PDA

View Full Version : BCFT - Bournemouth College of Flight Training (not Groundschool)

IndiaAlphaLima
3rd Aug 2002, 22:53
Just to let you all know. Went to the open day at Bournemouth Commercial Flight Centre today.

The staff and facilities all seemed to be pretty good and the aircraft tidy. Seems like a pretty good place to go for training.

There are cheaper places and also more expensive ones but as far as costing goes this one seems like a winner.

If any one has any input on this i would be most grateful. Also anyone looking to start there in november and wanting to chat would be most welcome.

Cheers in advance!

Cheshire cat EGHH
4th Aug 2002, 08:29
Yeah BCFT is a good school, I have been watching it take shape for the last 6 months, really glad its all up and running ok.

The best thing is that, No other Commercial school (+ground) has a bar attatched to it.. perfect place for future pilots to practice their role!!..

But seriously, they have some top FI's, and a good set of books. And the FI's are always willing to help past hours.

I may go in November, but you will have to pull me out the bar first!!

Robthestudent
4th Aug 2002, 23:33
I went along too and was very impressed with what is on offer despite the fact i am now committed to PAT however i would recommend BFC.

Cheshire i thought you were departing the scene after your recent thread regarding colin green's new scam.

digga
5th Aug 2002, 08:52
Yup, went along to BCFT's open day on Saturday and was pleasantly surprised...

Good facilities, friendly instructors who seemed genuinely interested in your development (OK it was a marketing day and they were always going to be!:D )

Honest about costs - as well as hiddens - with realistic prices.

Good to be in an international airport environment too.

I will certainly consider BCFT when I commit to ATPL training.

Digga

ps. Does anyone know who the 747 classic belongs to ?!

simonh11
18th Apr 2003, 00:01
Hi,

Any wannabe's going to BCFT's open day on the 26th? I would be interested to hear your views on this bunch, and I want to find out more about this new simulator they seem so proud of! :suspect:

Regards
Simon

airshowpilot
21st Apr 2003, 13:08
I'd recommend spending your money with BCFT. Got my CPL/IR there a few months back. Very friendly people and excellent instruction. They are investing seriously in training and facilities, so check them out...

alaister
29th Apr 2003, 04:32
Hi Simon

I went down to BCFT on the 26th. Seems to be very impressive, they have clean, well maintained aircraft to train on, offer small class sizes so that learning is more on the personal side and instructors offer an open door policy and are willing to help at any time. Everyone down there seems to be happy and get along well and the students I spoke to, mainly Jay, have nothing but praise for the place.

As for the new sim, its still not on-line as far as I can gather. Should be available from July I think they said, but there other sims were good, but lacked any visuals. The HS-125 looked the business, so the new one should be a real benefit for BCFT.

Hope that helps, as I'm really considering starting my training there from base up.

AK

simonh11
30th Apr 2003, 18:54
Thanks alaister

I also went to BCFT on the 26th to have a look around. Got to play on the simulator and sit in the Duchess for a while. I did my PPL with them so getting an impartial view from others is important. Unless they go downhill over the next year and a half I expect to be giving them some money for CPL/IR training :D

Regards
Simon

paulrod87
14th May 2003, 05:33
BCFT...

Went to BCFT (Bournemouth) today and had an informal chat with some of the instructors about the CPL. It seems to be a good school at a reasonable price (!!!!). Any input welcome.
PR.

smartfroginthefog
1st Mar 2005, 19:12
Hi Everyone
Can anybody help, I'm in two mind about flying training, regarding the bcft , any testimonials , any of you guys done a course there? good, bad? was good, and gone bad or was bad and gone good, or simply plain average "normal" school?
any feedback appreciated.
Thanking you in anticipation

Nigel Gray
3rd Mar 2005, 20:37
Was lucky enough to have Mark Beasley when doing my IR there last year. Absolutely TOP NOTCH... his shoes are now filled by Trevor, who has the patience of God himself, and Lance who won't let you get away with anything. Also instructing there (I think) are Steve Davies, a softly spoken wise chap- also top notch.

As for groundschool- did ATPL stuff there Sept 03-Apr 04. First time passes in all subjects, average 94%. Need I say more?

What's a Girdler
27th Apr 2005, 11:25
Hi All

This is probably a 'totally done to death' thread, but here goes. I'm currently doing the ATPLs at BCFT, Distance Learning, and thinking of doing the CPL/IR/MCC/JOC there, is there anyone who can say they have managed to get a low houred RHS turbine job having finished with them and if so who with?

