PDA

View Full Version : A320 Gear Retraction

slate100
22nd Mar 2019, 09:21
The A320 won't let you extend the gear above 250 knots thanks to the safety valve which cuts off the hydraulic supply when above this speed.

But what about raising the gear? Other than the Captain yelling at you, Is there a protection in place to ensure you don't accidentally try raising the gear above VLO (220 knots)?

EGPFlyer
22nd Mar 2019, 11:31
Gear operation is restricted above 260 kts. There’s no protection at all below this speed for retracting the gear

Smythe
24th Mar 2019, 16:56
Only minimum protection is weight on wheels!

Rick777
25th Mar 2019, 02:00
I did it once. Had a gear fire warning on climb out so we lowered the gear per ECAM. The warning went away when the hot brakes cooled off. We forgot to slow down to retract the gear. Nothing bad happened.

EcamSurprise
25th Mar 2019, 22:22
I did it once. Had a gear fire warning on climb out so we lowered the gear per ECAM. The warning went away when the hot brakes cooled off. We forgot to slow down to retract the gear. Nothing bad happened.

Gear fire warning? A320?

Feather44
26th Mar 2019, 03:15
Yep, that's an Ecam surprise.

pineteam
26th Mar 2019, 07:30
Yep, that's an Ecam surprise.

We don’t have that Ecam on our fleet according to our FCOM. Optional feature?

vilas
26th Mar 2019, 13:45
Optional feature? There is no such warning in A320. There's only Brakes hot ECAM. That's why you practice EMERGENCY EVACUATION in simulator Gear on fire comes from ATC not ECAM.

FlightDetent
27th Mar 2019, 10:59
If Rick is 71 y.o. as per his profile, and having had flown the T7 that has the FW for gear bay,
gents, we quietly salute his willingness to share battle stories and do not get twitchy about nomenclature. Of course, he means Brakes HOT ECAM which has no advisory line about observing the max retract speed.

While pilots should know the LIM by heart and observe them at all times under NOR and ABN alike, truth be told: Big data FOQA/FDM/QAR show that in the above case the average pilot has 25% probability to bust the speed. The only remedy is if it had happened recently to somebody you know. Otherwise, when out of the blue in complex airspace, it would be really nice to have that line displayed alongside the warning. So thanks to Rick for sharing.

Rocket3837
3rd Apr 2019, 11:22
I remember retracting the gears at speeds above 220 in more than one sim in the past and they did not retract until SPD is reduced below 220 kt.....
The real plane might behave differently in this respect...

pineteam
3rd Apr 2019, 11:42
I remember retracting the gears at speeds above 220 in more than one sim in the past and they did not retract until SPD is reduced below 220 kt.....
The real plane might behave differently in this respect...

They definitely retract above 220kt. We had a case like 9 months ago.

Rocket3837
3rd Apr 2019, 12:22
My collegue tried it just now and said that nose gear did not retract but the main gears did.... SPD 250 kts

vilas
3rd Apr 2019, 13:32
I think there's a misunderstanding between speed limits and safety valve speed inhibition. Beyond 260kt the safety valve cuts off the hydraulics. So it doesn't work. Other speeds are limits which are not to be exceeded but the operation is not inhibited. Normally they are tested beyond those speeds but reliability of operation cannot be guaranteed. It may, may not or partly operate. Repeated exceedance will surely cause damage.

FlightDetent
4th Apr 2019, 04:00
That's cool, pun intended. Great!

krismiler
4th Apr 2019, 08:19
Pilots have forgotten to raise the gear after take off and when they realise it, they instantly go for the undercarriage lever without first checking speed. Normally 250 kts is the climb speed and whilst the aircraft can be flown gear down at this speed, its 30 kts above reatraction limit. If you ever find yourself in this situation, overcome the knee jerk reaction to raise the gear and pull speed, slow down and then retract. You will probably get a call from the safety department as retraction height is monitored but at least you won't damage anything.