PDA

View Full Version : Training in Sim Engineering. Where?

blue up
20th Apr 2019, 06:44
Hello.
I've been asked to look into where we can source any courses to train up Sim Engineers/Techs. Are there any in the UK? Not sure if it is better to recruit from within the company and get staff trained or to find people from outside to fit into slots.
Any suggestions and links would be gratefully received.
Thanks
Blue Up.

BluSdUp
25th Apr 2019, 08:55
Hi Blue
Depends what simulator You run, but chances are it is a CAE job.
So I would recommend CAE Amsterdam as they have a bucket full of them and are running the European operation.
I have operated two other brands, and some 20+ different individual CAE sims on 3 different types for some 4000hrs plus and find the CAE sim technicians absolutely brilliant.
I have no idea what sort of training they provide and it is more then 10 years since I did any sim training, but I think You have a fair chance of finding a good answer to Your needs there.
Regards
Cpt B

tdracer
26th Apr 2019, 05:12
Many, many years ago, while working in Propulsion at Boeing, I was recruited for a job at a simulator manufacturer. At the time I was rather unhappy with Boeing so I took their factory visit (expense paid trips are seldom a bad thing :E). The short story was they were primarily interested in my 'real world' propulsion experience, and figured they could teach me the simulator stuff in short order.
However their description of what I'd be doing left me cold - I don't know if they picked up on that, or it was just they weren't that in to me, but the offer I got was disappointing and I said no thanks...
Anyway, I don't know of anyone other than the simulator manufacturers that actually train for that. If you get meaningful real world experience in how aircraft work, they'll happily teach you the rest.

mnttech
27th Apr 2019, 14:14
At one time, when you bought a simulator CAE would provide classes for X number of techs, not sure if that is still in play or not.
Nor do I know what FSI does. They both may offer courses at their head quarters, or send an instructor to you.
Outside schools have the problem of not being able to keep current, they may get an older simulator for some work, but cannot afford to keep up to date. There was a course in the US, but I could not find it this morning.

neilki
2nd May 2019, 16:27
At one time, when you bought a simulator CAE would provide classes for X number of techs, not sure if that is still in play or not.
Nor do I know what FSI does. They both may offer courses at their head quarters, or send an instructor to you.
Outside schools have the problem of not being able to keep current, they may get an older simulator for some work, but cannot afford to keep up to date. There was a course in the US, but I could not find it this morning.
L3? There’s a squad of Englishmen in Airbus Denver right now putting up neo sims at an amazing pace.
believe they’re Gatwick based...

Skornogr4phy
3rd May 2019, 05:17
L3 do have a massive sim centre in Gatwick so it's quite possible.

ZFT
3rd May 2019, 05:37
L3 do have a massive sim centre in Gatwick so it's quite possible.
Massive? 4 or 5 aims is not massive