At the mo I'm not 100% sure who the flying will be done with. I am impressed with BCFT so far with the ATPL side of things. I'm not sure what links they have to any airlines or exec carriers (don't mind which just hoping to start of turbine a/c of some description).

Any advice in this area would be most appreciated as I'm fed up with radar screens!!

carbonfibre
28th Apr 2005, 15:37
If you do the MCC with them don't do the JOC, just about the same course, you have to be party to there JOC course anyway to fly that thing

Message me if you want more info:ok:

What's a Girdler
29th Apr 2005, 09:11
Can't seem to send you any message as your mailbox is full!!

Any more info would be useful though!

Send Clowns
29th Apr 2005, 15:01
Carbonfibre

Really sorry, but I cannot tell what you're trying to say about JOCs. I am a little concerned that you have mistaken my employer for someone else, so could you send me a PM with more info so I can either correct any misapprehension or let my head of training know if yuo have a genuine concern about BCFT? Much appreciated.

carbonfibre
2nd May 2005, 13:59
SC

No im not on about another Training provider, I am merely pointing out some very informative information that was passed to me, the MCC and JOC are done on the same sim? correct? ok if so you are taught the same method of handling, I assume, for standardisation, got a bit of raw data flying in, got to start the engine sequence but at the end of the day its all about the method of control, EPR's standard checklists and quirks with jets, all this was done on the MCC. I have to say having manually flown the tristar it was a might more stable than a C152 with some gusty wind

I mean you complete the LOFT excercise, SID's , STAR's, Auto pilot and manual ILS , and it was pretty good ILS manually flown if I dont say so myself, the MCP, roll out , Taxying.

So for the same money what do would we get different? also Lance can PM me if he likes, by the way I did do not have trouble with BCFT to confirm my MCC course was excellent, just fail to see the difference on same sim except more manual handling. Maybe its because we had a good Sim instructor and went through in more detail that the average, "heres the autopilot lets see how you talk to each other", i dont know.

You tell me

CF:ok:

What's a Girdler
12th May 2005, 10:17
Can i have some answers to the original question, not too bothered about MCC at this stage!!:confused:

silverknapper
12th May 2005, 10:40
The original question is a bit vague mate.
I'm not sure what links they have to any airlines or exec carriers (don't mind which just hoping to start of turbine a/c of some description).
I very much doubt that they do. Indeed you'll struggle to find a school who does.
Every school in the country will have someone who has got a low hour turbine job. And someone who hasn't. The choice of school is only a small part in this.

EGBKFLYER
1st Aug 2005, 12:26
I'm aiming to do an MCC between 23 Aug and 2 Sep (has to be those dates). I have a place at BCFT but no partner as yet, so the course is in jeopardy...

Anyone want to join me and make it happen? Either PM me or contact BCFT direct.

Thanks.

FlyingFroggy17
19th Feb 2006, 09:55
Hi all,
Do you know any accomodation near BCFT in bournemouth that won't kill my piggy bank?
Have fun.
FF17

Rock Lobster
19th Feb 2006, 13:52
I stayed at a place approximately 3 miles away. Last year it was £15 a night, £3 for evening meal and £5 a week for washing and ironing if you wanted it done. (I did because I'm lazy) Privately owned house with off street car parking and an outdoor swimming pool. If this sounds like what you're after let me know and I'll provide contact details.

BigGrecian
20th Feb 2006, 03:14
I thought most schools held an accommodation list - I stayed at the same place as above and think there is probably better around for the same cost. Ask BCFT.

helicopter-redeye
20th Feb 2006, 09:39
This subjects been done recently. Search on 'posts by me' for a complete list locally. h-r;)

scubawasp
22nd Jun 2006, 16:41
Anyone going on it on the 17th July 06?

Turkish777
5th Jul 2006, 18:18
Im going to the one on the 7th July, if that helps

pushapproved
5th Jul 2006, 19:33
Yes, I am! Feel free to PM

UAU242
30th Nov 2006, 16:42
hi there ppl_stude,
i'm currently doing the groundschool with bcft. The books are good, the instructors are all very friendly, very helpful and very experienced and do their best for you, the place is right next to the runway providing some much needed motivation and there's a cosy pub down the road!
My advice is, go down to Bournemouth and have a look round!

ivehad2many
1st Dec 2006, 07:44
Everything from PPL was completed at BCFT. Started from 14 and now 23..

All training i found A* (hence the reason i stayed!) Pass marks have been excelent and everything 1st passes in flight tests.

Have my first job starting this jan (and on a jet so what a bonus!)

Personally think that's pretty quick for a job as i completed CPL, Multi, Multi IR, MCC and FIC all this year around june time.

