PDA

View Full Version : How are pilots perceived around the world?

arvida
15th Apr 2019, 22:14
Is being a pilot perceived as a good profession all around the world? I met a guy who been to Sweden and he told me to never tell anybody you're a pilot over there since they see pilots as nobodies!

On the other side in western Europe I know it's highly recognized.

gearlever
15th Apr 2019, 22:19
Still better than bankers.......

Airbubba
15th Apr 2019, 22:23
I just tell people that I'm a piano player in a bordello. :ok:

macdo
15th Apr 2019, 22:28
Bus Driver usually guides the conversation to other things :-)

yanrair
15th Apr 2019, 22:30
I just tell people that I'm a piano player in a bordello. :ok:

whats the difference between an airline pilots and God? God doesn’t think he can fly!
how can you see if a pilot is at a party? Don’t worry, he will let you know.

extreme P
15th Apr 2019, 22:58
https://i.imgur.com/bhi7idO.jpg

Banana Joe
15th Apr 2019, 23:23
Glorified taxi driver or truck driver if you fly cargo. I couldn't care less of what the general public think. The pay is good and my employer treats me really well.

The trend nowadays are influencers. And I have a strong stigma against the few we have in the aviation industry. Sorry but I just can't help it.

Loose rivets
15th Apr 2019, 23:30
A new meaning to leading edge devices.

See you in Jet Blast - or oblivion.

Atlas Shrugged
16th Apr 2019, 03:04
Third Triangle Player in the Falklands Islands Symphony Orchestra usually raises an eyebrow or two......

Global Aviator
16th Apr 2019, 06:41
You could twist the question to how do airport authorities/ security/ workers see you as a pilot?

Orstralia - erm
Asia - respect
USA - depends where

I expect some interesting responses.....

westhawk
16th Apr 2019, 06:55
While standing in line at the check-in desk at a hotel, the gentleman ahead of me in line finishes his business with the desk, turns, sees my pilot uniform and hands me his bags. Moral of the story? Don't go thinking you're any better than a bellhop!

Herod
16th Apr 2019, 07:02
While flying a rather venerable turbo-prop, I recall a First Officer who described his job as "assistant curator in a transport museum"

N4865G
16th Apr 2019, 08:19
There was this story of the US based pilot who used to frequent bars on layovers.
To avoid getting strange looks for drinking on a layover he used to tell people he was in the 'metal tube relocation' business.

Herod
16th Apr 2019, 08:34
"A traveler in aluminium for the government."

Sholayo
16th Apr 2019, 08:40
Well, as you can see there's little chance you get any serious response but the question begs for such jokes.
In Poland - it's very well respected if you are one of those types flying in uniforms - airlines, military, corporate and air ambulance. If you fly anything else for money - small cargo, crops, vaccines dropping etc. - you are just truck driver. And if you fly for fun - most likely you are perceived as rich jerk. Which makes you womanizer :D

&

JohnMcGhie
16th Apr 2019, 09:00
Mmmm... A friend of mine was a 747 captain: he used to describe himself as a "Heavy Equipment Operator".

In Australia it depends a bit where you are: in seat 0A, you have a status close to god -- in the bar, you can buy your own drinks. With the ladies, much depends on how much alimony you are already paying...

happybiker
16th Apr 2019, 09:12
Description of Male pilot divorce. His wife gets the gold mine while he gets the shaft!

Richard101
16th Apr 2019, 09:29
Overpaid glorified bus drivers who keep brothel owners in business is probably the most common perception

Prober
16th Apr 2019, 10:16
The crew was in line at a US immigration desk. The man behind the desk barked “What are you, Prober?” My rather startled look caused my F/O to step forward and explain that his captain was a gentlemen of leisure!

Prober

geardown1
16th Apr 2019, 12:16
I think it's fairly respected in the UK however I do hear a lot of comments about how young the pilots are at budget carriers like EZY and it doesn't help the case when they're strolling around the airports glued to their phones with a school bag on... :ugh:

scouser47
16th Apr 2019, 13:03
The only thing that separates cabin crew from the lowest form of life? The flight-deck door.

perantau
16th Apr 2019, 13:40
When I flew the 747s, I'd say I drove an 18-wheeler. On the 777, I'd say I drove a couple of Rolls... :O

back to Boeing
16th Apr 2019, 14:51
I work in the pressurised aluminium tubing industry.

