PDA

View Full Version : Hour building and what preparation for CPL/IR?

dakersg
1st Aug 2001, 14:59
I am a 93hr PPL with IMC and have just embarked on a ATPL distance learning course (whilst working). I am anticipating to finish the theoretical stuff in 6-9 months time (not done enough to say more precisely yet), at which time I intend do the flying bit full time.

Mean while, I want to try and build up a few hours flying (here in the uk, due to holiday restrictions). Can anyone can give me suggestions as to constructive ways of building up the hours in preparation for CPL/IR/MR (being sensible with expense!)

TooHotToFly
1st Aug 2001, 21:08
Don't use a GPS, be thorough with your navigation planning, update your flight log throughout the flight including ETA's, don't track crawl, choose hard turning points, be strict with your height holding, practice your basic general handling skills, practice your radio nav and if you're flying with someone get them to give you an unplanned diversion.

Snigs
1st Aug 2001, 21:20
And, in addition, try to keep the IMC current, it pays to keep your scan going. I'd advise that you do this with a safety pilot though (you could sweet talk someone for a few sorties). The reason I say this is that I've had an IMC rating for 18 months and not used it very much, I'm now in the middle of my IR training and I realise that my IMC skills were not as good as I thought they were!!

Scan scan scan!!

WGW
1st Aug 2001, 23:28
Carb-Ice

Must bow to your experience - PPL with a mere 65 hours here, but planning on much the same.

From what I can gather, building from PPL to CPL, you should aim to cover the following to bring you up to a total of 150 hours before looking to modular training schools (this from 02FO):

* Min 95 hours P1
* At least one 300 nm x-c, stopping at intermediate airfields
* Min 20 hours x-c flying
* 10 hours night, inc 5 in command, 10 t/o + landings and 2 night flights in command over >= 65 nm to another airfield
* Consider upgrading to complex a/c

Other advice has been as above - navigation, set yourself strict targets of altitude etc, practice manouvres, emergencies, etc.

BMI told me: don't waste time pottering round the sky - do something useful. Practice as much as you can.

Think I'm good for 3 weeks off in Sept, so busy sorting out Oz visa as we speak - damn Code Red slowing everything down. Hope to get in 60 or so hours there, maybe Piper Arrow at £50/hr, then back when the nights close in a bit to get night rating done here, E. Mids or Coventry.

Not sure about IMC - good intro to IR, or better to save your cash to get the necessary done when the time comes?

Also just applied for a credit card at Cahoot.com - 7% APR *standard* rate from what I can gather (though will read the small print when it comes) - better than a career loan it seems, good for 5 or 6 grand for a start...

E-mail me - we should compare notes.

WGW

dakersg
2nd Aug 2001, 17:41
Thanks v.much for the very constructive responses. I'm certainly going to be concentrating on accuracy in my flying, and thorough planning/flight log maintenance. It does all seem to be becoming a bit more second nature with time and experience, which I guess is why the hour requirements are as they are.

I'm intending to get some further IMC practice/training just to ensure it is current (and maybe even improving :) . I guess, as with most things, the more you do, the more 2nd nature things become and hopefully the better pilot you become.

Certainly want to do the night rating over the winter months. Wasn't too sure if complex training would be useful at this stage, or if just building up P1 hours is better (mine seem a bit low at the moment 32hrs). So was thinking of some longer flights, to different airports and in different airspace. Managed 120nm each way recently, through Solent airspace (cheers folks for the friendly ATC), so not much further to go for that CPL x-country. Maybe some X channel sorties (seeing as though its quite close)??

Either way, I suspect I'll have to do some concentrated hour building just prior to starting the CPL. Time and money and all that.

WGW - I know it was a topic of a previous thread, but I think on balance I'd say definitely go for the IMC. Not so much for the flying in bad weather, but I think your flying becomes much more accurate and you as a pilot become more confident/safer knowing you have the back up of radio navigation/instrument approaches if required. And besides, its good fun. Not sure what others opinions are, but I found RANT 2000 a great package for understanding the basic principles RAD NAV, particularly if you have gaps between sessions and you want refresh your memory and practice an exercise before doing the real thing in the air(no substitute for that). I'll drop you an email as you suggested (would be interested in your experience in oz, as I now have a reason to visit there, and somewhere to stay ;) )

Cheers

A and C
3rd Aug 2001, 11:23
All above is good advice keep the IMC work going try the french airfields for practice aproches ,no radar at most of them cheap landings and fuel and UK fuel drawback keep the cost down ,but remember with an IMC the aircraft must be VMC at all times in france so take a safety pilot for when you are under the hood.

Also try some air rallys it will improve your VFR nav no end and is good fun the guernsey rally (mid september)is very good and of course the fuel is ultra cheap in the channel islands who knows you might win a prize but even if you dont you will have a good time.

KATO
3rd Aug 2001, 22:28
My only advice is be able to TRIM,TRIM and be able to TRIM..
Trust me,you need as much spare capacity as possible when doing your IR,let the a/c do the flying,you control it,frees you up for all other stuff you have to do..
Paperwork,radios,nav aids,getting ahead,etc

All the best

--NOT NOW-- null

wysiwyg
4th Aug 2001, 18:16
Whenever you go flying plan as many MATZ penetrations and zone crossings as you can (ATC permitting) so that when it comes to the training your radio work is so polished that you don't have to allocate spare capacity to thinking what to say to the detriment of your handling.