If you wanna know more about BCFT give me a pm or call dena (01202 599888)

Crispywings
1st Dec 2006, 13:02
I completed all my ground & flight training with BCFT over the last 2 years.
The level of experience and dedication is second to none.
The Ground School overseen by Phil Lucas was excellent.
The flight training was also of a very high standard, I have to add my sincere thanks to Mike Smart who due to his high standard of flying and teaching ability (and patience!!) got me through my CPL IR. Also many thanks to Sendclowns for his Gen nav & Flt planning assistance!

I managed to secure a position with a UK airline 7 weeks after completing my MCC course, an am now flying brand new 737-800’s

I must add, I didn’t complete my MCC at BCFT (this being due to the highly subscribed course being full when I wanted to do it).
I’d recommend BCFT any day.

Don’t ever lose sight of the dream!

Chrispy:ok:

Stall-turn-Go
8th Jan 2007, 14:08
Hi All,

Not sure this particular schools comparison has its own thread, if it does, my apologies.

Over the next six months I will be applying for the last remaining, sponsorship (type) opportunities, including CTC which I am well aware is not a sponsorship but a bloody good opportunity nevertheless.

I will be putting my all into each application but if they are not successful I wish to be ready with alternative arrangements. As such I also aim to have completed the renovation of my house in 6 months which I will then be selling in order to use the profit for modular training. As a result of selling up I shall be moving back to my parents nr bournemouth. This means that I am fairly restricted as to which FTO i use. I have read the entire thread on Cabair and naturally have mixed feelings as a result. I have found only limited information on this site about Bournemouth Commercial Flight Training but having researched their operation myself have found them to be a good looking option.

Any light, recent experiences, reccommendations etc. that you lads and ladies can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :ok:

Would like to hear about PFT and PAT schools too, thanks.

SinBin
8th Jan 2007, 15:25
Did everything at BCFT, great school, great instructors, and always ready to help me, best thing of all was the MCC. I always flew when I wanted to, and they even were able to fit me in at the weekends which was a great help. The boss still lets me fly his nice planes too! Go and see them or speak to Dena Dove.

Also BEWARE CABAIR at Bournemouth. too many friends with too many horror stories!

Stall-turn-Go
8th Jan 2007, 17:00
Thanks for the reply SinBin,

Could I ask what your employment prospects have been like since, or if a commercial flying job was not your intention etc.

Cheers

south coast
8th Jan 2007, 17:07
for the flight training, i would recommend PAT to you in Bournemouth.

VFE
8th Jan 2007, 17:23
Is Mike Smart the CFI at BCFT now?

VFE.

Stall-turn-Go
8th Jan 2007, 17:34
Cheers South Coast

Would you be able to back that recommendation with an example of your experience with PAT and why you would recommed them.

Cheers

Stall-turn-Go
9th Jan 2007, 16:37
Just wanted to post on here again to bring it back to the fore, as Scroggs merged it last night, Cheers Scroggs.

1981flyer
10th Jan 2007, 10:08
Stall-Turn-Go

I see you were asking about PFT. I visited them this week to see the service and facilities they are offering and was highly impressed. They have exceptional first time pass rate and cost is good. They have their facilities based within an airline establishment (always a good start in life!!). The other thing that attracted me was the complete 1 to 1 basis I would be trained on and that they fly 7 days a week, so convenient, and also means get qualified quicker as I can choose pretty much when I want to fly. People really friendly and knowledgeable. All in all I would say well worth an enquiry and look around.

will fly for food 06
10th Jan 2007, 15:59
Hi
looking at starting my atpl groundschools at BCFT in a few months providing i can get a ppl issued before then(dont worry ex military pilot just dont have a ppl)

south coast
10th Jan 2007, 16:09
Stall-turn-go...
Yes, the instruction is first grade from instructors who want to be there as opposed to young'uns just accumulating hours.
I never had a problem with plane availability or due to technical problems.
The school is fairly small, low key premises and no frills, but thats what I wanted. If you dont want all the attitude of a busy flight school, people prancing around with a bit of gold on their shoulders and thinking they are god, the PAT is a good school.
I think they are fairly priced too.

This was with regards to PAT, as is all getting very confusing with a similar named organisation.

BigAl's
10th Jan 2007, 16:51
sorry chaps, this is most likely me being thick...:}

can someone just clarify the difference (if any) between

PAT and
PFT.

