PDA

View Full Version : NHV catch a cold

lowfat
23rd Apr 2019, 16:25
So the yellow dream is over. NHV post a 1.8 million euro loss. The CEO is moved on and to top it all issue a warning that the business might be unsustainable.
So you do actually have to make money when you bid on a contract who would have thought.
At least they are acting fast or maybe they don’t have the cash reserve bristow have?

any thoughts

helicrazi
23rd Apr 2019, 17:02
The oil companies won't be happy until all operators are bankrupt.

have you seen the effort it takes to make such a loss :D

Self loading bear
23rd Apr 2019, 18:59
Being a company with revenue in the range of 250-300 million Euro.
The 1.8 million loss is small.
The big question is if the decline in profit is temporary or structural and growing or already under control.

helicrazi
23rd Apr 2019, 19:16
Turning over 300m and making a loss sounds embarrassing to me

lowfat
23rd Apr 2019, 20:13
while the loss is relatively small especially compared to the hundreds of millions of dollars bristow has lost .

The statement that the business might be unsustainable in the long term shocked me.

212man
23rd Apr 2019, 20:53
The oil companies won't be happy until all operators are bankrupt.

have you seen the effort it takes to make such a loss :D
Not sure how well you understand O&G operations from the IOC perspective, but that is the absolute last scenario they want! In fact it’s regarded as the biggest risk to business continuity

P3 Bellows
23rd Apr 2019, 21:18
Not sure how well you understand O&G operations from the IOC perspective, but that is the absolute last scenario they want! In fact it’s regarded as the biggest risk to business continuity

if that is so; then perhaps the oil companies should put their hand in their pocket before there are no helicopter operators left.

Self loading bear
23rd Apr 2019, 21:27
Does somebody have a link where we can find this info?
I found the CEO change on LinkedIn but nothing else

Self loading bear
23rd Apr 2019, 21:36

rotor-rooter
23rd Apr 2019, 23:30
I have never yet seen a loss reported that wasn't the best case scenario drawing in every receivable and deferring every payable to make it the best looking number possible. The only exception would be an unrecoverable quarter or year, where you just chuck everything in, hoping it's an anomaly and the next quarter will be better.The fact the CEO is gone and the warning about the sustainability of the business implies there may be more to the story. Babcock and Bristow have both made similar comments about the market conditions in the North Sea.

A bad market and competitive pricing to remain in business is one thing, but to all drive yourselves into bankruptcy is another. I hope their Customers are all paying close attention to the situation.

finalchecksplease
24th Apr 2019, 07:46
SLB click on this link and then download full accounts: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09900216/filing-history
It is just for NHV UK, not the whole NHV group.

500e
24th Apr 2019, 11:35
In the Full accounts made up to 31 December 2018 Page 5 has the relevant bit.
Looks like the parent Co could have to help the UK subsidiary

helihub
24th Apr 2019, 13:53
Is this being taken out of context? If you look at Google, Starbucks, Amazon etc, they all make very little, if any, UK profit on paper due to the way they play the various tax laws - eg by the UK subsidiary paying the parent company a "licence fee" to use the brand name in the UK.

Taking the accounts of a single subsidiary of a larger group could be as useful as a chocolate teapot.

HHE
24th Apr 2019, 15:53
Annual reports of NHV group can be found here;

https://www.nbb.be/en/central-balance-sheet-office

latest filing is of fiscal year 2017. 2018 will probably be filed somewhere late May/early June.

The reports are interesting reading material because you can also find management statements and views on the market.

cheers

helicrazi
24th Apr 2019, 16:32

sorry my sarcasm didn't come across. I am well aware of the risk to business continuity, however it hasn't changed the fact loss making contracts are still being awarded.

industry insider
24th Apr 2019, 17:04
Crazi

sorry my sarcasm didn't come across. I am well aware of the risk to business continuity, however it hasn't changed the fact loss making contracts are still being awarded.

IOCs don't have insight into all of a helicopter operators' costs. When selecting a successful tenderer, providing bids meet the safety and technical requirements, its natural that an IOC will select the lowest cost option from the submitted responses.

It seems to be a popular view that oil companies are always villainous in selecting the most competitive tender and should somehow volunteer to pay helicopter companies extra to compensate for their own poor business decisions.

Much of the current industry malaise among helicopter companies is as a result of their taking advantage of aircraft lease deals which appeared cheap at the time with little or no thought as to what may happen if there was an industry downturn. So large was the capacity increase caused by abundant lease deals that when the downturn came, even the grounding of the complete 225 offshore fleet didn't cause a shortage of aircraft.

helicrazi
24th Apr 2019, 17:47
And yet they are still driving down costs