PDA

View Full Version : Revalidation for PPL

PrivateFlyer
3rd Aug 2002, 16:38
Hello all,

I know these are simple questions but because this is my first revalidation I'm not sure, so I'll ask.

I gained my JAA PPL and night rating approx 2 years ago in the states and since have done about 24 hours (10 in the last 6 months, 14 in the last 12 months - inc 6 hours with an instructor) in the UK. My expiration date is 24/09/02. What is the correct procedure for revalidating my licence? I take it I have to send both my licence and logbook to the CAA but are there any additional forms which I need to send along with the items? (If no do I need a covering letter?). Also which address do these need to be forwarded to? Any other information would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks plenty!
PF.

formationfoto
3rd Aug 2002, 16:54
Don't take this as the final word but I suspect the answer is that you need to have a flight with an instructor who will look at your licence and logbook and fill in the paperwork for sending to the CAA (no need to send logbook and licence off). The aim of the current regime is to get everyone with an instructor every two years as a safety check.

HotCarb
3rd Aug 2002, 17:04
I've just had mine revalidated by experience (was due to lapse on 21st Sept this year) and it sounds like you should too!

If you've flown as P1 or P1/s for more than 12 hours in the last 12 months of validity of the licence AND at least 6 of those hours have been P1 AND you have flown at least 1 hour with an instructor, then you can be revalidated for a further 24 months by any CAA Examiner. It's just a case of filling in a basic form, getting the examiner to sign it. He'll revalidate your class rating in your licence and off you go for another 24 months.

Well - that's what I understand anyway!

Cheers

stiknruda
3rd Aug 2002, 17:11
I understand that any of the PFA's coaches (class rated instructors) can also sign you off - if you have access to a flying machine.

Your local PFA strut should be able to assist you.

Stik

BlueLine
3rd Aug 2002, 17:40
All good advice but nobody has made the point that you must have it revalidated before the expiry date, go one day over and your hours are no good. You can revalidate it at any time in the 12 months before expiry so get it signed now, rather than later. You lose nothing as the next expiry date will be 24 months from the current expiry date.

A PFA coach cannot sign you up, only a person holding a JAA Examiner Authority can do that.

BEagle
3rd Aug 2002, 22:13
The 'dual training flight' must have been with a JAR-FCL qualified FI and he/she must also have signed your personal flying logbook to that effect.

It sounds as though you could indeed revalidate by experience, but only if your SEP Class rating has not already lapsed.

Incidentally, all this should have been part of the thorough ground school instruction which your US Flight School gave you..............

englishal
4th Aug 2002, 10:40
ground school instruction which your US Flight School gave you..............

Yea but lets face it, the JAA rules are so complicated even some UK examiners can't understand them. I had my revalidation messed up by an examiner, and had to write to the CAA, and then get it all done again.

Don't forget that the licence will be revalidated for 24 months from ORIGINAL date of Expiry...As mentioned before. This is important to know, as it appears some examiners over here don't know this.

Also the dual flight can be any flight. I used a cross channel checkout in the last 12 months....

Cheers
EA:)

GoneWest
4th Aug 2002, 12:58
BlueLine - you sure about

You can revalidate it at any time in the 12 months before expiry so get it signed now, rather than later. You lose nothing as the next expiry date will be 24 months from the current expiry date.

I was under the impression that you could revalidate any time within THREE months of expiry date and have the full 24 months added to the original expiry date - and revalidating before the three months would only give 24 months from date of revalidation.

englishal
4th Aug 2002, 16:10
12 months is ok. Extract from email from CAA SRG....

"You are also correct in identifying the fact that, provided the examiner signs up the Certificate of Revalidation page within the 12 months prior to the expiry of the current Certificate, the revalidated rating will run from the date the existing rating expires, even if the current rating has more than 3 months to run. (this does not apply if revalidation was by proficiency check)."

Cheers
EA
:)

Julian
5th Aug 2002, 04:01
Revalidation requirements were briefed to me whilst signing up the paperwork once passing - I did a US based JAA course.

Agree with EA though, talking to quite a few people in UK and few seem to actually know whats reuired of them to keep their licence...:rolleyes:

JayCeeEll
5th Aug 2002, 08:09
Don't forget to get the signature for re-validation by experience in your log book / on the form before the expiry date.
Doing the hours on the last day and getting the signiture the day after is TOO late!
:(