PDA

View Full Version : Do you need PPL to become an ATC

bmtsurin
27th Feb 2019, 11:16
So people were telling me, for both Hong Kong and Australia these days to become eligible for an air traffic controller you need to pass all PPL tests/acquire a ppl?
If that's what I have to do to pursue things I won't stop there but just wondering if it's an actually legitimate that you need PPL

Awol57
27th Feb 2019, 11:29
No.

But it doesn't hurt.

IsDon01
27th Feb 2019, 20:00
It should be essential.

CaptainMidnight
27th Feb 2019, 20:21
these days to become eligible for an air traffic controller you need to pass all PPL tests/acquire a ppl?
After passing the initial testing and evaluation stage, it would enhance your chances of selection if you had a demonstrated interest e.g. a PPL or pass in their subjects. FWIW the ATC course includes subjects equivalent to CPL standard.

This forum is for Airline and RPT matters, so it would be best to continue posting in your thread enquiring about ATC recruitment on the GA & Questions forum.

ClearedIGS
27th Feb 2019, 21:45
As a retired Air Traffic Controller, who has worked in Australia (18 years) and Hong Kong (27 years), I can confirm that a PPL is not a requirement. Also having been an instructor in both places, I can also confirm that it definitely doesn't hurt to have the knowledge that comes from having a PPL. In addition, Hong Kong is one of the only places in the world that gives you the opportunity to do flying training as part of your ATC course.

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
28th Feb 2019, 00:49
It should be essential.
Why?..............

mikk_13
28th Feb 2019, 02:23
what is the pass rate? I heard it was down to 20-30%?

IsDon01
28th Feb 2019, 02:24
Why?..............

Might weed out some of those that think a 787 can hover for a start. A lesson in aerodynamics required right there.

It wasn’t long ago that ATCOs used to jump seat to get an idea what it was like from the other side on the radio. Pretty easy to demonstrate issues with some of Australian ATC if that were still the case. Sadly it’s not any more and we’re all the poorer for it.

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
28th Feb 2019, 09:59
How often have you sat in at an ATC console?

LeadSled
28th Feb 2019, 13:32
How often have you sat in at an ATC console?

Sorry to disappoint, but in years gone by, quite often.
And Qantas mandated it as part of training of new recruits, and encouraged pilots to visit such as the Center in Honolulu, Singapore and (as it was then) the New York IFR Common Room -- to learn about really serious movement rates.
And I remember the days when DCA paid for up to a PPL for ATC recruits who didn't have a PPL, for some reason, in those days, ATC knowing something about practical aircraft operation was regarded as a "good thing".
Tootle pip!!.

Awol57
1st Mar 2019, 01:58
Maybe the question should be reworded. How many times since lets say, 2001 have you sat, plugged in and monitoring, at an ATC position?

I agree it would be great if someone paid all ATCs to get a PPL. Sadly I can't see that happening. I'd settle just for an AFR :)

amberale
1st Mar 2019, 02:20
It used to be a license requirement to fly a famil flight in your area of control once every year(could be extended to 2years) IIRC.
This and other jump seat opportunities were scrapped after 9/11.

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
3rd Mar 2019, 03:23
I was asking IsDon01.