PDA

View Full Version : "NEG" indication below altitude window

Vibes
7th Apr 2019, 15:09
Hi folks, on the A330 PFD, there are times when the indication "NEG" will appear just below the altitude window. What exactly does this indication entail?

Thank you

a5in_the_sim
7th Apr 2019, 15:39
Were you on the ground in Amsterdam? Is this a serious question? FFS!

Johnny F@rt Pants
7th Apr 2019, 16:26
Now, I’m not type rated on ANY Airbus aeroplane, nor have I ever been, but even I reckon that I know the answer to this one. I take it you were at airports that are below sea level when it appears??

Lexsis
7th Apr 2019, 17:53
Negative elevation. ;-) Hence, below sea level.

Uplinker
7th Apr 2019, 18:17
Were you on the ground in Amsterdam? Is this a serious question? FFS!

(my bold). Play nicely Draco...... It might be obvious to you but not the OP, hence why they are asking the question. (They might not be a pilot).

To answer the OP, this commonly happens at airports (near sea level elevation) if the atmospheric pressure has increased since the previous crew left the aircraft. The QNH they set before they landed now gives an altitude below sea level, and this is highlighted with the ‘NEG’ caption.

FE Hoppy
7th Apr 2019, 19:51
(my bold). Play nicely Draco...... It might be obvious to you but not the OP, hence why they are asking the question. (They might not be a pilot).

To answer the OP, this commonly happens at airports (near sea level elevation) if the atmospheric pressure has increased since the previous crew left the aircraft. The QNH they set before they landed now gives an altitude below sea level, and this is highlighted with the ‘NEG’ caption.

Might not be a pilot! I hope to god he isn't!