PDA

View Full Version : Retro 747 BOAC

cessnapete
18th Feb 2019, 12:23
Just seen some pics of the repainted 744 at LHR. Isn’t the Union Jack upside down??

Cows getting bigger
18th Feb 2019, 12:29
Looks mighty fine to me.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1280x853/britishairways_21686187638542small_c06634c0399412dfd69690934 9a1f3c6a020b605.jpg

cessnapete
18th Feb 2019, 12:42
You're right, I had the glasses on upside down! I reckon It looks better than the present 'Chatham Dockyard] scheme.

DaveReidUK
18th Feb 2019, 12:59
Just seen some pics of the repainted 744 at LHR. Isn’t the Union Jack upside down??

Were you by any chance looking at the starboard side? :O

At the risk of stating the obvious, when a Union flag is painted on a UK-registered aircraft, it is (or should be) always shown as if the flagpole is forward. So it's flipped left-to-right, not upside down.

Twas ever thus.

cessnapete
18th Feb 2019, 13:10
Yes you are right,I was looking at starboard side. I plead old age!!

Bergerie1
18th Feb 2019, 13:16
The Union flag is a trifle too high. A shame they couldn't get it right, but wonderful to see those colours again, so much better than the current ones.

Lionel Lion
18th Feb 2019, 13:27
Has it got a cheese board?

trident3A
18th Feb 2019, 13:33
I saw this aircraft on approach to Heathrow today - it really looks fantastic such a classy livery

cessnapete
18th Feb 2019, 13:41
Lionel Lion
No!
The cheeseboard was a BEA Nigel thing. Never mentioned in BOAC. Us BOAC chaps never nicked food ,and always ate orf trays with tablecloths, and the cheese course served off the board by a nice young Stdds/Std!!

Bergerie1
18th Feb 2019, 15:09
Have you seen this!
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/pictures-boac-747-retrojet-marks-british-airways-ce-455845/

aloominumtoob
18th Feb 2019, 15:12
Only matelots fly a "Union Jack." (On the jackstaff at the pointy end.) Us others have a Union Flag.
alt

obwan
18th Feb 2019, 15:18
Makes me feel young again

DaveReidUK
18th Feb 2019, 15:25
In order to be truly authentic, it should now sit on the ground for a year before flying any revenue passengers while BALPA argues with management. :O

Vonrichthoffen
18th Feb 2019, 15:49
It's only a ' Union Jack ' when flown on the ' Jackstaff ' of a naval vessel ! I think you mean the ' Union Flag ' !

And I'm Irish FFS !

And yes, it's too high and yes , lovely colour scheme .

nevillestyke
18th Feb 2019, 15:50
Was it doing a loop?

Gove N.T.
18th Feb 2019, 16:32
It's only a ' Union Jack ' when flown on the ' Jackstaff ' of a naval vessel ! I think you mean the ' Union Flag ' !

And I'm Irish FFS !

And yes, it's too high and yes , lovely colour scheme .
There is some debate on the authenticity of whether it’s Union Jack or the Union Flag.
The conclusion is part of a 12 page review by Flagmakers. The result is that both can be used quite properly.
12 pages to determine which is right and they can’t make a decision. Sound like an accountants meeting

Startledgrapefruit
18th Feb 2019, 16:42
Now being from Belfast where we know a thing or two about our glorious flag!!
In my opinion its fine

rog747
18th Feb 2019, 16:52
Has it got a cheese board?

Cheese board and liquors yes very nice - plus 34'' legroom in Y with 2-4-3 abreast (BOAC 1971 747-136)

27 or 36 First Class 42'' legroom armchair seats

Monarch lounge on Upper Deck 16 lounge seats and cocktail bar with steward

315 or 335 Y seats
Fillet steaks served in Y and full hot meals and drinks on all sectors

3 flight deck crew and up to 16 cabin crew

rog747
18th Feb 2019, 16:56
Retro BOAC 747 routes

The kangaroo route was a favourite. It would be a three-week round trip from London to the Middle East – Rome, Bahrain or Tehran – then Bombay, Hong Kong, Singapore or Bangkok before on to Sydney or Melbourne "and sometimes Perth and Darwin" and vice versa.

