PDA

View Full Version : A320 control surface failure

Check Airman
28th Jan 2019, 02:13
Interesting question came up today. What would happen if a single control surface failed? Say a single aileron or elevator failed in the neutral position.

What control law would be active?

How would the handling change? Would the other surfaces move to compensate for the loss so that the feel is the same?

How do other FBW planes deal with this failure?

I couldn't find answers to these specific questions in our manuals.

Thanks as always

Goldenrivett
28th Jan 2019, 08:10
What would happen if a single control surface failed? Say a single aileron or elevator failed in the neutral position.
FCOM DSC-27-20-20
PRO- ABN-F_CTL: Active Control Law Table shows:
with 1 aileron failed - you still remain in Normal Law.

If an Elevator servo is jammed - then Normal Law.
If 1 Elevator is jammed then in Pitch you get ALTN Law with reduced protection, Roll Direct and ALTN Law in Yaw

Check Airman
30th Jan 2019, 03:25
Thanks.

My company has opted to remove that information from our manuals. I'll have to try to source it somehow.

FCeng84
30th Jan 2019, 04:57
Boeing 777, 787, 777X will stay in Normal Mode with any one surface jammed. Very initial response to pilot input may not be as sharp due to reduced control power with a surface jammed, but pitch axis on 777 and all axes on 787 and 777X involve integral control in Normal Mode that will use the remaining surfaces to achieve commanded steady maneuver.

Goldenrivett
30th Jan 2019, 07:35
I'll have to try to source it somehow.
I found it by searching "aileron jam" - it is hidden under the 3rd level of detail.
If yours has been removed, then pm me and I'll send you screen shots of the relevant pages.