PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know this pilot? Buy him a pint!

Evey_Hammond
8th Feb 2019, 12:29
Awesome TOGA

BA276 at LHR 08/02/19

Captivep
8th Feb 2019, 12:39
Why buy him/her a pint?

Evey_Hammond
8th Feb 2019, 12:47
Why not? Awesome flying skills, yes I know it is trained for, but it isn't a daily occurrence and was very impressive to watch. The comment was meant in appreciation.

rog747
8th Feb 2019, 12:56
BANG!
Ladies and Gentlemen, as you may have just noticed we have arrived at London Heathrow - Oh wait no, no we haven't...

A wild day today all over the UK - Glad I'm not on some tiddler like a Flybe Q400 being flung about

Duchess_Driver
8th Feb 2019, 12:57
All in a days work. Just for one split second I thought they were going to try and rescue it! :=

RedhillPhil
8th Feb 2019, 15:08
I wonder what Leeds/Bradford's like today?

wub
8th Feb 2019, 15:11
Why are such things always described as 'insane'?

dixi188
8th Feb 2019, 15:15
Why is the gear not retracting?
Our call was "Go Around, Flaps, - Positive rate, Gear Up."
Or did they think they might have broken something?

Big Eric
8th Feb 2019, 16:23
Just love Big Jet TV, they seem to have more lamp posts, buses and other rubbish in them than the rest of these awful sites put together!

slingsby
8th Feb 2019, 16:23
Why is the gear not retracting?
Our call was "Go Around, Flaps, - Positive rate, Gear Up."
Or did they think they might have broken something?
No, standard go-around in wind-sheer, maintain positive rate of climb, do not raise landing gear or adjust flaps.

Good video capture (for the pedantic of you) , windshear in the flare, nose down to maintain speed, TOGA, maintain positive climb rate, wait until clear of shear, recover.

GordonR_Cape
8th Feb 2019, 18:50
For those who can't view Twitter videos, there is a version on the BBC homepage: https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-47177383/plane-struggles-to-land-in-strong-winds-at-heathrow-airport

Chesty Morgan
8th Feb 2019, 19:07
Good capture, windshear in the flare, nose down to maintain speed, TOGA, maintain positive climb rate, wait until clear of shear, recover.
Well if that's what they actually did then it's not a good capture at all.

slingsby
8th Feb 2019, 19:51
good capture of the video numpty

Chesty Morgan
8th Feb 2019, 19:53
Too assume that one would have to take the comment completely out of context.

DaveReidUK
8th Feb 2019, 20:35

Well he wrote it, so presumably he knows what he meant. :O

El Bunto
9th Feb 2019, 07:30
Why not? Awesome flying skills, yes I know it is trained for, but it isn't a daily occurrence and was very impressive to watch. The comment was meant in appreciation.

Because he earns > £110k per annum and can well afford his own beer.

Commercial pilots exist in another financial reality to most of the rest of us. Try not to think of them in normal human terms, in my experience they generally don't reciprocate. They merely tolerate us and our limited abilities.

Chesty Morgan
9th Feb 2019, 08:52
Well he wrote it, so presumably he knows what he meant. :O

The whole purpose of writing a post is so other people know what you mean. Or you may as well just keep it to yourself.

Wee Weasley Welshman
9th Feb 2019, 12:42
The only people deserving of a pint are the Boeing undercarriage engineers.

Wee Weasley Welshman
9th Feb 2019, 12:44
I wonder what Leeds/Bradford's like today?

I can confirm that both Glasgow and Bristol were rough as old boots. And with less than half the runway, though perfectly manageable with the correct technique...

Max Angle
9th Feb 2019, 12:50
Commercial pilots exist in another financial reality to most of the rest of us. Try not to think of them in normal human terms, in my experience they generally don't reciprocate. They merely tolerate us and our limited abilities.
So nice to see a well balanced individual, a canyon sized chip on each shoulder!

jimjim1
9th Feb 2019, 12:57
windshear in the flare, nose down to maintain speed, TOGA, maintain positive climb rate, wait until clear of shear, recover.

Thanks. Thanks.
One is not enough for Pprune.