Working positions on the 747 worked like this. Note this was before equality for women.

Cabin Service Director (always a male) in charge of the aircraft.
Purser First Class (male) in charge up front.
Purser Economy (male in charge 'down the back'
A bird (female) slaved up front and did the PA's.
B bird (female) looked after mums and babies.
C & D (either male or female) worked down the back.
Lounge steward (male) worked up front and looked after the lounge and flight deck.
Steward 1 (male) looked after and cooked the food up front.
Steward 2 (male) looked after and cooked the food down the back.
Bar 'tarts' 1 2 3 & 4 (male or female) worked in the 4 positions down the back selling drinks and duty frees along with renting headsets.

In those days there wasn't club or super club class and first class had 27 or 36 seats. Promotion was usually 'dead man's shoes' and took about 6 years to get from Steward 2 to Steward 1 and another 6 to make Purser.

A Typical 3 week trip from a BOAC steward's diary.

22 Dec 1973 Pax QF760 B707 LHR-ATH-TEH- DEL
23 Dec Asleep
24 Dec Taxi to Agra visit Taj Mahal. Evening Xmas room party with BOAC VC10 crew in the Oberoi plus we invite the Lufthansa 707 crew down the hall to join us for carol singing.Their incredibly young Captain leads them in 'Stille Nacht' (Silent Night) - puts me in mind of the Xmas day truce in WW1
25 Dec The flight we are due to operate diverts to Dum Dum due fog at Delhi airport, we remain in hotel with Xmas lunch provided by BOAC Catering. We are now OFF-SCHEDULE
26 Dec We are told to operate BA812 to HKG. The crew who should have taken that flight are not best pleased as they now have to stay in Delhi OFF-SCHEDULE
27 Dec Evening we Pax on Cathay Convair 880 HKG-KUL-Djakarta-PER.
28 Dec Asleep in the Parmelia. Evening room party plus the Cathay crew
29 Dec PM operate to SYD via MEL (bad turbulence)
30 Dec Bondi
31 Dec Bondi New Years Party on beach
1 Jan 1974 Bondi
2 Jan Bondi Visit Rose Bay and marvel that QF still operate Flying Boats from there (to Lord Howe island?)
3 Jan Operate SYD-HKG
4 Jan Evening operate HKG-BKK
5 Jan R&R in BKK
6 Jan evening operate to BAH
7 Jan Gulf Hotel on standby for diverted flight - no go
8 Jan Due to pax back to LHR on BA743 - but off-loaded so back to the hotel
9 Jan evening repatriation flight to UK on QF Jumbo, but in-flight engine shut down (my second such experience in two months with P&W JT9Ds) and we land in Vienna
10 Jan Lifted back to Blighty on BEA Trident 2 - trip over. £££allowances good

So there you have it -20 days at sea with just 5 flights operated plus 4 pax trips,
but that's how it often was - over forty years ago.

Regarding the upstairs lounge he recalls looking after Sir David Frost back in the days when he commuted to New York for ''that was the week that was''
All he wanted was a plate of smoked salmon and to curl up and go to sleep. On landing he always had strong coffee and orange juice.

RE my anecdotes in this thread about BOAC/BA crew life and lay-overs down route - may I extend the courtesy to Ian Burgess-Barber for his kindness in allowing his memories to be published here.
Best R.

student88
18th Feb 2019, 17:02
In order to be truly authentic, it should now sit on the ground for a year before flying any revenue passengers while BALPA argues with management. :O

Great banter.

rog747
18th Feb 2019, 17:06
Great banter.

Indeed and with all the engines removed, and them leased to other 747 operators due to the problems in surging...

