PDA

View Full Version : TSA claim for missing item after baggage inspection?

Mark in CA
2nd Dec 2018, 12:46
Anyone have any experience making a claim with the TSA after discovering something gone missing from their baggage after it had been "inspected" by their agents? On my last trip from IAD to BUD via LHR, my toiletries bag went missing and there was a TSA notice of inspection in the suitcase. Probably just forgot to repack it. Nothing valuable in there. But altogether, the items plus the bag itself add up to more than $60. I filed a claim via email three weeks ago and haven't even received an acknowledgment and claim number yet. Am thinking of filing again via fax.

RevMan2
3rd Dec 2018, 05:48
It takes ages and a day.I claimed for items damaged after a rummage through a bag and items subsequently incorrectly packed (An expensive book, removed from its protective cover and slung back in). Got a cheque/check after close to 6 months and after filling out reams of burocratic forms sent by snail mail

Mark in CA
3rd Dec 2018, 06:02
It takes ages and a day.I claimed for items damaged after a rummage through a bag and items subsequently incorrectly packed (An expensive book, removed from its protective cover and slung back in). Got a cheque/check after close to 6 months and after filling out reams of bureaucratic forms sent by snail mail
Prior to receiving the paperwork or your settlement, had you received a simple acknowledgment of your filing and a case number? How long did that take?

RevMan2
3rd Dec 2018, 09:49
Claimed in August 2014, response by mail March 2015 acknowledging liability. 9 months. Nothing in between. It then took them another 2 months to realise that not all their customers are American citizens with a SSN (prerequisite for processing, so they say) and work out a solution...

Mark in CA
4th Dec 2018, 11:32
Wouldn't you know, two days after starting this thread and today I received an acknowledgement of my claim from the TSA. Came by post, mailed on Nov 23, so subtract the ten days it took to get here! No decision, just acknowledging receipt of my claim and assigning a control number. Oh, and a message saying they are "looking forward to assisting [me] in an efficient manner throughout the claims resolution process."

RevMan2
4th Dec 2018, 12:37
No correlation between "efficient" and "expeditious", though....

Mark in CA
5th Dec 2018, 07:38
No correlation between "efficient" and "expeditious", though....
I doubt anyone there knows what expeditious means. :}