Doors to Automatic
9th Feb 2019, 17:23

Commercial pilots exist in another financial reality to most of the rest of us.

I am guessing that is because you don't have the responsibility of flying 200-300 people a quarter of the way around the world before delivering them back to earth safely in a 60mph gale whilst being leaned on to leave as much fuel on the ground as you dare.

JPJP
9th Feb 2019, 22:03
Well if that's what they actually did then it's not a good capture at all.

I was vaguely puzzled by the “good capture” as well. The elevator moves aircraft nose down, followed by aircraft nose (rapidly) up. Then the timely go around. Perhaps they did leave the gear and flaps alone for wind shear.

Or perhaps they were just having a ‘little moment’ - when all of the normal words don’t come out of your mouth as coolly as they normally might. Because you’ve just had the bejesus scared out of you. As you know - it happens.

overstress
10th Feb 2019, 07:45
Slingsby, I’m fairly sure the 787 technique is not control speed with pitch. It’s not a GA aeroplane.

Pitch for glidepath and thrust controls speed.

But 787 rated pilots won’t be coming on here to check the actions for a windshear go-around :ugh:

DaveReidUK
10th Feb 2019, 09:12
I was vaguely puzzled by the “good capture” as well.

The author of that remark has said it's a reference to the video capture.

It does indeed seem to have captured the event well. Not much scope for puzzlement there.

RedhillPhil
10th Feb 2019, 09:17
Why are such things always described as 'insane'?
It's our cousins from over the other side of the pond with their lack of vocabulary.

777JRM
10th Feb 2019, 09:32

Your comments are offensive. Many pilots are £100k in debt after self-sponsoring at the start of their careers.
Further, it is probably the most ‘checked’ profession on earth (simulators, line-checks, route-checks, medicals, CRCs, etc etc).
Combine that with fatigue from worsening EASA FTLs, and they are worth their £110k, or whatever.

And don’t forget, half of that goes to HMRC.

DaveReidUK
10th Feb 2019, 11:12
It's our cousins from over the other side of the pond with their lack of vocabulary.

Sadly, I don't think "Big Jet TV" can use that excuse.

Chesty Morgan
10th Feb 2019, 11:43
The author of that remark has said it's a reference to the video capture.

It does indeed seem to have captured the event well. Not much scope for puzzlement there.
Not now he's explained his terrible syntax for you.

arketip
10th Feb 2019, 16:07

As you are very strict on correct use of language, can you explain what this means?

Mr Angry from Purley
10th Feb 2019, 16:22
It was me can you send me the money instead? My name is Nigel

DaveReidUK
10th Feb 2019, 17:39

Speak for yourself, I didn't need it explained.

Perhaps for those who did, he might be persuaded to rewrite it in words of one syllable, if asked nicely. :O

Chesty Morgan
10th Feb 2019, 17:49
Course you didn't :rolleyes:

wondrousbitofrough
11th Feb 2019, 01:45
No need to be bitter about it. If you’d worked hard at school, too, you also could be a pilot.

I worked harder, I became an engineer;)

KelvinD
12th Feb 2019, 10:51
I noticed a fair bit of discussion re "flaps up or not?" and it reminded me of a day spent taking pictures of the nice aeroplanes arriving at Heathrow. This was in April last year (5th April in fact). An approaching United 767 aborted his approach a mile or so to the east and went around. It was intriguing to watch as it did the whole grand tour around circuit with his flaps and gear down. Because of the nice gentle speed and relatively low altitude, it was possible to watch its progress around half the circuit and the wheels were never retracted.
This contrasted with the many go arounds I have seen at Heathrow when the wheels are usually retracted while the aircraft is still climbing out on the runway heading.

DaveReidUK
12th Feb 2019, 11:22
I worked harder, I became an engineer

As a former colleague of mine (ex-RAF nav) used to say: anyone who has half a mind to be a pilot, has all the right qualifications.

acbus1
16th Feb 2019, 20:53
Buy him a pint!

Why should I? He didn't land it!

I worked harder, I became an engineer

Depends upon what you mean by 'engineer'. It's a greatly misused word in the UK. No idea how it's used in Oz (although I can hazard a guess).