PDA

View Full Version : Report: German government to shut down Mahan Air ops in Germany

txl
27th Dec 2018, 12:45
According to an exclusive report by daily tabloid "Bild", the German government is planning to shut down Mahan Air operations to German airports as soon as January. Before, US security agencies had voiced concerns regarding Mahan Air, which is said to have close ties to the Mullah regime and the Revolutionary Guard Corps.

Mahan Air is connecting Teheran to Düsseldorf and Munich with A340 aircraft three to four days a week.

The airline's German sales agency is apparently being flooded with passengers' inquiries, but currently has no information. On its website, the agency points out that according to another article, Government hadn't confirmed the "Bild" report. But the referred article says that Government didn't want to comment, which is quite a difference in meaning.

Bild report (https://www.bild.de/politik/international/bild-international/mahan-air-german-government-stops-the-mullahsterror-airline-59175962.bild.html) (in English)

Hotel Tango
27th Dec 2018, 13:08
Not the first country to operate clandestine operations under the name of a seemingly "ordinary" airline,

flyboyike
27th Dec 2018, 14:43
Not the first country to operate clandestine operations under the name of a seemingly "ordinary" airline,

Nor the last.

AviatorDave
28th Dec 2018, 10:29
The Germans will shut down Mahan Air operations if the US tells them to do so, no matter if the concerns are valid or not. Taking into consideration that Germany has been a pretty good hiding spot for radical muslim fanatics that went largely unnoticed until something bad happened, I can only assume that German intelligence is not up to it and they are better safe than sorry by heeding US advice,

safelife
28th Dec 2018, 10:59
MahanAir has quite a history of poor status when being ramp checked, I'm aware of at least one occurrence in Dusseldorf which nearly did cost them their landing permission couple of years back.

AviatorDave
28th Dec 2018, 16:24
MahanAir has quite a history of poor status when being ramp checked, I'm aware of at least one occurrence in Dusseldorf which nearly did cost them their landing permission couple of years back.

Do you remember what exactly that was all about?

safelife
28th Dec 2018, 18:54
Paperwork, as far as I can recall. Ship’s papers weren't exactly complete and legal or so.