Sidestick_n_Rudder
16th Apr 2019, 15:08
From what I’ve seen around the world:

South of Europe - ie. France, Spain, Italy - a lot of respect and status.

The further north you go, the less respect. Didn’t know it’s so bad in Sweden, but recently heard the Swedes are now ‘ashamed of flying’, due to environmental concerns, so I kind of see they do not love pilots.

Eastern Europe - quite bit of respect, Especially among LCC/holiday charter PAX. Legacy pax are less ave struck.

India - rock star status, you gotta see it to believe it...

Twiglet1
16th Apr 2019, 16:04
MD of a previous Airline Airtours (UK) called Pilots "glorified bus drivers" to a bunch of Base Captains. Lost respect of the Pilot workforce thereafter. He was a Wayne Kerr.

SeenItAll
16th Apr 2019, 17:32
I'm not a pilot, but I know you guys work in a very complex environment that requires substantial skill, knowledge and training -- and you have incredible safety responsibilities. So I don't care how others view you, I view you with great respect. It's a difficult job, and nearly all of you do it very well. Thanks.

golf yankee one one
16th Apr 2019, 18:14
I think that the answer may depend on whether or not you dip into PPRuNE.

If you don't... RESPECT. If you do....angry white men.

172_driver
16th Apr 2019, 18:24
It still raises eyebrows when you mention it, all I can say from the north.

Olympia463
16th Apr 2019, 18:30
I'm a glider pilot. When I tell people they are impressed, as they think flying without an engine is nothing short of magical. With fellow soarers I get respect only when I add that I am an instructor. Gliding instructors are regarded as Gods.

Mike6567
16th Apr 2019, 19:09
As Len Morgan said "The way I see it, you can either work for a living or you can fly airplanes. Me, I'd rather fly."

flash8
16th Apr 2019, 21:38
Recall Niki stating any monkey could fly a 767... being rated in the a/c and probably CP I don't think many of his minions argued back!

Offchocks
16th Apr 2019, 22:42
I never use to volunteer what I did for a living until the questions backed me into a corner. I was never ashamed of my profession, but I’m just not the sort of person who self promotes.
I do think that describing your job as a driver, which some do, is a bit degrading and the public may start to believe it as such. No offence meant to truck drivers.

4runner
17th Apr 2019, 00:11
You used to be a God in Afrika until they started hiring Nigerian pilots. Now you’re immediately suspect and have to pay 6 months advance rent instead of 3. Seriously.

Atlas Shrugged
17th Apr 2019, 03:10
While standing in line at the check-in desk at a hotel, the gentleman ahead of me in line finishes his business with the desk, turns, sees my pilot uniform and hands me his bags. Moral of the story? Don't go thinking you're any better than a bellhop!

I was once told that I could "park my bus around the back in the car park"!!

George Glass
17th Apr 2019, 05:02
Are you asking because you want to get into the business?
Where I come from the definition of someone who gets paid too much is anybody who earns more than you do.
If you earn multiples of average weekly earnings nobody is going to love you.
Envy and a consuming sense of grievance win.
Plus a profound ignorance of what you actually do.
So don’t worry about it.
Still the best job in the world.

ShyTorque
17th Apr 2019, 06:01

I had a similar experience. I was wearing my RAF uniform at the time. The moron told me he was going to report me to the manager!

KRH270/12
17th Apr 2019, 06:17
Well, when i was in my early twenties, people where impressed when they found out that i was a Pilot and allready on big jets... the Girls loved it, plus i had more money than all of my friends.

Now, 20 years later, people feel sorry for me. They consider the job hard labour, badly paid with a catastrophic work life balance.... wich is not true in my case, but i leave them in their disbeliev. But now some of my friends really make big money in banking or IT....

piopawlu
17th Apr 2019, 06:56
I met a guy who been to Sweden and he told me to never tell anybody you're a pilot over there since they see pilots as nobodies!

No idea why anybody would tell you that. I don't think pilots are considered "Gods" here, but people usually think it's a cool profession.