Joejosh999
18th Feb 2019, 17:28
“Flew in from Miami Beach BOAC.....”
Classic ! .....

sitigeltfel
18th Feb 2019, 18:03
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=78CqcbwFeBA

:ok:

golfyankeesierra
18th Feb 2019, 19:54
While I can understand the English getting excited about an old livery (they usually get excited about past times;) ), I as a continental see a bit boring white paintscheme with dark blue striping and a tiny little flag.
Still, I like the idea of retro livery’s and wish more carriers would bother doing that. Well done Speedbird!

OwnNav
18th Feb 2019, 20:10
Thanks for the patronising but it is less English but more BOAC (British Overseas etc)

Mylius
18th Feb 2019, 20:44
Retro BOAC 747 routes

Goodness me. Is that what they used to call Captains back in the day??

WHBM
18th Feb 2019, 20:47
Indeed and with all the engines removed, and them leased to other 747 operators due to the problems in surging...
I remember seeing a couple at Everett in late 1969 with concrete blocks hanging from the engine mounts to maintain the stresses.

In recent times there were a lot of 787s idle at Everett for an extended period, also with blocks instead of engines.

I wondered if they were the same concrete blocks ...

tdracer
19th Feb 2019, 03:27
I remember seeing a couple at Everett in late 1969 with concrete blocks hanging from the engine mounts to maintain the stresses.

In recent times there were a lot of 787s idle at Everett for an extended period, also with blocks instead of engines.

I wondered if they were the same concrete blocks ...

No, they weren't. The 'cement block engines' are specific to the installation, and while less common, they've appeared from time to time on all the various Everett products. Sometimes due to engine shortages, but more often because the aircraft won't be delivered for some time and storing an aircraft with tens of millions worth of engines installed is not cost effective.
Besides, the 787 engines weigh roughly twice what the 747 engines weigh...

treadigraph
19th Feb 2019, 04:16
Interestingly Google Maps has long shown plenty of large Boeings awaiting test/delivery at Everett - the current aerial view shows none! Plenty of 737s at Renton and Paine.

Looking forward to seeing the BOAC scheme, and the BEA one in due course...

Lantern10
19th Feb 2019, 04:43
Well it does look rather elegant with that colour combination.

stilton
19th Feb 2019, 06:32
Was there not at one time, a BOAC livery that incorporated a small ‘speedbird’ where the Union Jack Is on the retro aircraft ?

Could have sworn I saw that once

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
19th Feb 2019, 06:53
A hh nostalgia. Back in the days when those colours were first in use, as one left the runway, the cry would go round the Tower: "Is it left here, London?" because they would fly in so rarely they got a bit confused!!

tdracer
19th Feb 2019, 06:59
Interestingly Google Maps has long shown plenty of large Boeings awaiting test/delivery at Everett - the current aerial view shows none! Plenty of 737s at Renton and Paine.

I can't imagine when that satellite photo might have been taken (assuming it hasn't been altered) - I live just a few miles from the Boeing flight line on Paine Field and there has never been a time when there were not at least a dozen aircraft parked there.
BTW I assume you meant Renton and Boeing Field (737 Delivery Center is at Boeing Field)

Edited to add:
Don't ask me why, but that current Google satellite photo of Paine Field has been altered to remove all the large aircraft, not just on the Boeing flight line - the largest aircraft anywhere in the photo is the DC-3 parked outside Historic Flight Foundation - and that simply isn't possible. The photo appears to be roughly five years old (there are buildings and parking lots built in the last five years that are not in the photo), yet the B-52 that was parked there for 40 years (until last summer when it was disassembled and trucked down to the Seattle Museum of Flight) is no where to be seen. The 727 that's been parked outside the Museum of Flight Restoration Center for several years is also missing.
Weird...

treadigraph
19th Feb 2019, 08:14
Sorry, yes, Boeing Field. Faulty memory ! I assumed the images had been altered but I can't imagine why. Look at Bing and there are perhaps forty or fifty large airframes on the airfield... Curious!

rcsa
19th Feb 2019, 11:01
While I can understand the English getting excited about an old livery (they usually get excited about past times;) ), I as a continental see a bit boring white paintscheme with dark blue striping and a tiny little flag.
Still, I like the idea of retro livery’s and wish more carriers would bother doing that. Well done Speedbird!

