PDA

View Full Version : US forces 'shot down' a further four hijacked aircraft

Wedge
12th Sep 2001, 15:05
Unconfirmed reports emerging now of this incredible story that has been subject of a news blackout.

US Air Force yesterday shot down four more hijacked aircraft before they hit their targets.

Mister Geezer
12th Sep 2001, 15:24
To be honest I am not very surprised. Not very much info has come out on the crash in Pennsylvania and last night my money would of been on the US shooting that aircraft down but it looks like others have been affected as well.

No loss of live is acceptable but eliminating a hi-jacked airliner is a damage limitation exercise when you compare the potential loss of life when a airliner is in the wrong hands! :(

MG

scroggs
12th Sep 2001, 16:05
I've been watching BBC News 24 since 0800 today, and no such report has been mentioned. At a time when the US would want to publicise any success it had against terrorism, and when the US people would inundate the media whan even a suspicious-looking sparrow fell out of the sky, I think the idea that the crashes of four large aircraft could be or would be suppressed is not credible. I think a local junior hack has been watching 'Independence Day' just a bit too much.

Evo7
12th Sep 2001, 16:12
As I was driving home yesterday (about 7pm) there were continuing reports that there were concerns about a fifth aircraft (UAL?) that was unaccounted for. Anyone know how that ended - false alarm?

BTW, I agree fully with Scroggs. Can't believe it could be covered up.

The Guvnor
12th Sep 2001, 16:16
I understand this was reported on Sky News and ananova.com - so may be correct? If so, why weren't the additional aircraft declared 'downed' like the one in Pennsylvania?

Evo7
12th Sep 2001, 16:23
NOTHING on ananova.com - I've been signed up for e-mailed stories since yesterday. They haven't mentioned any further missing aircraft.

Haven't been following sky news, but nothing on the website now.

A7E Driver
12th Sep 2001, 16:42
A news blackout --- in America? It doesn't work that way guys.

millhampost
12th Sep 2001, 16:54
Maybe somebody with access to Flight Explorer could check this out. And answer the question one way or the other. There can only have been a limited number of flights departing NE US airports at 0830 to 0900.
Hopefully FE would show whether any of them disappeared.
EM

Wedge
12th Sep 2001, 16:55
The story came from Sky News, they reported it initially as unconfirmed and ran it for a few minutes on Skytext, but they have now withdrawn it. Suspect it may not be true.

It would appear to be very difficult to black out such a story in this day and age.

However I do wonder what happened to the jet that was reported hijacked and on its way to Washington - maybe this was confused for the one that crashed.

Maybe this thread should be deleted.

RATBOY
12th Sep 2001, 17:30
Rather than delete, maybe lock.

There were no other aircraft unaccounted for and none shot down.

There was a local rumor in N. Virgina area that another aircraft was inbound the Pentagon, that there was a hijacked aircraft circling IAD, and all kinds of other fanciful things.

The facts are bad enough

Golden Monkey
12th Sep 2001, 17:42
In relation to that Pentagon story above the press in the UK (the Telegraph at least) had got hold of this snippet from the scene immediately after the impact.

---

Overhead, an F-16 jet circled low round the building. A few moments later, a man with a megaphone ran down the line of uniformed workers yelling: "There's another plane on the way in. The F-16 is here to shoot it down. You cannot get far enough away from the Pentagon. Keep moving."

There was a palpable air of shock

---

caulfield
12th Sep 2001, 21:30
The wreckage pattern for the Pennsylvania a/c is not correct for a shoot-down.More likely this was the result of a struggle between pilots and hijackers.But who knows..god bless them all.