S61N1977
17th Apr 2019, 08:14
I don’t know what you want ? Choose a profession that suits you, don’t think about what the world thinks about Pilots.
The most important thing is what you feel about yourself, your abilities, your endurance to stand through thick and thin, where you will be next
Year, next ten years,respect is earned and not by imposing your importance.

ShyTorque
17th Apr 2019, 08:22
Well, when i was in my early twenties, people where impressed when they found out that i was a Pilot and allready on big jets... the Girls loved it, plus i had more money than all of my friends.

Now, 20 years later, people feel sorry for me. They consider the job hard labour, badly paid with a catastrophic work life balance.... wich is not true in my case, but i leave them in their disbeliev. But now some of my friends really make big money in banking or IT....
Most of my school friends of my age have retired already, because they could afford to. The ones that didn't choose aviation for their career, that is.
The one friend who did go into aviation at the same time as myself had to retire for health reasons - from stress.
Before anyone makes smart comments about why I still work; I'm still with my first wife of well over forty years.

Olympia463
17th Apr 2019, 08:53
You know boys, I don't give a s**t for what anyone thinks about me being a pilot. I know that the day of my first solo changed me forever. I joined a band of brothers and sisters who all shared the unique experience of being in sole charge of a flying machine. Most folk are really envious of that experience. We are a tiny percentage of homo sapiens and that's enough for me.

bzh
17th Apr 2019, 13:26
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/604x498/0657324b6aa798405ce9f0b86a030732_cadef6d7809adac72368fec2912 9f2b4b2b8199c.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/540x382/7d7f0bfe7a6a660e71f01525a9270865_fe1a4f0139b8655d4398f7b291f 03170c87e80c9.jpg

Maninthebar
17th Apr 2019, 13:37
Ladies and Gentlemen, we have our WINNER

Nomad2
17th Apr 2019, 14:05
Your status depends on where you work. For example:

If you work in the UK, your status is equal to the fuel. ie, you are something that needs to be put in the plane, without which it won't fly.

If you work in India, you are a true Sky God.

I guess everywhere else is in between, but I liked India.

Prober
17th Apr 2019, 15:53
Many years ago in the halcyon days of flight deck visits, some of my children were allowed into my office. They went back to the "management" and reported "Daddy's sitting there doing nothing!" They are all now making good money doing "something".

racedo
17th Apr 2019, 16:33
Before anyone makes smart comments about why I still work; I'm still with my first wife of well over forty years.

So you work to get away from the wife............. well that is one interpretation of it or never earned enough to afford the alimony.
(Congrats on the 40 plus yrs)

a350pilots
17th Apr 2019, 16:40
I had a similar experience. I was wearing my RAF uniform at the time. The moron told me he was going to report me to the manager!

Same happened to me!

BehindBlueEyes
17th Apr 2019, 17:14
If it’s important to you, this made me smile.

https://www.businessinsider.com/pilots-hot-on-tinder-2017-4?r=US&IR=T

“Being a pilot says, 'I'm fearless, daring and intelligent.' It's the ultimate phallic symbol—a jet liner."“ :}

ph-sbe
17th Apr 2019, 17:28

In all fairness, in some parts of the world air crew is paid so poorly that it would be very much possible that the poor chap had a side job (or two).

BehindBlueEyes
17th Apr 2019, 18:14
Many years ago in the halcyon days of flight deck visits, some of my children were allowed into my office. They went back to the "management" and reported "Daddy's sitting there doing nothing!" They are all now making good money doing "something".

That reminds me very much of a similar experience some friends of ours had. Their son, Charlie, is a very young FO with a well known national carrier. Some other mates of theirs also had a son of six who went on his first flight to Spain recently. His mother had told the son that Charlie flew the exact aircraft which impressed the little lad no end. She then went on to say, “But of course, daddy is also pilot.” (Daddy is a WingCo in the RAF) The lad then turned to mum and said, “But Charlie is a PROPER pilot!” :sad:

SID PLATE
17th Apr 2019, 19:55
Third Triangle Player in the Falklands Islands Symphony Orchestra usually raises an eyebrow or two......

... or you could tell them you play the triangle in the Jamaican Symphony Orchestra instead.

You just "stand at the back,.. 'an ting..."

