PDA

View Full Version : How do you disconnect the Auto Pilot

Council Van
7th Dec 2018, 22:49
Is that auto pilot disconnect, when was it disconnected?

AAIB report

https://www.gov.uk/aaib-reports/aaib-investigation-to-bae-systems-operations-ltd-atp-se-mhf

Before I flew night freight I wouldn't have belived disconnecting the Auto pilot would be so challenging. However I remember once leveling off on departure in the early hours and then when we got further climb after winding in the new flight level not having a clue how to make the aircraft go up. I simply could not workout that I needed to select VNAV.

paradoxbox
8th Dec 2018, 15:31
In most boeings I know of there are not a lot of things outside of equipment failures that could stop you from selecting vnav, not to be a jerk but it may be worth hitting the books again?

hans brinker
8th Dec 2018, 16:01
In most boeings I know of there are not a lot of things outside of equipment failures that could stop you from selecting vnav, not to be a jerk but it may be worth hitting the books again?

I think he meant he needed to hit the pillows........

Council Van
8th Dec 2018, 17:15
I know how to make a B757 go up and down.

My point was that I was so tired at 4am in the morning on my 5th night on the bounce, without even realising how tired, I just could not remember how to do something so simple.

Thanks for your ill considered advice.

Just out of interest as night freight was proving to be to fatiguing for myself I left that company at the earliest opportunity.

jagema
8th Dec 2018, 19:27
If autopilot doesn't disconnect there is usually a DISENGAGE switchbar on the MCP that will trip out the system from operation (on Boeing aircraft).
There are many other ways to do it, even just pushing on the controls, or through other system switches (ie disconnecting autopilot trim switch).
Fatigue is a real thing, too

Old King Coal
8th Dec 2018, 21:14
Council Van (https://www.pprune.org/members/308643-council-van), maybe flying's not for you?... wherein the EASA FTL scheme, which has been worked out by experts no less (albeit experts that don't actually do our job and / or whom are hand & pocket in cahoots with the airlines) reliably inform us that this is all legal and therefore completely safe. #irony

Council Van
8th Dec 2018, 22:11
Council Van (https://www.pprune.org/members/308643-council-van), maybe flying's not for you?... wherein the EASA FTL scheme, which has been worked out by experts no less (albeit experts that don't actually do our job and / or whom are hand & pocket in cahoots with the airlines) reliably inform us that this is all legal and therefore completely safe. #irony
Actually it was pre EASA, I hate to think what they get away with on night freight FTL's now? Night freight was not for me as I struggled with the different times that I would get to bed every day, varying from 4 am to 8 am with little pattern. I also found it very difficult to sleep in the day in hotels and as I previously said took the first opportunity to to move away from that field of work as I was at risk of ending up dead.

Oddly enough the operator had negotiated a variation to FTL's with the CAA which were entirely in their favour and not the flight crews.

I was at one company where a college flaged his roster as being fatiguing, the company looked into it, came back and told him it was probably fatiguing but if he didn't do it then some one else would have to and they would be fatigued instead. What can you do when you get that response?

It is odd how in such a safety critical industry that fatigue is one thing that they pretend to be careful about but really don't give a sh1t about. I wonder if any one in EASA land has made their FTL's more restrictive yet due to pilot fatigue reports?

Council Van
9th Dec 2018, 08:03
Haven't heard of a state doing it but my previous operator rostered night freight to the FTL limit. After relentless fatigue reports they sent the safety team up to do a week of flying and the roster changed fairly quickly...

Farigue is very really though. I remember shortly after my first was born I was back on regional flying. I remember 'holding on' just following the flight directors until the other chap called 'Passing MSA' a few times then just handed over control. Had zero idea where we were on the SID or in relation to the airport. I would go as far to say if you can't relate you haven't been actually fatigued yet! The first time you realise what it is you realise it is quite frightening.
Sorry I meant have any airline since the new FTL's were introduced in EASA land.

misd-agin
9th Dec 2018, 13:49
You have to love this statement (turned a/p off "earlier than usual") -

On the ILS approach, with autopilot 2 (AP2) engaged, the aircraft descended through 1,000 ft in a normal (gear down, flaps 15°) but not yet stable configuration. The co-pilot decided to disconnect the autopilot earlier than usual to take advantage of the manual handling opportunity.

Wx - few at 1,700'. That's scary tough turning the a/p off "earlier than normal" yet still below 1,000'. At least the gear was already down so they didn't have to deal with any pitch and feel changes while configuring. Whew, scary stuff this flying business.