PDA

View Full Version : FOD in the Hull

b1lanc
1st Mar 2019, 16:43
This is a disturbing report. Though centered on the KC-46, the last portion of the article documents impact to 747, 767, and 777 programs. I would hope that the commercial side of the house isn't as sloppy.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/boeing-aerospace/boeing-tanker-jets-grounded-due-to-tools-and-debris-left-during-manufacturing/

oceancrosser
1st Mar 2019, 20:24
You can add the 737 to that list. I know that a wing had to be removed from a Max being built as a tool had been left in between when the wing was fitted and therefore could not be properly attached. Go figure.

ironbutt57
1st Mar 2019, 22:40
it happens to all of them, Emirates had an A-380 experiencing some strange electrical events early on during their arrival at the airline, tuned out to be some tool bouncing around in an electrical bay, I had a brand new A320 with some sort of shredded paperish stuff coming out of the vents around the CB panels on the rear cockpit walls, turned out to be some mis-installed insulation, and whatever tool used to install it..nice to see on million dollar machines

tdracer
1st Mar 2019, 22:56
Boeing Commercial has some pretty robust safeguards to prevent tools and the like from being left behind. Strict restrictions and procedures for personally owned tools, check out and return procedures for tool crib stuff, etc.
I wonder if in their rush to set up the Everett Mod Center (where the 767-2C gets turned into a KC-46), the military side neglected to implement those same safeguards.

b1lanc
1st Mar 2019, 23:31
Boeing Commercial has some pretty robust safeguards to prevent tools and the like from being left behind. Strict restrictions and procedures for personally owned tools, check out and return procedures for tool crib stuff, etc.
I wonder if in their rush to set up the Everett Mod Center (where the 767-2C gets turned into a KC-46), the military side neglected to implement those same safeguards.

If true, bad on Boeing. Delay after delay doesn't help either (not blaming Boeing necessarily - I know how the AF requirements process works and why it takes 15 years or more to get a semi-reliable airframe operational).

megan
1st Mar 2019, 23:59
Our outfit had a bucking bar found in the wing of a Grumman Tracker, hadn't caused any problems, been there since new build.

b1lanc
2nd Mar 2019, 02:23
Our outfit had a bucking bar found in the wing of a Grumman Tracker, hadn't caused any problems, been there since new build.
Maybe some less electronics in the wing in the Tracker? Jamming is one thing, shorts are another.

Geosync
5th Mar 2019, 01:07
It happens. I'm a claims adjuster and I've seen tools left in engines, inside bearings and the closed off during assembly. As a mechanic I've seen poor QA where outflow valves were left capped off and somehow we're delivered to the customer. As a satellite technician I saw buddies accidentally leave tools inside during vibration testing, and tools that were never found and assumed launched into space with the craft. Humans, go figure.

Airbubba
5th Mar 2019, 01:50
Maybe that's where the A&P tradition of not putting your name on your tools comes from.

Standby Scum
5th Mar 2019, 12:18
A BOAC tea spoon was allegedly found in an RAF Nimrod.

Pilot DAR
5th Mar 2019, 14:27
I used to hear a screwdriver rattling around in the wing of my Cessna, but after several searches could not see it. One day, following some pleasing chandelles, I took the wingtip off, and sure enough, there it was. It belonged to "Hitch". He lost it, I still have it.

Years ago I brokered the sale of a friend's Piper Arrow. I took the owner to be to meet my boss at the time, who maintained the plane, perhaps to continue the maintenance in the same shop with the new owner. As the owner wandered to the other side of the plane to admire his new toy, my boss desperately whispered to me: "I'll pay you overtime, I need you to remove the wing tank, I left my flashlight behind it years ago, and have been promising myself to remove it, but have never taken the time to take the wing tank out (it is a big job). I can't afford to have the plane go to another shop and have it found there, my name is on the flashlight.". I pondered an overnighter doing this task. I had a look around the wing, including the landing gear bay. There was an inspection panel inside the bay, I removed it, and within easy reach, was the flashlight. I replaced the inspection panel. My boss was now having a pleasant chat with the owner to be at the other wing, and I walked over. "Oh, by the way Rick, I found your flashlight, here it is.". He had a very shocked and puzzled look on his face!

These are not the only tools I have found in airplanes, or cars back from the shop, for that matter....

ktcanuck
5th Mar 2019, 15:09
Have things changed? As an engineer at Hawkers in Kingston/Dunsfold all techs had a board which held any and all tools that could be used, each tool being marked with a white outline. No tool was ever left unfound. They also used to rotate a Harrier fuselage at night to listen for loose items.

BluSdUp
5th Mar 2019, 16:07
In 1994 ca June we did our 6 month calibration run with the Danish Calibration team after picking them up in CPH.
We launched for Færøyane and did Vagar , a rather un-orthodox field.
On our way to East Greenland Cpt Bjørn was not happy with the AP dropping out and the trim sticking at times,so I got to fly more then my share, Happy Days I thought.
As we refueled and checked a engine needle that had said goodnight , the Engineer showed up with an electric motor , exclaiming :" Here is Your problem Boys"
" That is the biggest Torque Indicator I ever save" I blurted out!*
Turned out it was a elevator trim motor, 3 kilo plus , that had been replaced , but left loose in the tail just before departure some 4 days ago.

Vagar, were, we came from is so turbulent at times of strong wind it flipped a Danish G4 on final , a few years later.
Not sure what that loose Trim motor would have done if hitting turbulence,,,,,,,,,
My admiration for Engineers took a hit that day.
With all due respect, I always take my time on the walk around after Maintenance.
What goes on behind closed hatches , is another thing. Eh!
Regatds
Cpt B