PDA

View Full Version : Inconvenient Flight Roster

Craftydutchman
10th Apr 2019, 07:47
Hello General Aviation pilot here. Considering the airlines, but I wonder...

How often do Airline Pilots get those really EARLY morning and LATE night rosters? Is it as bad as I hear?

I do enjoy my beauty sleep :8

Thanks

mustafagander
10th Apr 2019, 11:01
You have much to learn sunshine.
As a newbie in any airline you will be the lowest of the low and any crap rosters will be yours.
Suck it up princess, as more newbies come in below your seniority your rosters will improve but really, airline rosters tend to crap coz people want to fly at times that really don't suit US.
It is survivable - I did 45 years and lived to tell the tale.

Sleeve Wing
10th Apr 2019, 14:14
Yep, as Mustafa says, pal, you can forget a structured life from the day you arrive on line.
I did 25 years airline and you'll learn to sleep on your feet, in taxis, in the crewroom - in fact anywhere where you're in the same spot for a short while.
The best one is finishing on lates before maybe two days off and then rostered on earlies. Two days off ? Pull the other one, sunshine ! No wonder your kids get fed up.

Capt Scribble
10th Apr 2019, 21:18
Our earliest report this summer is 3am local. Yesterday, I left home at 15.30 and returned at 0630 L. ‘Charter’ flying uses the aircraft 24 hrs a day.

Craftydutchman
11th Apr 2019, 06:19
Thanks for the replies.
On an average month, how often would you get these graveyard shifts (working through midnight or waking up very early)?

Intruder
11th Apr 2019, 18:52
Depends on the airline... Could be as much as EVERY day (e.g., FedEx or UPS night freight runs)!