PDA

View Full Version : Cancelled BD flight LHR/MAN Saturday

Golf Charlie Charlie
4th Aug 2002, 15:14
Yesterday BD582 LHR/MAN was cancelled. I was a passenger on board. The reason given was confusing - something like ATC delays caused by extremely bad weather and fog at MAN, making a slot time impossible to grant.

Is this a believable excuse ? I mean, I know that LVPs come in at times of bad weather, but this is 2002, after all. It was a 737-400. We were told the take-off slot would be even later than the next flight to MAN, so we were put on board the later flight, which left only a few minutes late.

As there were no more than 35 people on the cancelled flight, I reckon the flight was just pulled as there were so few on board and consolidated with the next one. Is this likely ?

First time I have flown bmi British Midland for 2 or 3 years. Must say, sadly, they seem to be going downhill fast (not just for this reason - but the overall service seemed a little ragged).

Separately, there was a go-around on 09L at LHR at 07:50 local this morning 4/8. Did not see aircraft as it was in clouds. Anyone know reason, or just the average one or two a day at LHR ?

Goforfun
4th Aug 2002, 15:21
You would be saying different if that 737-400 was in ashes today as a result of fog.

2002? Yes and? Should Fog have been GM modified to CAT3 standards?

KingoftheRoad
4th Aug 2002, 15:45
When a flight is delayed for whatever reason, and it is predicted to depart close to the departure time of the next rotation, the Company (whoever they may be) would be daft to send two 150 seat aircraft off at the same time, with 35 pax on each.
So yes, they were consolidated. can only usually be done if the return loads are low too.Sorry you didn't like the new (low cost)service, how long was the flight : 23 minutes ?

flappless
4th Aug 2002, 16:03
Charlie,

The reason the flight was cancelled was because sickness levels have hit the roof - there aren't enough pilots to go around.

boeingbus2002
4th Aug 2002, 17:07
The go-around was a BA 747-400.
Dont know the reason why, but it was just over the threshold of 09L as it climbed out and was soon into cloud!

Golf Charlie Charlie
5th Aug 2002, 06:24
My thanks to those who replied.

It was about 31 minutes actually ! I take the implied point here - I was more referring to ground and telephone service.