Air France did the same for their 75th anniversary in 2013 (?)

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1466x834/af_a_319_9e3e697c96d4bbb77da0e5516cc61561af79c6ce.jpg

AndoniP
19th Feb 2019, 11:53
Was there not at one time, a BOAC livery that incorporated a small ‘speedbird’ where the Union Jack Is on the retro aircraft ?

Could have sworn I saw that once

I think you're talking about the hybrid BOAC / Negus livery as BA was being formed.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1000x600/4635_032l_65829543fcd95d43b97dea35e03ef52390b5d716.jpg

stilton
19th Feb 2019, 13:01
I think you're talking about the hybrid BOAC / Negus livery as BA was being formed.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1000x600/4635_032l_65829543fcd95d43b97dea35e03ef52390b5d716.jpg

Thats it, thanks for that

flash8
19th Feb 2019, 17:54
Or the opposite way around!

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1000x600/4635_430l_755a854cc1e0db53fefe18acbf9fb91c60861aa2.jpg

red.sky@night
19th Feb 2019, 18:17
Totally retro :

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1600x1067/speedbird_947a843a8b46bba5ed874f23459a6f2871183a04.jpg
With thanks to Niall Moran

Peter47
22nd Feb 2019, 12:53
Retro BOAC 747 routes

The kangaroo route was a favourite. It would be a three-week round trip from London to the Middle East – Rome, Bahrain or Tehran – then Bombay, Hong Kong, Singapore or Bangkok before on to Sydney or Melbourne "and sometimes Perth and Darwin" and vice versa.

Working positions on the 747 worked like this. Note this was before equality for women.

Purser First Class (male) in charge up front.
Purser Economy (male in charge 'down the back'
A bird (female) slaved up front and did the PA's.
B bird (female) looked after mums and babies.
C & D (either male or female) worked down the back.
Lounge steward (male) worked up front and looked after the lounge and flight deck.
Steward 1 (male) looked after and cooked the food up front.
Steward 2 (male) looked after and cooked the food down the back.
Bar 'tarts' 1 2 3 & 4 (male or female) worked in the 4 positions down the back selling drinks and duty frees along with renting headsets.

In those days there wasn't club or super club class and first class had 27 or 36 seats. Promotion was usually 'dead man's shoes' and took about 6 years to get from Steward 2 to Steward 1 and another 6 to make Purser.

A Typical 3 week trip from a BOAC steward's diary.

22 Dec 1973 Pax QF760 B707 LHR-ATH-TEH- DEL
23 Dec Asleep
24 Dec Taxi to Agra visit Taj Mahal. Evening Xmas room party with BOAC VC10 crew in the Oberoi plus we invite the Lufthansa 707 crew down the hall to join us for carol singing.Their incredibly young Captain leads them in 'Stille Nacht' (Silent Night) - puts me in mind of the Xmas day truce in WW1
25 Dec The flight we are due to operate diverts to Dum Dum due fog at Delhi airport, we remain in hotel with Xmas lunch provided by BOAC Catering. We are now OFF-SCHEDULE
26 Dec We are told to operate BA812 to HKG. The crew who should have taken that flight are not best pleased as they now have to stay in Delhi OFF-SCHEDULE
27 Dec Evening we Pax on Cathay Convair 880 HKG-KUL-Djakarta-PER.
28 Dec Asleep in the Parmelia. Evening room party plus the Cathay crew
29 Dec PM operate to SYD via MEL (bad turbulence)
30 Dec Bondi
31 Dec Bondi New Years Party on beach
1 Jan 1974 Bondi
2 Jan Bondi Visit Rose Bay and marvel that QF still operate Flying Boats from there (to Lord Howe island?)
3 Jan Operate SYD-HKG
4 Jan Evening operate HKG-BKK
5 Jan R&R in BKK
6 Jan evening operate to BAH
7 Jan Gulf Hotel on standby for diverted flight - no go
8 Jan Due to pax back to LHR on BA743 - but off-loaded so back to the hotel
9 Jan evening repatriation flight to UK on QF Jumbo, but in-flight engine shut down (my second such experience in two months with P&W JT9Ds) and we land in Vienna