Private jet
17th Apr 2019, 20:16
Well, even when i had my first PPL in 1992 and later my pro licence in 2000 the response from people (especially the ladies) in conversation was "Oh really!!!" Now I dread telling people what I do, despite operating a very nice corporate machine because the modern response is "oh....really..." [yawn]

SARF
17th Apr 2019, 22:08
I had a choice between the RAF and banking back in 83. I chose banking and retired at 45.
‘I do regret it a bit .. and obviously people think ima w.nker. But I got over it ...

Jumbo744
17th Apr 2019, 22:41
Why would you care what the 'world' thinks about your job ?

Anyways, from my experience:

In Africa I used to be treated as if I was a top army official
In Europe I was treated nicely and with respect
In Canada, Flight Attendants think they are better than you and don't need you in the plane.

Before becoming a pilot, I used to admire them. Now that I am a pilot, I stay far away from them when I'm off.

Airbubba
17th Apr 2019, 23:08
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1189x981/captain_as_seen_by_88c0128aa2ad0c63b0bd92f598e90cb5c1f526c0. jpg

I've seen copies of this classic series of cartoons 'The Captain as Seen By...' in ops and crew lounges all over the world. Most seem to be prints of the digitized images from the dialup modem era with compression artifacts. I'd love to find better quality online copies.

Apparently the originals were drawn by TWA Captain Russ Day for a friend's retirement party:

A series of cartoons he drew for Bill Dixon's retirement party in 1978, all neatly framed, were entitled: "The Captain as Seen by -- his wife, the copilot, the FAA, the Flight Attendants, etc. Russ says the theme was an old one, but his drawing and interpretations were all original. The drawings hang in a place of honor in Bill's apartment in San Jose, California, with copies at his late son's.

RussDay (http://twaseniorsclub.org/memories/contrails/RussDay.htm)

Loose rivets
17th Apr 2019, 23:19
One I saw in the early 80's had the last shot of uniformed captain at home in front of his wife. His face was screwed up and he had tears spurting from his eyes.

stilton
18th Apr 2019, 05:15
I never use to volunteer what I did for a living until the questions backed me into a corner. I was never ashamed of my profession, but I’m just not the sort of person who self promotes.
I do think that describing your job as a driver, which some do, is a bit degrading and the public may start to believe it as such. No offence meant to truck drivers.

Agree, pilots are often their own worst enemies:

‘a trained monkey could do it’

‘just sit up here and push buttons’

are the sort of inane comments that have a large contingent of the public misunderstand and show contempt for what is still a fine profession, requiring a high level of technical skill, knowledge, good judgment and co -ordination

Impugning your own
profession is not clever

PA28161
18th Apr 2019, 08:03
Those that can, can, those that can't teach!

Laurence25
18th Apr 2019, 09:21
I love this thread.

It’s not often I feel the need to post- only the top tier aviation topics are blessed with my input (and this is champions league tier)

Answer; depends who you work for.

If you work for Branson, there’s a good chance people won’t get the chance to perceive. Mr/Mrs Captain will tell you how great he/she is. How much better they are than you, why you’re basically pond scum and why their Rolex is more unique than yours. All whilst standing at the bar waiting for somebody else to pay (previous experience)

Ultimately, who actually cares?! If you do, you’ve got bigger problems.

Bergerie1
18th Apr 2019, 10:07
PA28161,

In aviation there is a corollary. Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. And those who can't teach, check.

Priority Club
18th Apr 2019, 10:18
I say I'm in 'energy management' if I don't want the conversation to go anywhere. It's half true.

cattletruck
18th Apr 2019, 10:24
As a mere PPL I learnt the hard way not to tell work colleagues what I do as a pastime - corporate weeds who know absolutely nothing about this flying caper will eventually find a way to use it against you - sadly a fact of life in the weedy corporate world.

Often I would play dumb/ignorant with those at work that were vocal about their PPL (or acquiring one) and show fake interest and ask really inane questions just for my own amusement.

My last memorable flight was in a Tigermoth over a football stadium during semi-finals where my team was playing - I really wish I was wearing my team's scarf. But the flight wasn't for showing off, I really do enjoy open cockpits and it was a co-incidence there was a game on and my team was playing which was a bonus.