Ta muchly.:ok:

1981flyer
10th Jan 2007, 18:16
PAT is Professional Air Training, PFT is Professional Flight Training. Don't know much about PAT but sounds similar to PFT. As stated in previous message PFT seems well worth looking in to, instructors are well experienced and mature, smaller set up, with much greater attention to detail.

south coast
10th Jan 2007, 18:38
When I trained with PAT, I dont recall a PFT, but, they(PFT) obviously are hoping to trade off the good name of PAT and people who get confused with the names, that in itself tells you something.

biaeghh
10th Jan 2007, 20:02
1981 Flyer

What planet are you on, if PFT is the organisation just started up by Mike Boulton then one would question what pass rates are you talking about??
As of the end of december my understanding was Mike was a one man band operating out of European essentially using an FNPT2 for IR renewals etc.
I might stand to be corrected but as far as I know he does not have an aircraft.

Furthermore your poor research is confirmed by the fact you know little about PAT (Professional Air Training). From what i know about this organisation they are the longest established school at Bournemouth followed closely by BCFT,not the johnny comely lately combo of Mr Boulton and Mr Kember.

As for genuine pass rates talk to real people like Linda and Anthony Mollison or Lance Plews. And one final piece of advice is avoid the shower known as CABAIR or EPTA or whatever their latest re-incarnartion is this week.

Good Luck

BigAl's
10th Jan 2007, 21:11
Ah, well I'm glad that's sorted out then ;).

Thanks for the feedback. I did my RT oral at BCFT. Generally seemed like a good outfit, nice people etc. :)

Linda Mollison
11th Jan 2007, 08:42
Professional Air Training (PAT) has been established at Bournemouth since 1993.
Professional Flight Training (PFT) is a very small school which has only recently been approved for IR training at Bournemouth and unfortunately has chosen a very similar name to PAT.

Linda Mollison
11th Jan 2007, 08:48
Sorry, I did not realise other people had already posted the information I have just posted.

I cannot work out this new system of accessing posts (and I am not sure it works all the time)!

Much preferred the old system.

Linda Mollison

Stall-turn-Go
15th Jan 2007, 14:37
Thank you all who've posted,

I'm posting again to bring this thread back up to the top as I'm keen to hear from more people who have experiences of PAT and BCFT. I do not intend to begin my training for some months and would love to continue reading other people's stories up to the point i need to make a final decision.

Regards

SinBin
15th Jan 2007, 20:54
BCFT - Is all good, head honcho, Lance is a character, quite a scary fella in the air by day, get a drink in him in the evening and he's a pussy cat! Planes are all in good nick, always available, full use of Bournemouth Flying Club without a membership fee. Ground Instructors are ace, especially Zach F who is a good friend now, Phil L and Steve W. All flying instructors are very good, professional, experienced career guys and girls and I had a great time there. What was great was their flexibility. I held down a full time 9-5 job and did the lot in evenings and weekends.

I am now beginning to get some sniffs of jobs, unfortunately the job market is slow for everyone at the moment.

pomme pilot
2nd Feb 2007, 13:09
Finished my CPL/IR conversion at BCFT yesterday. I actually transferred to BCFT from another JAA college, and was extremely happy that I did. As the course was a conversion, I have obviously trained at other organisations throughout the world. I can honestly say that BCFT were superb, a very good choice for flying training in the UK. They do not take on too many students and have plenty of aeroplanes and very experienced instructors. However my greatest praise was how accommodating they were. With very short notice they fitted me into their flying schedule, and completed the course in minimal time, even offering to fly at weekends if needed.
Without going on for too long this is a excellent flying establishment, with friendly and helpful staff whose aim is to get you a license with minimal time and cost.
If you need any more info, PM me.:ok:

expedite08
2nd Feb 2007, 18:34
Just completed my night rating with BCFT. Excellent!!! Supurb training and customer service. Got mine done in exactly 5 hours. Very flexible and the instructors, staff, and current students all very welcomming and friendly.

Used my night rating as a taster if you like, to see if I wanted to do my CPL and IR there. The above statement says the answer to that one.

10 out of 10. :ok: :D :D

BigAl's
2nd Feb 2007, 18:47
Aaaahh... very interesting expedite08, as I am sitting here thinking about enquiring about a night rating with BCFT!! :bored:

Seems like a good place to go. Did my RT practical there.. impressed with set up.

On a slightly different slant, how soon (or not) after getting your PPL would you advise going for the night rating?

Many thanks
Big al :ok:

Life's a Beech
3rd Feb 2007, 21:46
As soon as you like. I did an FAA PPL, that incorporates night privilege. I knew people who did a night rating as part of their JAA PPL, although I am not sure that is still allowed.

giertom1
21st Apr 2007, 17:53
Bournemouth Comercial Flight Traning (BCFT) Any Info or any opinion. Please. :confused:

Present Students, recent graduates or FO`s graduate with BCFT.
I`m thinking to go for Jet Line Course with them in Sept or Oct `07?
Doing at present, recently finished or FO`s & CPT`s - Would you be that nice and share your expierience you`ve had with BCFT.

