunately I couldn't make today's annual pilgrimage to Rob Davies' fly-in at Woodchurch due to some stupidity on my part last Sunday and the interminable wait for a new tail spring.

However have just spoken to a YAK pilot who was also invited who said that his formation could not land because of a blacked runway.

The MP14 was too noisy to continue the discussion with me perched on his wing, so wonder if anyone else has more info?

Stik

FF - the hinged bit at the back is all repaired, recovered, resprayed and re-hung. Between Surrey St and harvest quite a lot can still be done!

TheKentishFledgling
4th Aug 2002, 16:44
Likewise I couldn't make it this year, due to getting back from Mallorca about 11pm last night :cool:

It's definately on my list of events to get to next year though (by air hopefully!)..it's a great day!

LowNslow do you know if Barry went today?

I live about 20 miles from Woodchurch, and there have been some crappy heavy showers lurking around these parts all day, so I'm doubtful if that many did make it.

tKF

One of the Red Arrows did overfly our village about 2 hours ago though :p

TheKentishFledgling
4th Aug 2002, 20:10
Apparantly a twin ran off the end of the strip into a hedge!

That's all I know, and all people I spoke to know!

tKF

LowNSlow
5th Aug 2002, 06:17
TKF I don't know sorry. I would imagine he would have if the Cub was working and the weather wasn't too pooh.

I haven't heard from him since the PFA Rally. When is he moving?

TheKentishFledgling
5th Aug 2002, 07:38
I haven't seen Barry to speak to for absolutely yonks, I didn't even know he was moving :confused: !

I know the Cub was fine about 3 weeks ago! I'm gonna try and get the the strip this weekend (likely Sunday, flying lesson Saturday :)), so will try and talk to him.

Cheers,
tKF

Rallye Driver
5th Aug 2002, 11:22
We were due to fly in. When we got there a Spitfire was diverting to Headcorn, we assumed because of the downpour.

We called up Woodchurch to be told that the runway was closed due to an incident. We flew around for a bit and could see a twin lodged in the hedge at the end of 21.

Following everyone else, we also diverted in to Headcorn, who kindly waived the landing fee. Stayed there for a while watching the parachuting, then heard that Woodchurch had reopened, but only for displaying aircraft, so we pottered off to Rochester instead.

Hope noone was hurt.

RD

rex
5th Aug 2002, 16:46
I went....

Good show considering the weather. At one point the thunderstorm was about 6-7 miles to the North I guess. Otherwise the WX was remarkably good.

There were some fine displays, especially the aerobatics, Midget Mustangs, Sukhois et al. For me the other highlights were the Sabre jet from Duxford and the P51 Mustangs. The Tiger Club bunch are always a good laugh.

The thing I like about Woodchurch is the village fete atmosphere. Its not commercial at all and while you don't see the really big stuff, you can get much closer to what is there.

It was a bit sad to see the Seneca(?) in the hedge and I hope the pilot and PAX were ok.

A good day. I must admit though I think Rob Davies is well lucky, thanks!:D

REX