PDA

View Full Version : European Airline Pilot??

AHPilot
31st Jul 2002, 04:27
Hey everybody,
I'm new to the forum and am currently a pilot in the U.S. I've got my Private Pilots license and was just wondering about what it takes to fly in Europe. I just got back from a trip over there and it is amazing...I think it would be a great place to live and fly. What exactly does it take to convert an FAA license into the JAA--I think thats what it is...Do all the hours convert? What does it take to get a medical? What are the minimums reqs for a job over there? Any info would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,
Langston

WX Man
31st Jul 2002, 07:21
First of all you have to have the right to live and work in the EU. That done (by fair means or foul) you need to basically start from stage 1. So long as you have about 100h, you can start studying for the ATPL writtens (about 6 months full time). Take the exams, pass them (easier said than done) and then start the flight training. You will need to do a CPL course and then an IR course, after passing both of which you will have a 'frozen' ATPL (this becomes 'unfrozen' after passing 1500h).

Anyone else... please correct me if I'm wrong. I suspect my info is somewhat out of date.