PDA

View Full Version : The times they are a changing..........

beamer
31st Mar 2019, 18:13
I have just come back to GA after a long, long, absence and I find that it has changed beyond all recognition to what I remember. Not just the cost, which has always been a factor, but more the increasing use of GPS, SkyDemon and all associated paraphernalia which seems de rigour these days. Now, don't get me wrong. The importance of briefing, accurate flying and good navigation has never been more important as airspace becomes more and more regulated. I see the reports about infringements and understand how costly they can be and not just in financial terms. I just wonder where the fun has gone especially as my days of turning upside down are thankfully long behind me. I am probably just out of step with the way things are but I just wonder out loud if others feel the same way ?

pulse1
31st Mar 2019, 19:36
In 1997 I came back to GA after a break of 23 years. In those days, I had to do the whole PPL course again but I only had to do half the hours. The first thing I noticed was the increased number of exams and the massive increase in the literature I had to study. Originally, in 1967, there was just a small book called "The Student Pilot's Handbook". Apart from that I didn't really see much difference outside the huge difference in the environment I was flying in. Originally I learned at an uncontrolled airfield in a non radio aircraft. The later learning was at an International airport and was very much radio-centric. Apart from that I couldn't really see much difference until the moving map GPS allowed cross country flying to be much more relaxing and therefore much more fun for mediocre navigators like me. As I now fly a Permit aircraft it is more like flying in older times as long as you stick to private strips and part ownership gives one a sense of freedom that renting rarely does.. The introduction of Medical Declarations instead of regular medical examinations has also restored a sense of freedom for us older aviators.