PDA

View Full Version : Navigation exams

Graham.R.Mills
29th Mar 2019, 09:50
Why is it that the CAA require the use of 1950’s slide rule technology in exams, and not alllow electronic calculators? Calculators have been allowed in O and A level exams (or whatever they are called these days) for 40 years. They are plentiful, reliable, more accurate, easier to use, far more likely to be used in a cockpit than a wizz wheel once licence obtained.

Piper.Classique
29th Mar 2019, 11:21
It's only PPL where you have to count on your fingers. ATPL you can use a calculator. Anyway, there's hardly any maths in a PPL exam

MarcK
29th Mar 2019, 17:48
Do they not allow 4-function calculators for things like weight and balance computation? Electronic wind calculators cost a lot more than a cardboard E6B, and you won't ever use one after the test. I teach my students how to use the E6B because I want them to be able to visualize the wind effects.

Maoraigh1
30th Mar 2019, 21:43
They used to allow electronic calculators in the PPL exam, but not programmable ones.
I used one when regaining my PPL in 1987.
I had used a mechanical slide rule in 1964, but found regaining familiarity not worth the effort, as it was easier to calculate using trig.
If you're using an electronic calculator daily, and are familiar with trig, check the legality.
Their cheap, if you don't already have access to one.

Steepclimb
31st Mar 2019, 00:51
In the air does anyone use calculators or CRPs? Even before GPS rule of thumb was the way to go. That and IFR. I follow roads. I dedicatedly learned the 1 in 60 rule. In real life I never used it once.

Level Attitude
31st Mar 2019, 02:41
I dedicatedly learned the 1 in 60 rule. In real life I never used it once.
Really ?

Have you never used: Max. Drift = 60 / TAS x WV ?

Just asking.....:)

scifi
31st Mar 2019, 10:12
Or just point the nose into wind until, where you want to go to, is at a constant bearing..?

I always liked my Slide Rule, as you could see multiple answers at the same time.. eg. litres to gallons. A calculator only gives one answer.

TheOddOne
31st Mar 2019, 15:43
Why is it that the CAA require the use of 1950’s slide rule technology in exams,

Even in the United States, they still use the Circular Slide Rule to enable students to visualise how to lay off drift due to wind. The great commercial flight schools there are also now ordering aircraft with individual round instruments, with later conversion to Primary Flight Displays as they think it gives ab initio students a better appreciation of the fundamentals.

Likewise, UK driving schools all use manual gear change cars...

My wife had one of these fancy and expensive electronic flight calculators. One day, we were planning a trip and I gave her a race, to see who would be finished sooner in preparing our Plog. I won easily with my trusty CRP 5, but then I teach with it daily.
Apparently, in the Far East, clerks with an abacus can do quicker calculations than the average Joe with and electronic calculator.

TOO