PDA

View Full Version : 737 NDB DME

CTLHC
19th Dec 2018, 19:47
Quick question. How do you display the DME for the NDB/DME approach? Does it need a localiser? How is the info displayed? If there is a serviceable ILS at the airfield, how can you remove those indications, LOC/G-S??

Skyjob
20th Dec 2018, 09:04
You select the frequency on which it's broadcast, either an ILS/DME or VOR/DME.
A VOR/DME readout will be on your ND (and RDMI if installed)
An ILS/DME readout will be on your PFD only
You can inhibit NAV functions you do not require, but no need to do so in most cases

Johnny F@rt Pants
20th Dec 2018, 09:25
Classic or NG?

FlightDetent
20th Dec 2018, 11:34
Aircraft, SIM, or flightsim?

Breakthesilence
20th Dec 2018, 13:43
Quick question. How do you display the DME for the NDB/DME approach? Does it need a localiser? How is the info displayed? If there is a serviceable ILS at the airfield, how can you remove those indications, LOC/G-S??

If it is for training purposes in the sim (to hide the ILS indications in case the DME is based on an ILS) you can make the cadet use the FIX Page for the distance so he/she can perform the NDB procedure without seeing the ILS.

If it is for training in real life you can consider a split flight deck with the PM having the ILS and reading the Distance and altitudes and the PF having NDB indications only. I would do that in optimum weather anyway...

If it is real life operations and no training, just fly the ILS :D

jimtx
20th Dec 2018, 15:31
If it is for training purposes in the sim (to hide the ILS indications in case the DME is based on an ILS) you can make the cadet use the FIX Page for the distance so he/she can perform the NDB procedure without seeing the ILS.

If it is for training in real life you can consider a split flight deck with the PM having the ILS and reading the Distance and altitudes and the PF having NDB indications only. I would do that in optimum weather anyway...

If it is real life operations and no training, just fly the ILS :D

The ILS might not be available in real life, at least quite a few years ago. I seem to remember KDTW occasionally losing the ILS in snowstorms due to snowbanks. I think an NDB was the only thing left on certain runways.

Breakthesilence
20th Dec 2018, 21:22
The ILS may not be available for a good reason
1) An NDB/DME is a doddle. I used to fly them daily in VS/HDG at a previous operator daily with no overlay from the FMC. Why are folk borderline afraid of them?
2)With an FMC Overlay it is even more of a doddle!
3) In the NG on the one time I did an NDB DME with it not in the box using an ILS based DME I did use Fix on my side and ILS tuned to the PM side for integrity check. Worked and no misleading indications.

May not be a doddle for a cadet starting to fly on a jetliner. I guessed he wanted to present a situation where the ILS indications shouldn't be there for a good reason (training).