PDA

View Full Version : Glider Tugs - how easy are they to get

jammied90
20th Apr 2019, 14:18
So just a question I mostly came here to ask.

How easy is it to get tugs for gliders if you get a gliding licence?

I am tempted to learn glider flying and want to know how easily it would be to get around the country with a glider.

Piper.Classique
20th Apr 2019, 17:58
I suggest you look at self launching sailplanes, if you are rich enough

India Four Two
20th Apr 2019, 18:05
Piper.Classique’s answer is the practical one.

If you are considering a true glider, then you would be limited to cross-countries between gliding sites, with a caveat that tows may not be available every day.

gliderkev
20th Apr 2019, 18:11
Some gliding sites are winch only, some aerotow only and quite a lot do both. The logistics of flying round the country from site to site are complicated, needing weather and a retrieve crew for when the weather doesnt co-operate :-)
but its in theory quite possible, It was tried 2 years ago in a k21 but ended up trailering round mostly as the weather fir the period it was booked for was dire (search "glide britain"for lots of videos made at clubs they visited)
to fly away from the club you join you will need to have a bronze badge and cross country endorsement, neither hard to achieve if you stick at it.
Cross country flying is a truly exhilarating, challenging sport and im sure you will love it
good luck!

RatherBeFlying
21st Apr 2019, 17:07
If you do not land where a launch is available, you ask for somebody to bring the trailer.

I have heard of a Blanik pulled a considerable distance down farm roads with people at wing tips to get over / around fence posts and road signs. Modern gliders are easier to derig and rerig;)

xtophe80
23rd Apr 2019, 13:12
Going from club to club with the possible help of a trailer is the concept of the Euroglide competition.