I will be so happy to read any feedback.:confused:

Thank You. Tom:ok:
:D

cosworth211
21st Apr 2007, 20:57
Hi, I recently gained a first time pass on my CPL with them in minimum hours. They are extremely honest and upfront with their prices, I received top class instruction and their facilities are superb. To be honest I was pleasantly surprised after my experiences with a previous FTO.

I chose to do all my training on their Arrow 5 which was extremely modern, very well equipped and well maintained. I didn't suffer any delays due to any tech issues. They also have a second aircraft available for the CPL, an Arrow 3, quite rare from my experience of FTO's.

giertom1
24th Apr 2007, 18:35
Hi pomme pilot (http://www.pprune.org/forums/member.php?u=113606) vbmenu_register("postmenu_3103593", true);

I`ve zero hour but want to go commercialy. I`ve visited few schools, I`ve so many course brochures but I`m still thinking. Where to go? Which college will be the best for me? :ugh:
OAT and Cabair integrated are so expensive, But BCFT modular Jet Line Course sounds q.good. :) :)
You`ve expierience with Few FTO`s. How did you find BCFT? Office Staff, Instructors, facilities? Do they help you to find the job etc?
Do you think it`s worth it? :confused:

I will be happy if you share it with me

Thank you
Tomek

pomme pilot
25th Apr 2007, 11:04
Hi Tomek,
It’s a tough decision, but only you can decide which flying establishment will suit you, gut feelings are usually pretty accurate…
With regards to BCFT, I was impressed. As I mentioned above, I was doing a conversation, so I didn’t do the full jet course. I have used other schools though, and BCFT was joint top place, with an IR school over in Australia. They were very approachable, honest, with a good A/C fleet. The only delay I suffered was due to the weather, which to be honest was pretty good, given that it was Jan when I was doing my CPL, and only lost a couple of days.
The instructors were all very experienced, for example, my instructors included a very experienced career instructor, a B747 and a B757 pilot.
The test centre is also on the field, meaning no ferrying, and minimal waits for tests, usually within 2 days!
Unfortunately, I am still seeking employment, and as far as I am aware, they do not offer assistance (this may be different with the jet line program, better ask them.)
All in all, they may not offer the prestige of Oxford, but they offer good training, and all of the staff including the HOT are interested in your progress and getting you through in the minimum time and with the minimum expense.
:ok:

Felix Saddler
23rd May 2007, 02:44
Bournemouth commercial flight training (http://www.bcft.org.uk/)

captain_rossco
23rd May 2007, 06:48
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=62040&highlight=BCFT

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=272417&highlight=BCFT

Call them up, have a word and pay them I visit, I had a chinwag with Deana at the flyer show and found her and all of the teaching staff to be a very amiable group.

I was all but set on attending for my Gorundschool, changed my mind recently following a little news on some rather cheap accommodation al la oxford.

Kind Regards

Rossco

Lima288
23rd May 2007, 09:20
I'm currently doing groundschool with BCFT with a view to continuing with the flying training modules later this year. I looked at other providers before making my choice, and I must say that I have absolutely no regrets about my choice!
The staff and facilities are first class, and the atmosphere is relaxed, yet professional in all respects. It's an ideal learning environment, and great fun too.
As Rosco says, best thing is to pop in and have a look, and see if it feels right for you!

config-2
9th Jun 2007, 16:58
Hi,
Has anyone attended BCFT for the CPL/ME/IR after completing the PPL and hour building in America? How did you find the transition to UK airspace and the different R/T? Did you complete the courses in minimum time or were extra hours required? How did the school help you with the transition?
Many thanks for your help.

TCU LUX
23rd Jun 2007, 10:48
G'day all,

Just got off the phone from PFT. They 'sound' fine to me. They do admit to being a very small organisation however they do stress that students get one to one for the whole training...

I am considering doing the MEP/IR/CPL with them. I would love to hear what people have to say about PFT (ex/current students or anyone that knows someone who trained with them). I know lots of people have used BCFT and PAT... but what about PFT....anybody??

Thanks.:ok:

Dinesheway
18th Mar 2009, 09:25
HI,i am dinesh from India I wantedto become a PILOT.So i am thinking of joining in BCFT.Could you please tell me that i can join in that school,and also tellme abut the other schools which comes under thw same price,please advice me.Thankyou.