PDA

View Full Version : Instructor "for Sale"

rupetime
1st Aug 2002, 14:04
A question.....Im looking to spash out £4,000-£5,000 on
gaining my PPL is there anything stopping and instructor from teaching me on a non school aircraft in his own time ?

I assume the package prices offered by school's could be undercut by an someone with an Instructor's rating that can
get access to an aircraft - perhaps their are insurance issue's ?

rt

FormationFlyer
1st Aug 2002, 16:13
AFAIK you can only train for the purposes of gaining a PPL in the UK at a Registered Facility or FTO.

Whilst the instructor can teach you - no time outside of the approved organisations may be counted towards licence issue.

Anyone care to correct me?

pondlife
2nd Aug 2002, 12:04
That's true. Instructed hours can only be counted toward the PPL if they were gained at a registered training facility.
However, registration is not very difficult and there's nothing stopping an instructor registering as a training facility on his or her own.
I nearly did this once but I don't have my own plane and the registration requires that your training aircraft be stated. To re-register every time I got hold of a different plane would be far too much of a pain.

If an instructor has his/her own plane then this is all quite easy. And if the student has a suitably insured plane to learn in then that's quite easy also - so long as they don't mind that plane being registered at the instructors "training facility" as a training aircraft.

juggernaut
5th Aug 2002, 01:24
You can get an instructor to teach you on a non school aircraft if you are an owner or part owner of that aircraft. both you and your instructor must however be members of a club, operate from a licenced airfield and have fire cover. The aircraft must normally have a public transport C of A. If you are an owner, this is I think you will find not the case. The problem is finding an instructor who is freelance and willing to do the training. A flying school won't be happy with one of there instructors moonlighting in a private aircraft.