PDA

View Full Version : US Registration

flying beret
8th Apr 2019, 13:42
Hi all
I would like to fly a single engine piston with a US Registration in Europe (France),
for medical reasons.
If i find the cessna of my dream with which firm can i send it in France by container?
Is there many mechanics faa aproved in France?
Can you list the trap i have to avoid?
thanks for cops
fb

Jan Olieslagers
8th Apr 2019, 16:29
can i send it in France by container from where?
Is there many mechanics faa aproved in France there are several.
Can you list the trap i have to avoidnot all, but a prime concern is that you can offer proof of having paid VAT at import.

PS if you have medical issues, you might consider the alternative path of flying an F-registered ultralight on a French ultralight license. No medical required. Be warned though that there are exams to take (on air law and all that) and though the answers are multiple choice, the questions are in French.

Sam Rutherford
8th Apr 2019, 16:30
We ferry planes across the Atlantic all the time.

C152 is probably cheaper/easier to send by container. From C172 and larger usually better to ferry (fly).

Lots of FAA engineers in France, be aware of import duty and TVA that you'll have to pay when it arrives in France. It's not a complicated process, no stress.

Cheers, Sam.

Sam Rutherford
8th Apr 2019, 16:33
Jan Olieslagers

Simultaneous responses! With the same correct information.

flying beret If you only need two seats, then Jan's advice is worth analysis (cheaper and easier).

Pilot DAR
9th Apr 2019, 03:05
Let me ask a purely speculative question: If one desired having an N registered plane in Europe, could you not buy the plane you like in Europe, deregister it in Europe, register it in the US with an import, and then just not move it out of Europe? I have some experience containering planes, and it would not be my first choice for moving them. Why not leave it where you found it, and move only its registration?

flyingfemme
9th Apr 2019, 17:22
Yes. That can be done. But the costs of re-registering may be more than the costs to ferry........VAT has to be paid either way.

Sam Rutherford
11th Apr 2019, 07:17
The de-register/re-register costs will normally be less than a ferry, though it may not be by much and involves some risk (if your American DAR refuses to accept your aircraft). This is extremely rare going EUR to N, but is a definite risk going N to EUR (FAA much more accepting of modifications than EASA).

flying beret
11th Apr 2019, 14:13
Hi
thanks for your responses

I was thinking about a Cessna in the US.
The VAT amount will be around 15/20% i imagine?
I’ve already got a license for Ultralight(i flew fk9 and ikarus c42)the Shark is an interesting one,
but i’d like 3 or 4 seats to carry family and friends during week-end or holidays,

Do you have an approximate idea of the cost to ferry a cessna 172,
what an adventure ! Is it possible to fly with the experienced pilot?

you’re right, good idea,
i’ve to study that way,
it could be easier and cheaper to find an aircraft in Europe
and ask for an N reg,

thanks for cops

fb