Next day at work I mentioned nothing, however one manager whom I respect seemed to have gotten some intel on my recent caper but kept quiet about it. Perhaps there is also something about him that I don't know :ok:

Sholayo
18th Apr 2019, 11:10
Well,
Most of the stuff I read here is - I am absolutely sure - big exageration.
I do not believe that any pilot pretends among people that he is just bus driver. Unless for fun. I do not believe you have such low self-esteem, and you truly believe people thinks this is a crappy job.
To all those complaining - if being a pilot is such piece of BS, why don't you just work in other area and just fly for fun on weekends? If you love flying but you hate being airline pilot, this is best thing you can do. In a western world at least, someone with university degree, smart, bright, able to take quick decision, able to work under stress and time pressure will easily make ample to not just rent a plane on weekends and afternoons but even to own GA machine like C-172 or something.

As much as I love lurking the forum, I am tired of people complaining about their profession, which is a dream job for 75% of male population of the world. I know it is hard, bot well paid and it hurts your family and personal life. But if so - why did you spent so much money and effort to get there? Why can't you quit and change profession? I assure you that ATP(L) skillset will allow you to be successful and financially stable in project management, engineering and number of other jobs which are much better than the picture of airline pilot you are trying to draw here.
I know you're joking, but checking PPRUNe for years I see same jokes for years. Booooring.

&

PS
You know, I am just jealous ;)

Rarife
18th Apr 2019, 11:33
It really depends who you meet. I do not like and never like guys who said "I'm pilot" when they barely had their PPL but there are many people who show no respect for this. And by no respect I mean they consider you as total gargabe and say things "You do nothing anyway. Plane can fly on its own. You are there just for the feeling of PAX. You can not fly it anyway." "How you are better than bus driver? It is not such a big deal to stop a bus at bus stop."

It does not change my passion for this job but people are really like that. I wanted to be pilot since I was 10 years old. Once I said I want be a pilot in school. Since that I never did that again. And I do not do that unless there is no other choice. Btw. My friend, B737 captain, told his bank he is heavy machinery operator.

Rated De
18th Apr 2019, 12:09
PA28161,

In aviation there is a corollary. Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. And those who can't teach, check.

There is one small addendum; Those who can not do anything of that, usually end up in Airline administration.

Case study: An Australian Airline CEO tells a story he wanted to be a pilot, however the narrative (official) is that eyesight was his shortcoming. In actuality, he was unsuccessful with relevant testing at the target airline. True to form, he did use his stature, rising up the ranks to sit at a big desk, balancing a chip on each shoulder.

Jet Jockey A4
18th Apr 2019, 12:28
I don't care what others think of me and my profession as a pilot... I know I am a God!

At least it sure felt that way when I worked for 3 years as an airline pilot in France. :-)

AviatorDave
18th Apr 2019, 20:15
Is being a pilot perceived as a good profession all around the world? I met a guy who been to Sweden and he told me to never tell anybody you're a pilot over there since they see pilots as nobodies!

On the other side in western Europe I know it's highly recognized.

Well, have a look at the SLF section of these forums,
Particularly, have a look at the nice thread wondering about pilots introducing themselves by name to passengers. The spin is: bus and train drivers don‘t do it, why should pilots.

The average public sees us as overpaid, constantly on strike, and essentially doing nothing at work since today‘s planes basically fly themselves, with all the computers. Basically, a little more qualified (if at all) than train, bus or truck drivers.

towerguy
18th Apr 2019, 21:10
probably pretty similar responses to being ATC .

My son (then aged about 4yrs ) was asked by teacher at kindergarten "what does your daddy do for work?" replied "oh, my daddy doesn't work, he just talks to airplanes!"
From out of the mouth of babes...

Meester proach
18th Apr 2019, 22:38
Truth, be told, it’s always the wannabes and bullish..... s that want to talk about being a pilot. I don’t because firstly , we normally have to go through the “ why do planes crash ?” and “ aren’t you scared ?”. Sadly, I’ve noticed , being a pilot becomes the most interesting thing people want to talk about with you.

Take it down a notch and I’ve noticed jealousy from a certain demographic that manifests itself , which basically says “ you do nothing and get paid a fortune “, why can’t I do that ?, when, of course they wouldn’t have the sticking power to pass PPL airlaw.

