PDA

View Full Version : Microlight rental

Mooneyboy
21st Jan 2019, 12:44
Hello all,

I live in Stevenage area not far from a Luton and I’m looking at renting per hour a Eurostar/C42 or similar. I fly short haul airline and now look at getting back into GA flying and will have a NPPL (m).

I understand and that rental in Microlights is a little different compared to going down to your local club and renting a c152 but does anyone know if this is possible local to me?

Thanks

Mooneyboy

Genghis the Engineer
21st Jan 2019, 13:49
Microlight rental is quite rare, but there's a well regarded microlight club at Sandy - might be worth inquiring there.

http://www.bedfordmicrolightcentre.co.uk/

G

VictorGolf
21st Jan 2019, 17:38
And also Greg Burns at Little Gransden. He has C42s but I don't know about hiring.

chevvron
22nd Jan 2019, 05:00
Sorry if I'm out of date but as microlights operate on a Permit to Fly rather than C of A, do you not have to buy a 1/20th share in a microlight before you can hire it?

Mooneyboy
22nd Jan 2019, 07:13
Thankyou for your replies.

I saw somewhere a possible change in circumstances for hiring but so far what Ive come across seems to be where you pay a club fee either monthly or annually and then you can hire per hour. I believe to hire the microlight it has to have been factory built hence why there’s 3 C42 for hire Elstree (monthly membership fee) and I believe lightsports towards east London do similar as does Greg at Little Gransden.

Was as made me wonder if I was wrong is there is a Jabiru for hire on AFORS which just gives an hourly wet charge but no mention of joining/membership fee. If something like that was closer to me I would jump at the chance.

For me somewhere like Old Warden or Henlow would be great if someone was offering hire per hour (excepting the hourly cost will be more than share ownership).

Mooneyboy

WilliumMate
22nd Jan 2019, 07:18
You could give Rob Grimwood a call at Plaistows Farm near St Albans for advice and instruction.

Exodus Airsports - Welcome to Exodus Airsports (http://www.exodusairsports.co.uk/)

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Jan 2019, 17:17
Sorry if I'm out of date but as microlights operate on a Permit to Fly rather than C of A, do you not have to buy a 1/20th share in a microlight before you can hire it?

No.

Hiring for solo flying in Type Approved Microlights only was legalised with CAA permission in the early naughties, then after a flawless safety record for that, CAA accepted a BMAA case to also allow hiring with passenger carriage around a decade later.

G

Mooneyboy
23rd Jan 2019, 06:00
Thanks for the Info regarding Plaistowes didn’t know that place existed.

Seems to be some interesting wide range of new Microlights around compared to the old, tatty 1970/80’s C152 or warriors found at most flying clubs. Would be good if the rental market in this sector grows offering more locations.

chevvron
23rd Jan 2019, 21:40
You could give Rob Grimwood a call at Plaistows Farm near St Albans for advice and instruction.

Exodus Airsports - Welcome to Exodus Airsports (http://www.exodusairsports.co.uk/)
Wasn't this airfield originally started by Bob Pooley?

HarryMann
25th Jan 2019, 12:53
There's active Microlight and Light a/c flying and hangarage even nearer -. at Graveley. Tim who owns the strawberry farm there would be able to say if any side of their setup would suit you.

Mooneyboy
27th Jan 2019, 03:46
Didn’t even know at strip existed at Graveley. Will check them out. Thanks

chevvron
27th Jan 2019, 18:01
Didn’t even know at strip existed at Graveley. Will check them out. Thanks
Make sure you get the correct Graveley, there are two, (Northants and Hunts), the latter being a disused airfield.

Jan Olieslagers
27th Jan 2019, 18:20
??? wikipedia confirms there's two localities by that name, but places one in Cambridgeshire, the other in Hertfordshire?

But as aerodromes go, I only find one at +/- 51.9404 N , 0.2031 W - is that the active one, or the disused? must be the Hertfordshire one, if I understand anything about UK and its various subdivisions.

chevvron
27th Jan 2019, 18:38
??? wikipedia confirms there's two localities by that name, but places one in Cambridgeshire, the other in Hertfordshire?

But as aerodromes go, I only find one at +/- 51.9404 N , 0.2031 W - is that the active one, or the disused? must be the Hertfordshire one, if I understand anything about UK and its various subdivisions.
The one I went to in 1964 was in Hunts however a major change in county boundaries in 1973 may have moved it to Cambs.
Graveley - UK Airfield Guide (http://www.ukairfieldguide.net/airfields/Graveley)
Graveley private - UK Airfield Guide (http://www.ukairfieldguide.net/airfields/Graveley-private)

Mooneyboy
29th Jan 2019, 16:49
Managed to find in on skyscanner.

Flew an ILS on 26 into LTN and Rush Green was easy to spot due to the scrap yard but Graveley found harder to find.

Anyone any experience of the CFM Shadow? Does anyone know of one in this area round Stevenage way. Always been interested ever since I saw one in Pilot in the early 90’s.

Genghis the Engineer
29th Jan 2019, 17:58
I have flown various C, D and E series Shadows. They are nice to fly, but need a fair bit of TLC - I'd own one *IF* I didn't need to fly with a passenger much (it's a bit cramped in the back), and if I had a good dry hangar, maybe.

The best of them in my opinion is the CD with 503-2v engine, or DD/582, either with the extended rear footwell mod. The ASI overreads around 25%, and it has too many different materials in it for efficient manufacture - but they're enjoyable to fly with a reasonably loyal and helpful user community.

In my opinion, don't bother with one with any bigger engine than a 582, the airframe really doesn't need and can't sensibly use the extra power. Maybe the smaller winged Streak Shadow can - but not having flown that variant I can't speak from firsthand experience of those.

G

TRUTHSEEKER1
29th Jan 2019, 18:10
Wasn't this airfield originally started by Bob Pooley?

Plaistows was started by Derek Brunt in 1983 and still runs it to this day, Bob Pooley had a strip at Shendish that isn't there anymore.

Managed to find in on skyscanner.

Flew an ILS on 26 into LTN and Rush Green was easy to spot due to the scrap yard but Graveley found harder to find.

Anyone any experience of the CFM Shadow? Does anyone know of one in this area round Stevenage way. Always been interested ever since I saw one in Pilot in the early 90’s.

Plaistows is the hive of Shadow's.......Give them a call ..... In the Stevenage area is also Benington strip.

chevvron
29th Jan 2019, 22:49
Phil James at Redhill has a 582 engined DD for sale with trailer. I have flown it some years ago and yes I'm tempted!!

Mooneyboy
30th Jan 2019, 06:12
Thanks Genghis for some info on the Shadow. It certainly seems an intriguing microlight and after doing a little research the SkyArrow seems similar in design.

The appeal to me is the glider like cockpit and short field performance. It would be nice to carry passengers every now and then but not every time. I wouldn’t want to buy a shadow outright,would push to a share if the flying experience lived up to my expectations. Not the best in engineering hence part of the reason for renting from my first post.

I did ring the school at Plaistow and seemed really friendly. Certainly like there scheme of a monthly fee then a wet charge per hour on either EuroStar or something close to the Skyranger. Will head down there at some point soon especially if there’s a few shadows to look at in the flesh.