PDA

View Full Version : Another Kenn Borek Question

Gand
3rd Aug 2002, 21:52
Hi all,
I found the previous post titled "Kenn Borek Air" informative, but it seemed to be focused on Kenn Borek/Harbour Air. I'm wondering what is involved with getting a non-float position with Borek. I'm sure they must hire pilots without a float endorsement, or do they? I imagine the hiring requirements should be similar to those mentioned in the previous post dealing with Harbour Air, but are there any differences in hiring procedures, and/or requirements worth mentioning. Thanks in advance.

justcurious
4th Aug 2002, 04:19
Kenn Borek is several profit centres, each with a primary contact, and free access to the powers that be. Since the company has seven domestic bases and a couple of international bases (As well as several types-4 different Beeches, Bandierantes, the '3, and the ubiquitous Otter), you might try to cultivate someone who does the sort of job in the region that interests you. We hire people on a regular basis who do not have a float rating or even a desire to fly floats.

The little bits about CRM, SOPs, the CDN IFR regulations are bits of advise that you need to have covered before you start pounding the door. As well, the dragon lady that guards the door is very very good at that aspect of her job. The company hires to a very large extent on internal references. If a dunce is hired it reflects poorly on the recommending pilot, and the choices for bases on his/her Christmas Wish List will be very limited.

It seems germane to note that almost everyone I know at KBAL is fiercely proud of the company they work for. To a large extent they wear company jackets, and hats. There is a Tim Horton's donut shop around the corner from the hangar. There is a Bar at the Port of Call where maintainers and admin types (but certainly never pilots) ;) might partake. Draw your own conclusions.

Gand
4th Aug 2002, 19:45
justcurious,
Thanks for your insight. I'm not yet at the point where i'm ready for KBAL, but as a pilot and a Calgarian, Borek is the type of company and operation i strive to be a part of. Hopefully your company takes into account someone's passion and personality as much as they look at there numbers and testing there knowledge/memory. Either way i'm looking forward to giving it my best shot, just give me a year or two. As for the Port O'Call, i recommend the nachos ;). Thanks again.

Gand

justcurious
6th Aug 2002, 14:39
Actually, yes, passion and drive count for quite a bit with KBAL. The list of skill areas that you need to be up to speed on are simply givens for employment. Since the company is a small yet global airline, we are spread thin, and the ranks must necessarily be filled by the keen.

Personality is assessed (to the extent we can) by the people you happen to be with in the groundschool. This ranges from crusty 25000 hour drivers to 501 hour first officers, and usually from a dozen diferent bases.

As an aside, since you mention that you are aspiring, but not yet qualified, you might wish as well to become really proficient in your understanding of the handling of dangerous goods, and whimis. Our pilots earn fairly good money for working six months of the year on light twins. The down side is that we are a lean organization, and acceptance and loading of a variety of really wacky dangerous goods is a daily occurance for pilots.

By this, I mean all the sorts of things that British Airways pilots must load on the Concorde all the time: Cement Mixers, Snowmobiles, 90 HP outboard Motors, Rabid Fox Heads, and zillions of Fuel Drums.

While you are studying, a map of the arctic, with the names of the places we fly from? (probably a good idea). A helpful int Iqaluit is in the east Inuvik is in the west, Cambridge is in the middle, Resolute in in the middle, at the top. Oh, I suppose you don't need a map now after all.

mkeelan
6th Aug 2002, 20:49
just curious...

i enjoy reading your posts, they are always insightful and witty. just a quick question for you, do you think KBAL will be hiring any pilots in the next few months? i'm moving back to calgary from Belize and i've got just over 2400 hours now, most of it pic and about 800 turbine. what do you think my chances would be like?
cheers,
mike
ps - i promise i won't forget my passport in any crazy places... like chile;)

justcurious
7th Aug 2002, 06:47
Pilots at Borek generally depart for WestJet, AC Regional (whatever they happened to be called at the moment), Air Canada, and CMA. Three of these groups are hiring now, perhaps even all four! So- Yes! KBAL will likely be hiring. We already have one former Belizean Van driver, and your hours aren't totally out of line.

Might as well tuck your passport in with your licence, since it's essentially a condition of employment. People have been leaving passports in a variety of interesting places in Chile for many years now. This last one wasn't particularly entertaining. Some of the others- different story. However- not in the club, not eligible to hear the stories.

mkeelan
5th Sep 2002, 17:04
just curious...

just curious as to who your ex Belizean Van driver flying at borek is, i might know of him.

cheers:cool:

justcurious
6th Sep 2002, 04:36
Greg

mkeelan
6th Sep 2002, 08:54
that's what i thought. thanks!

Mike Kuhn
8th Sep 2002, 23:15
Greg Dickinson?

PAflyboi
22nd Sep 2002, 21:04
What do you think the chances would be at Kenn Borek for an 850-hour (60 multi) FAA licensed Commercial pilot?

I understand their published minima are 500 TT. Any specific multi engine hour requirement?

justcurious
24th Sep 2002, 00:52
It's possible, for the out of the country contracts, but at the entry-level, there are scads of local Canadian-licenced pilots vying for the same jobs. Occaisionally for the international contracts, KBAL selects people who do not have a valid Canadian licence, but these people generally have important related experience, such as DHC6 float command time.