PDA

View Full Version : 8.33 VHF Comms Radios.

magpienja
11th Mar 2019, 23:47
Just a question out of curiosity.

I am a NPPL pilot...but stopped flying just before the introduction of 8.33 radios.

Just wondering...have there been many operational problems related to the introduction of the 8.33 radios?

In the months before I hung up my headset there was lots of confusion when I chatted to other pilots on the subject.

ShyTorque
12th Mar 2019, 01:35
There is some ongoing confusion about which stations have changed frequencies and which haven’t. Doncaster being one of them.

Sywell changed but they couldn’t be heard at all well on the new frequency with background interference - but heard far better on the old one! Now resolved.

I don’t like the extra heads in time it takes to redial a frequency. I used to do it heads out by counting clicks but seldom get an 8.33 frequency correct without looking at the indication.

Jim59
12th Mar 2019, 10:10
Sywell changed but they couldn’t be heard at all well on the new frequency with background interference - but heard far better on the old one! Now resolved.

I don't think Sywell has changed frequency. It was on the 25 kHz bandwidth frequency of 122.700 and changed to the 8.33 bandwidth channel 122.705 which is still on a frequency of 122.700 - only the bandwidth changed.