View Full Version : Is a Swiss PPL non-EASA?

26th Mar 2019, 09:43
Every week a new question caused by EASA. A Swiss PPL wants to fly with us. His licence is definitely ICAO but not marked EASA. However, the format is EASA sized and it even has an EASA form number at the bottom in a very small font. Unsure whether to obey IN-2017/029...............

(I'm aware that Switzerland is not in Europe although they're practically in the middle of it)

26th Mar 2019, 09:53
They joined EASA in November 2006, so if the PPL was issued after that date, it may be an EASA one. If it is not stated on the license, then it is most likely a Swiss national license, which can be converted to an EASA one: https://www.bazl.admin.ch/licences

27th Mar 2019, 08:56
ICAO licence as per ORS4 no.1228 (http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?catid=1&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=7948&filter=2).
For Annex I aircraft as per Article 150 . Even the latest ANO change has not picked up the change from Annex II to Annex I

27th Mar 2019, 10:04
Even the latest ANO change has not picked up the change from Annex II to Annex IOh, come on Whopity, be fair, it only happened 6 months ago. This is the UK CAA we're talking about.

27th Mar 2019, 10:45
Thanks Whopity, but just to be clear:

ORS4 no.1228 appears to be just for FAA licence holders. I should therefore use IN-2017/029 (if he ever comes back).

27th Mar 2019, 12:35
I copied that from the CAA website expecting it to be the correct doccument. There are seperate forms to fill in for FAA ICAO and other ICAO licences. The ORS4s were 1220 and 1221 but they have disappeared
For non FAA ICAO complete form SRG2142 (http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG2142Issue02Enabled.pdf)
ICAO Declaration for 28 days per calendar year for 3rd country licence holder (https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Pilot-licences/ICAO-third-country-licences/Recognition-of-ICAO-third-country-licences-in-UK-airspace/#4294992428-accordioncollapse-2)

This declaration allows the holder to fly for a maximum of 28 days per year. If you come to the UK every year and wish to fly for pleasure, you will have to follow this process every year.

Be in current flying practice on the class or type of aircraft you wish to fly in UK airspace- an acclimatisation flight must be conducted
Purely flying for pleasure, private flying, no remuneration, no Part-NCC aircraft (complex motor-powered aircraft), no instruction or examination
Meet the requirements of, complete and submit forms SRG2141 (https://www.caa.co.uk/srg2141) and SRG2142 (https://www.caa.co.uk/srg2142). There is a fee associated with SRG2142, more information can be found in the hyperlinks at the bottom of this page

You must retain the declaration you have made to the CAA. Once you have received email confirmation from the CAA, you can fly in UK airspace. Please note the expiry date of your declaration is stated on your confirmation email from the CAA.The declaration cannot be renewed. You will need to re-apply should your declaration expire before the BASA agreement is finalised.From April 2019, the applicant's acclimatisation flight must be conducted by a UK examiner.