PDA

View Full Version : Did you learn much about yourself from flying?

Penguina
3rd Aug 2002, 12:47
Just wondered, because people say you do, but I didn't really.

Lots of things were confirmed that I already knew: over-passive and underconfident sometimes, but with a deep-seated belief that I can do anything I want underneath; that I set myself very high standards; that I'm normally quite efficient (and anal!) but when I lose the plot, it all goes horribly wrong; a love of feeling important! Oh, and impatience and not liking bad weather.

These were the kinds of things that got me started on flying in the first place, after all.

Whirlybird
3rd Aug 2002, 13:14
Yes, actually...and I didn't like it!

I learned that I found it hard to cope when things were going badly. That I wasn't used to finding things difficult, and didn't know quite what to do. A friend who'd known me for years, who knew me well enough to say what I needed to hear rather than what I wanted to hear, gave it to me straight. She said I was experiencing what most people did when trying to learn something new, and the only reason I took it so hard was because things in life had always been easy for me. She told me I was to stop moaning and try harder, and that finding it so difficult was probably the best thing that had ever happened to me.

She was right - but it took me a long while to realise it.

Saab Dastard
3rd Aug 2002, 13:24
Penguina,

Yes - I learnt that I don't earn nearly as much as I would like! ;)

SD

iainpoll
3rd Aug 2002, 14:16
I learned that I was over sensitive to criticism, and that I was less patient than I thought. I also learned that if I put the effort in I can achieve my goals!

paulo
3rd Aug 2002, 20:29
If you're good at something (which, whatever it is, is probably what is paying for the flying), it's difficult to accept starting at the bottom.

So, I learnt (eventually) to be humble again.

Also learnt to crack some barriers. My most recent was downlines.

Whether you're an R22 weekender, a Sunday looper, or just a 152 putt-putt circuit basher. How much does your mind engage in way it never does elsewhere in life?

There's not many **** ups in your life that will end it quite so suddenly as aviation. Apart from ruinous hard drugs, I can't think of anything that could focus the mind on an exhilirating but possibly deadly excursion so much as recreational aviation.

"OK. Good. I think I've got everything right. Hey! I'll probably even make it back."

And off you go.

So, as a crap answer... having faith in yourself. Not much choice is there?

Penguina
4th Aug 2002, 13:46
Everyone seems to have learned that we didn't begin with as much humility or patience as we needed and that we can concentrate when we have to! Interesting...

kabz
5th Aug 2002, 14:02
I learnt that I needed more patience. I already had the perseverance, so that helped.

One thing to note, is that learning to fly, just with an instructor, rather than part of a class, makes life much much harder, as you are generally your own harshest critic, and having a bunch of other people also struggling would make you feel a lot better about your (my) own pitiful efforts .... so I've heard.

Have a good attitude, and keep smiling and barriers will fall before you !!!

QDMQDMQDM
5th Aug 2002, 14:23
What did I learn? That I enjoy converting vast amounts of money into hydrocarbon combustion residues in the dogged pursuit of personal pleasure.

QDM

FlyFreeWbe
5th Aug 2002, 19:22
whatever the time of day
whatever the actual
whatever the amount of C152's or Tigermoths in circuit
whatever the wind speed or direction
whatever the attitude of the control freq in the tower
...I've learned that my "6th sense" on whether it's going to be a good flight or not, is definately reliable. I guess I'm good at that...:confused:

6th Aug 2002, 07:44
That it is a potent drug and I am now seriously addicted. That if I do not get a fix at least once a week, then I am not as "fulfilled" as I could be. That after a good X-C, with a land-away and a wonderfully soft landing, that I have an "after glow" as if I have just had sex ... or am I very very very sad??

Hersham Boy
6th Aug 2002, 08:14
I certainly had a couple of things confirmed:

Getting it 80% right only takes 20% effort. Unlike preparing a presentation, in flying you need to be more like 100%, unfortunately!

I always walk into an exam thinking I know nothing and come out witha decent result. Years of school, university, post-grad study and now flying groundschool doesn't seem to have helped me see the pattern emerging. :)

Hersh

Whirlybird
6th Aug 2002, 11:27

Sounds totally normal to me.

Er...are any of us normal? Luckily this is PPRuNe, so we have no-one to tell us we're not.:D

Penguina
6th Aug 2002, 11:35
I was quite shocked the other day when my little sister informed me that I'm a nerd!

Nerd?

ME??

singaporegirl
6th Aug 2002, 13:47
I knew already - but was forcibly reminded - that the combination of impatience and perfectionism is not a good one! :rolleyes:

I also found out who my *real* friends are, ie the ones that actually trust me enough to come up with me now I've actually got my licence! :eek: Still, at least I'll only have to buy two Christmas cards this year...:D

Penguina
6th Aug 2002, 15:32
Laziness & ambition are a worse combination, trust me! :)

BEagle
6th Aug 2002, 20:30
Don't fly after Chicken Jalfreezi the night before!