So there you have it -20 days at sea with just 5 flights operated plus 4 pax trips,
but that's how it often was - over forty years ago.

Regarding the upstairs lounge he recalls looking after Sir David Frost back in the days when he commuted to New York for ''that was the week that was''
All he wanted was a plate of smoked salmon and to curl up and go to sleep. On landing he always had strong coffee and orange juice.

As a matter of interest was the level of deadheading common throughout the network or only certain routes? And what proportion of time was spent off-schedule? I presume that a lot positioning was required to cope with diversions and delays which were probably more common back then.

Also roughly how many nights away from home did cabin crew spend each year in thew 70s. I suspect that crews don't spend any longer away these days but fly many more productive hours.

Also a question for BEA (Back Every Night) crews. Looking at the schedules there appears to be far less overnighting at back stations back then. Did BEA cabin crews spend many nights away. (I believe that pilots flying Internal German Services would have stayed away more but most of the CC were locals.)

cessnapete
22nd Feb 2019, 16:13
As a matter of interest was the level of deadheading common throughout the network or only certain routes? And what proportion of time was spent off-schedule? I presume that a lot positioning was required to cope with diversions and delays which were probably more common back then.

Also roughly how many nights away from home did cabin crew spend each year in thew 70s. I suspect that crews don't spend any longer away these days but fly many more productive hours.

Also a question for BEA (Back Every Night) crews. Looking at the schedules there appears to be far less overnighting at back stations back then. Did BEA cabin crews spend many nights away. (I believe that pilots flying Internal German Services would have stayed away more but most of the CC were locals.)

Another memory of early BOAC 747 -136 introduction. The short Conversion course necessary to get the aircraft into service promptly. A very "need to know" tech course, compared to my previous VC10 course, after which I reckon I could build one. ie The 747 has four engines, they're under the wing, started like this ,stopped like this , if it catches fire do this....end of.
Base training at Shannon, no ZFT Sims. 21 landings, including a run over the sea off, and below, the Cliffs of Moher.
One four sector Route Training trip (JFK BDA JFK, Route Check back to LHR) and on the next trip, supervising another pilot on his first trip. We were either all aces, or perhaps more likely, the 747 was so so easy to operate!
Although, for the first year or so we became very adept at engine out landings due to the ongoing JT9 surge problems.

Bergerie1
22nd Feb 2019, 16:35
Was that run over the sea below the height of the Cliffs of Moher with Bob Knights by any chance?

Two's in
22nd Feb 2019, 17:11
Only matelots fly a "Union Jack." (On the jackstaff at the pointy end.) Us others have a Union Flag.
altSemantic change (also semantic shift, semantic progression, semantic development, or semantic drift) is a form of language change regarding the evolution of word usage—usually to the point that the modern meaning is radically different from the original usage. In diachronic (or historical) linguistics, semantic change is a change in one of the meanings of a word. Every word has a variety of senses and connotations, which can be added, removed, or altered over time, often to the extent that cognates across space and time have very different meanings. The study of semantic change can be seen as part of etymology, onomasiology, semasiology, and semantics.

