PDA

View Full Version : ATSB investigation for this?

Cloudee
30th Jan 2019, 08:24
This aircraft appears to have landed with tailwind resulting in overrunning the runway by one metre. No damage to aircraft, no injury. Four months to come up with the report. Is this a waste resources for an organisation that is struggling to get serious reports out on time? I would have thought all that was needed would have been a chat with the chief pilot and a bit of ICUS for the pilot involved.

Runway excursion involving Cessna 207, VH-MIA, East Wallabi Island, WA on 16 September 2018
The aircraft overflew the island and the pilot reported that she observed the windsock was indicating an easterly wind, which was a crosswind for both runways. She decided to join runway 36 on the mid-crosswind leg of the circuit. The pilot reported that she touched down on the runway abeam the taxiway (see Figure 2), which normally gives her enough runway length to stop the aircraft. However, on this occasion, she could not stop the aircraft and overran the runway end by approximately 1 metre (Figure 1). The aircraft was not damaged and there were no injuries to the pilot or passengers.

Lead Balloon
30th Jan 2019, 08:28
Female pilot.

The precautionary principle demands that the authorities presume that female pilots aren’t as competent as males, until the females have proved otherwise. It’s about safety.

Sunfish
30th Jan 2019, 09:46
then what about the SR22 aborted downwind takeoff that I observed last year that did result in an overrun and damage? Where is the ATSB report on that?

oggers
30th Jan 2019, 10:48
I would have thought all that was needed would have been a chat with the chief pilot and a bit of ICUS for the pilot involved.

From the report:

The pilot reported that she touched down on the runway abeam the taxiway which normally gives her enough runway length to stop the aircraft... The pilot reported that the approach and landing appeared normal....The pilot reported that she used the position of the taxiway along the runway as her decision point as to whether she was going to conduct a go-around. As everything felt normal at that stage, she did not conduct a go-around....

The 'taxiway' is halfway down the runway. I would have thought that the operation whose pilot believes a landing half way down a 637m strip is normal, has issues with its training and supervision..

evilducky
30th Jan 2019, 13:01
Meanwhile a Chieftain (on crosshire no less) flown by a less than reputable company has a decent propstrike at Hotham and there’s no investigation :ugh:

vee1-rotate
30th Jan 2019, 15:38
then what about the SR22 aborted downwind takeoff that I observed last year that did result in an overrun and damage? Where is the ATSB report on that?

I'd assume the 207 incident with passengers was a charter and the SR22 was just a leisure flight, so they are going to put more effort in to the charter.

CAVOK92
31st Jan 2019, 02:49
Meanwhile a Chieftain (on crosshire no less) flown by a less than reputable company has a decent propstrike at Hotham than reputable operator and there’s no investigation :ugh:

The issue is ATSB aren’t aware of the incident unless you put a report in. The fact they flew home after said prop strike makes me think one was never submitted.

evilducky
31st Jan 2019, 12:11
The issue is ATSB aren’t aware of the incident unless you put a report in. The fact they flew home after said prop strike makes me think one was never submitted.

It was submitted, it appears in the ATSB summaries as reference number 201805469. The incident summary says:

"During the pre-flight inspection, evidence of a propeller strike from a previous flight was detected."

Report went in, but exactly what it detailed and exactly what happened we'll never know.

machtuk
31st Jan 2019, 17:14
From the report:

The 'taxiway' is halfway down the runway. I would have thought that the operation whose pilot believes a landing half way down a 637m strip is normal, has issues with its training and supervision..

yes that is the disturbing part, one has to wonder about previous training when that is considered 'normal'! Brakes must be cheap! Hate to imagine how many I incidents like this and others occur out there out of sight out of mind that go unreported?

Sunfish
31st Jan 2019, 21:07
Machtuk: Hate to imagine how many I incidents like this and others occur out there out of sight out of mind that go unreported?

...and the poor quality of ATSB reports and the capricious responses of CASA, as evidenced in the Forsyth review, will only increase the unreported numbers. So much for safety.

Two safety lessons from the Sunfish collection that as far as I know were not reported or published as lessons learned:

- Don’t stuff rags or paper in aircraft orifices to temporarily plug them, use bright red approved covers if required.

- Don’t try demonstrating STOL landing techniques by carrying out a touch and go.