And of course, don’t mention it when you want building work done , because it puts the price up.

westhawk
18th Apr 2019, 23:47
Earlier in this thread, I shared a humorous (to me at least) anecdote of being mistaken for a hotel bellhop while wearing my pilot uniform. It just illustrates the futility and folly of being overly impressed with oneself!

Since then, the tread appears to have taken a more serious turn. So be it. If celebrity or adoration are important determiners of career choice, I recommend the performing arts.

Priority Club
19th Apr 2019, 04:51
Well,
I do not believe that any pilot pretends among people that he is just bus driver. Unless for fun. I do not believe you have such low self-esteem, and you truly believe people thinks this is a crappy job.
To all those complaining - if being a pilot is such piece of BS, why don't you just work in other area and just fly for fun on weekends? If you love flying but you hate being airline pilot, this is best thing you can do. In a western world at least, someone with university degree, smart, bright, able to take quick decision, able to work under stress and time pressure will easily make ample to not just rent a plane on weekends and afternoons but even to own GA machine like C-172 or something.

"I say I'm in 'energy management' if I don't want the conversation to go anywhere. It's half true."

For my part it's nothing to do with pretending for fun or low-self esteem or that its a crappy job. I've been passionate about flying airliners for 20 years (and its a superb job) but therein lies the rub, I put a lot of time into aviation over the years and now I want some me time. I no longer want to discussable things related every second of the day so I avoid it if I can. As someone else said, fielding tedious questions such as 'what's the worst thing that's ever happened to you' is simply not something I want to start talking about in my free time. Besides, telling the truth is always disappointing... 'once I had a spurious system fault that self-cleared' or 'a computer once needed re-setting'. And they don't want to hear that i find flying through thunderstorms scary.

I think that joke 'how do you know if there is a pilot in the room - he'll tell you' only applies in real for the first 5 years or so of your career!

Herod
19th Apr 2019, 07:52
I work in an aviation museum (a real one this time, as opposed to my post #12), and I find that once people are surrounded by the hardware their attitude changes. The average passenger just walks down an airbridge, or across the apron, their mind focused on getting to the seat. The people I talk to are interested in what pilots actually do, and the mechanics of how an aircraft behaves. Before anyone says that the demographic of museum visitors determines this, we have visitors from all walks of life and levels of society.

dr dre
19th Apr 2019, 09:37
The further north you go, the less respect. Didn’t know it’s so bad in Sweden, but recently heard the Swedes are now ‘ashamed of flying’, due to environmental concerns, so I kind of see they do not love pilots.

There is a movement in Sweden called “flygskam” or “flying shame”. It’s literally people who are ashamed to fly and who refuse to fly because of it’s effect on the environment. People are being literally “shamed” on social media for taking flights when they could’ve taken the train. Is the movement working? Airport passengers numbers have dropped in the last year whilst rail travel has hit record levels. If pilots are seen as enablers by this movement it could cause the profession some grief:

As ‘Flying Shame’ Grips Sweden, SAS Ups Stakes in Climate Battle (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-14/as-flying-shame-grips-sweden-sas-ups-stakes-in-climate-battle)

DirtyProp
19th Apr 2019, 10:16
As I fly regularly in and out of grass strips I describe myself as a "specialized gardener" with a rather large lawn mower.

172_driver
19th Apr 2019, 14:40
Funny how pilots refer themselves too silly nicknames yet want to be respected and paid like pilots.

I have been doing it for 10+ years, been commuting for half that time, I know the backsides of this profession and I wont glorify it. Yet I wouldn't call myself anything but what I am.

Even those who find flying to be wrong for environmental reasons (of which I am one, in some ways) raise n eyebrow. You can share insights and take part in healthy discussions.

IZH
19th Apr 2019, 16:21
Usually people show a lot of interest when they hear that I‘m a pilot. And I heard all the stereotypes. „Oh, but you are wearing glasses, is that allowed?“, „But you are just a Co-pilot?“, „I believe the training took you about six or seven years?“, „But you don‘t do anything anymore, right? You just have a button for takeoff and one for the landing?“
And most people believe I don‘t work a lot and do maybe one ore two flights a day with a nice break to have a dinner in the city.
But I have never met anyone who was disrespectful. In my opinion it is more that people seem to still admire pilots for what they are doing. But I don‘t walk around and tell people that I‘m a pilot, I only tell it when they ask me.