MichaelKPIT
22nd Feb 2019, 18:20
Looks like the A319 is the next one to get the retro livery, and in the Red Square BEA colors: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/pictures-bea-a319-to-be-next-british-airways-retroj-456026/

DaveReidUK
22nd Feb 2019, 18:38
Looks like the A319 is the next one to get the retro livery, and in the Red Square BEA colors: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/pictures-bea-a319-to-be-next-british-airways-retroj-456026/

Should be rolled out in the next week or so. I'm really looking forward to this one, too.

cessnapete
22nd Feb 2019, 19:48
Was that run over the sea below the height of the Cliffs of Moher with Bob Knights by any chance?

Yes he was quite good at it, he had lots of practice during the Dambuster raids!!

RB Thruster
22nd Feb 2019, 20:03
Great to see these anniversary colour schemes, but the RB211 powered 747 makes it even better :D

Private jet
22nd Feb 2019, 20:04
Totally retro :

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1600x1067/speedbird_947a843a8b46bba5ed874f23459a6f2871183a04.jpg
With thanks to Niall Moran

That looks nice. My late father was a flight engineer on the 136's when they were painted like that. To be honest though he always prefered the 707, to the point where he eventually bid back to the -336. Small fleets in big airlines, the best place to be.

eckhard
22nd Feb 2019, 20:11
Should be rolled out in the next week or so. I'm really looking forward to this one, too.

Unfortunately without red upper wing surfaces. Not sure about the lower surfaces. Something to do with reflectivity.......

Still, the side view will look great!

BEA 71
22nd Feb 2019, 20:15

Internal German Services pilots operated a flight from LHR into Germany, for instance Duesseldorf, the flight then continued as a IGS flight to Berlin. Same on return to LHR after flying Internal German Services for a week. The pilots loved their " German Tour ", accomodation was excellent, and the allowances plenty. Some were so lucky to have private accomodation in Berlin, the so called " Home Sleepers ". Those were the good old days. IGS cabin crew were all based in Berlin with a German contract,
i.e. cabin crew inbound from LHR would nightstop at the first German destination, then IGS cabin crew took over. Vice versa. This rule was very strictly observed.

The Many Tentacles
22nd Feb 2019, 20:18
Flew back in this from JFK on Tuesday evening. There was a lot of BA staff coming for a look before they flew back before our crew pitched up.

I think it looks great

DaveReidUK
22nd Feb 2019, 20:28
Unfortunately without red upper wing surfaces. Not sure about the lower surfaces. Something to do with reflectivity.......
Still, the side view will look great!
Yes, that's a shame, but Flight is reporting that the undersides of the wings will indeed be red, so the photographers will be pleased, if not the passengers.

MichaelKPIT
22nd Feb 2019, 21:25
Me too. But I think my favorite is going to be the Landor 747. To me it always looked like that aircraft was designed specifically to wear those colours!

rog747
25th Feb 2019, 14:12
RE my anecdotes in this thread about BOAC/BA crew life and lay-overs down route - may I extend the courtesy to Ian Burgess-Barber for his kindness in allowing his memories to be published here.
Best R.

WHBM
25th Feb 2019, 20:04
Internal German Services pilots operated a flight from LHR into Germany, for instance Duesseldorf, the flight then continued as a IGS flight to Berlin. Same on return to LHR after flying Internal German Services for a week..
I believed that many of the pilots on the IGS were from Manchester base. The Super One-Elevens which operated the flights there for their last quarter century, which pretty much aligned with the aircraft's total lifespan with BEA and BA, were based at Manchester, but almost half the aircraft's flying hours were spent over in Germany. Towards the end of the IGS a small group of BA HS748s was set up there as well, to get some minor routes going; presumably these would have Glasgow base crews.

bunk exceeder
26th Feb 2019, 20:01
For the last few years, 1-11’s did shuttle back up at LHR. A lucrative gig. And LHR 737 did IGS with ATP’s doing whatever they did. The 0545 something while the 737 guys were stumbling home from George’s Bar. Reunification ruined it but per diem would have achieved the same thing. Now what about the SYD posting?

bunk exceeder
26th Feb 2019, 20:19
And a CSD once told me about a BOAC trip on, I can’t remember, either the 707 or VC-10 which was an around the world job. West through LAX, HNL, Fiji for quite some time, and AKL, SYD, whatever. Lasted about a month. And known as trip 503 or something, which only matters because she referred to the “503 divorce” when people had to split up at the end of those trips having become, well, familiar. I noticed the “503 divorce” thing mentioned a few times once I knew what it was.