The Range
19th Apr 2019, 20:55
Well,

As much as I love lurking the forum, I am tired of people complaining about their profession, which is a dream job for 75% of male population of the world. I know it is hard, bot well paid and it hurts your family and personal life. But if so - why did you spent so much money and effort to get there? Why can't you quit and change profession? I assure you that ATP(L) skillset will allow you to be successful and financially stable in project management, engineering and number of other jobs which are much better than the picture of airline pilot you are trying to draw here.
I know you're joking, but checking PPRUNe for years I see same jokes for years. Booooring.

&

PS
You know, I am just jealous ;)
Someone smart and bright wouldn't own a C-172 or something. He/she would rent it.

WeMadeYou
19th Apr 2019, 21:01
I’m from Sweden and working as a pilot in Sweden and I don’t recognise this at all. Never ever heard anyone mentioning something like this. Usually people are very interested and asking quite a lot of questions.
Actually I sometimes find it a bit annoying to so often end up with my job as a topic.

b1lanc
20th Apr 2019, 00:15
Agree, pilots are often their own worst enemies:

‘a trained monkey could do it’

‘just sit up here and push buttons’

are the sort of inane comments that have a large contingent of the public misunderstand and show contempt for what is still a fine profession, requiring a high level of technical skill, knowledge, good judgment and co -ordination

Impugning your own
profession is not clever

The most frustrating interview I ever had was with a Pan Am 707 captain who's son was a classmate in high school. We had to interview individuals in our occupation of choice. I walked out of his home extremely depressed after 5 minutes. 'It's like driving a bus - if you like that become a bus driver'. And that was in the 1960s. Sad.....

Loose rivets
20th Apr 2019, 01:06
I mostly used to keep quiet. I found just wearing my uniform to parties was enough. However, when in civvies I'd not say anything, but my wife, would sometimes let slip I was a pilot. I hated when that happened, but put up with the sudden thigh fondling. Though I hated it even more when they suddenly stopped the fondling and asked me if I'd got a big watch.

Girls who were old enough to know better suddenly had eyes that had become twice the former diameter. "Oh, aaaare you?!" They'd ask. The interrobang was invented for questions like this.

I was never quite sure if they had a string to their blouse buttons, but they'd spontaneously pop undone revealing a lacy bra that was clearly designed in black highlights along Lambert's Conformal Conic Projections - which would have my eyes tracking south to equatorial regions. My navigation was often interrupted by their boyfriend, who always seemed to be half the girl's height and only have one tooth . . . in the middle . . . and make the best use of it looking savage.

Then there'd be the disbelievers. More mature looking, often in power-suit and intense spectacles. Big planes? Erm, yes. Quite big. Then always, always, 'you don't carry passengers . . . do you?' Erm, yes.
Pause for disbelief mixed with areyouallowedtoleavaplanewhenyouseethepilotisadork - look.
'Live passengers'?
'Well, some of them are.'

Such sophistication would walk off with a set look of disbelief.

Then there's the sensible chap in a sports jacket. "What do you do?" He'd ask,
"Me? I'm a pilot for ACME Airways. Yourself?"
"Oh, I"m the chief pilot of British Airways."

1_of_600
20th Apr 2019, 01:12
Those that can, can, those that can't teach!

The full version:

Those who can, do.
Those who can't, teach.
Those who can't teach, manage.
Those who can't manage, write .
Those who can't write, write manuals.

Bergerie1
20th Apr 2019, 05:25
Having done all five of those, I probably need my head examined!!

Private jet
6th May 2019, 00:01
Take it down a notch and I’ve noticed jealousy from a certain demographic that manifests itself , which basically says “ you do nothing and get paid a fortune “, why can’t I do that ?, when, of course they wouldn’t have the sticking power to pass PPL airlaw.

And of course, don’t mention it when you want building work done , because it puts the price up.

Ain't that the truth!
In my experience of hiring "trades" it's a fine line. If you plead too much poverty they'll look for any excuse NOT to do the job because they'll think you can't or won't pay. If however you look like you have even fifty quid that you don't need, they'll want it, and use every sly little trick in the book to get it.