BEA 71
27th Feb 2019, 11:32
I believed that many of the pilots on the IGS were from Manchester base. The Super One-Elevens which operated the flights there for their last quarter century, which pretty much aligned with the aircraft's total lifespan with BEA and BA, were based at Manchester, but almost half the aircraft's flying hours were spent over in Germany. Towards the end of the IGS a small group of BA HS748s was set up there as well, to get some minor routes going; presumably these would have Glasgow base crews.

You are absolutely right. Most of the pilots used to fly Viscount before converting on to Super-One-Eleven- same, at a later date, on to B 737. Those feeding into IGS always came from LHR, never from Manchester. Which does not mean crew weren´t based there. BAe 748 and ATP pilots were all from Highlands Division, they were feeding in via Bremen, Hanover, and Muenster/Osnabrueck, same going back. At the latter it also meant a aircraft change, a inbound aircraft coming from maintenance at Glasgow, the outbound aircraft going for maintenance at GLA. Both flights operated via Manchester. There was a cabin crew change at Muenster/Osnabrueck, the routing for the flight was Berlin-Muenster/Osnabrueck- Manchester-Glasgow, v.v. Every Sunday afternoon. The flight via Hanover was at times used for connections via MAN,
i.e. operating Berlin-Hanover-Manchester, then onto a 747 Service to JFK. The first two sectors took almost as long as the flight to JFK.

The reason, why BA introduced turboprops, was capacity on the Berlin-Muenster/Osnabrueck flights. With the introduction of B 737 on IGS, it was impossible to fill the aircraft and make a profit. As there was no other aircraft available to meet the demand, Highland´s 748s were choosen, later ATP. The alternative would have been to drop the service. Ironically the IGS flights had to be given up after re-unification, at a time, when the route was profitable. With 64 seats the ATP was the perfect aircraft for these routes.

The One-Eleven was operated for some more years, the last one I saw, was at Leipzig in September 1990, when it was flying the last trade fair flights.

BEA 71
27th Feb 2019, 23:43
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1316/748_atp_ops_2e72e3ca38b76270635ca8581f1fbc2cfd93030d.jpg

IGS Services - BAe 748 and ATP. Bottom right photo shows the Sunday aircraft change, inbound GLA-MAN-FMO and outbound FMO-MAN-GLA aircraft.

crewmeal
28th Feb 2019, 05:28
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/504x412/1930053_18475916047_4285_n_e32703fcee68546caf09c5d98a2c0c449 c7c2e7f.jpg
First Class Hors d'oeuvre trolley. Set up on a classic 747.

WHBM
28th Feb 2019, 07:18
Just curious how did it work for pay in those times with such disorganisation to plan. Was it all just for basic salary, and you just had to accept what was needed ? Was Sector pay significant, and was it therefore a loss if your planned sectors were cancelled ?

Was uniform compulsory on positioning ? I recall a BA 747 LHR-LAX where an MEA full crew were positioning from Beirut to Santa Barbara to pick up a 707 which had had the Q engine modifications done there, four quite beefy blokes very squashed into a 4-seat middle at the back of Y, and looking decidedly travel-weary and uniform-crumpled by arrival in LAX. They also repeatedly got mistaken for BA crew by passing pax, and plied with irrelevant questions, which the skipper handled very patiently (including mine about the Q mods).

BEA 71
28th Feb 2019, 07:58
Just curious how did it work for pay in those times with such disorganisation to plan. Was it all just for basic salary, and you just had to accept what was needed ? Was Sector pay significant, and was it therefore a loss if your planned sectors were cancelled ?

Was uniform compulsory on positioning ? I recall a BA 747 LHR-LAX where an MEA full crew were positioning from Beirut to Santa Barbara to pick up a 707 which had had the Q engine modifications done there, four quite beefy blokes very squashed into a 4-seat middle at the back of Y, and looking decidedly travel-weary and uniform-crumpled by arrival in LAX. They also repeatedly got mistaken for BA crew by passing pax, and plied with irrelevant questions, which the skipper handled very patiently (including mine about the Q mods).

Allowances were a important part of the income. The basic pay might have been low, but this was compensated by the allowances, which were generously paid. In the early days in cash. Later, those, staying overnight, were paid cash allowances at the hotel. The benefit for the crew member was payment in local currency, which could be exchanged in to UKL at the best possible rate. If I remember it right, the allowances were even tax free. With aircraft getting bigger, with more crew to be entiteled to allowances, cash payments were discontinued. This was by agreement with the crews.

er340790
28th Feb 2019, 21:53
BEA (Back Every Night)

AFTERNOON!!! :rolleyes:

KelvinD
1st Mar 2019, 14:10
And now news of another retro job. G-BNLY is to be painted in the BA Landor livery next month.
https://www.facebook.com/76903425829/posts/10158142473835830/

MichaelKPIT
1st Mar 2019, 16:05
And now news of another retro job. G-BNLY is to be painted in the BA Landor livery next month.
https://www.facebook.com/76903425829/posts/10158142473835830/
Yes!! This is the one I'm waiting for!

Discorde
1st Mar 2019, 16:35
An amusement for fans of the Landor livery (or their children, or their grandchildren): Aerocard BA B767 (https://steemrok.com/aerocard/BA%20767%20v2.pdf)

paulc
2nd Mar 2019, 10:05
The BOAC livery 747 is due at heathrow 2.45pm this afternoon from San Fran

cessnapete
3rd Mar 2019, 08:23
Yes!! This is the one I'm waiting for!

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1504/3a060014_dcc3_4fe1_9c13_cd7922bd1a32_ea0c7daff97c693d5fdf963 e06504cd3e078adbb.jpeg
Probably the best of the British Airways titled schemes. An enterprising local camera shop owner would take the above shot of your own approach into the old Kai Tak airport. If you called him from the UK before your departure, he would position himself opposite the famed Chequer Board on the approach to Rwy 13. This shot was of my co-pilot carrying out his first landing into Hkg!

strake
3rd Mar 2019, 09:06

And a CSD once told me about a BOAC trip

Surely, you mean ' a CSO'..or even an SCSO..? :)

DaveReidUK
3rd Mar 2019, 09:12
Margaret Pennywhistle - Cabin Service Director at BOAC (https://www.linkedin.com/in/margaret-pennywhistle-542881a6)

PAXboy
3rd Mar 2019, 22:20
When did Landor end? I'm neither Fore nor Against it.

Stuart Sutcliffe
3rd Mar 2019, 23:27

Well, you are either For or Against it, or Fore and Aft of it - which is it? :O

Skipness One Foxtrot
3rd Mar 2019, 23:30
With the launch of Project Utopia in Jun-97.

treadigraph
4th Mar 2019, 06:40
'YGC left Kuwait a little while ago and is due in at Heathrow at 1250; seems to be a nice day so some may see it in the metal - I expect it'll come in via Lambourne, but if it's via Biggin my head will be out of the window.

G-ARZG
4th Mar 2019, 14:35
"To Fly, To Sell"...these days....

KelvinD
5th Mar 2019, 05:53
Treadi: It did indeed arrive via Lambourne. Sadly, the day was not quite as nice as could have been hoped for but it did at least beat the rain, unlike the day it was delivered from Dublin!

treadigraph
5th Mar 2019, 08:14
Currently inbound Heathrow, just passing Swansea and hopefully heading for the Epsom hold...